Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all of this applies to Tesla. Junk like Leaf take 8 hours to charge for 75 miles
The 40 minute charge time on Tesla (which charge faster than others) gets you to 80% and now costs $15-20. You can sit in your nice warm car, surf the net, watch Netflix, or play video games
You time your bathroom, stretch, and lunch breaks around charging
The miles you get out of a charge is like a gas vehicle, it varies with how heavy your foot is. 90 mph will get you 235 miles either gas or Tesla. 55mph will get you closer to the EPA ratings. You also add miles on when you are going down hill (Regenerative breaking)
I did not hear of any of the infamous I-5 lines during the holidays. The infrastructure caught up to the sales. This may not apply in other areas. You need the infrastructure.
A route that I have taken extensively in both a Tesla and an SUV pulling a horse trailer (so iI was going slower with the trailer) takes me the same amount of time

all of this applies to Tesla. Junk like Leaf take 8 hours to charge for 75 miles
The 40 minute charge time on Tesla (which charge faster than others) gets you to 80% and now costs $15-20. You can sit in your nice warm car, surf the net, watch Netflix, or play video games
You time your bathroom, stretch, and lunch breaks around charging
The miles you get out of a charge is like a gas vehicle, it varies with how heavy your foot is. 90 mph will get you 235 miles either gas or Tesla. 55mph will get you closer to the EPA ratings. You also add miles on when you are going down hill (Regenerative breaking)
I did not hear of any of the infamous I-5 lines during the holidays. The infrastructure caught up to the sales. This may not apply in other areas. You need the infrastructure.
A route that I have taken extensively in both a Tesla and an SUV pulling a horse trailer (so iI was going slower with the trailer) takes me the same amount of time
Or we can spend 5 minutes, fill up and get back on the road. My wife's Grand Cherokee with a V8 Hemi has a 400 mile range. If I fill my pickup all the way I have a 1200+ mile range (100 gallons at 12-15 mpg).
I personally don't care what kind of vehicle a person buys. The only problem that I have with EVs is the government trying to force them on us. I think they do have a place for some people in certain applications, and should be available. Just not with government subsidizes or mandates.

Or we can spend 5 minutes, fill up and get back on the road. My wife's Grand Cherokee with a V8 Hemi has a 400 mile range. If I fill my pickup all the way I have a 1200+ mile range (100 gallons at 12-15 mpg).
I personally don't care what kind of vehicle a person buys. The only problem that I have with EVs is the government trying to force them on us. I think they do have a place for some people in certain applications, and should be available. Just not with government subsidizes or mandates.
The Govt forcing them down our throats is like the Govt regulating the gas can. How did that work out? So we agree on that.

Again I am not talking about the junk ones. From what I have seen grown organically (ok maybe some subsidies) They are building the car, the infrastructure and a different side of the industry. I am for them doing it on their own like they have been.
They do make a quick fun car. New one is probably faster than my old Porsche

I personally can’t drive 1200 miles, 400 miles without stretching. Maybe 150 to 200. That SUV I used was 50 miles Because it was uncomfortable for me.

The Govt forcing them down our throats is like the Govt regulating the gas can. How did that work out? So we agree on that.

Again I am not talking about the junk ones. From what I have seen grown organically (ok maybe some subsidies) They are building the car, the infrastructure and a different side of the industry. I am for them doing it on their own like they have been.
They do make a quick fun car. New one is probably faster than my old Porsche

I personally can’t drive 1200 miles, 400 miles without stretching. Maybe 150 to 200. That SUV I used was 50 miles Because it was uncomfortable for me.
It's just over 400 miles to our kids place. I usually fill up here at home, stop for breakfast after we hit the road and about half way there I'll stop at the reservation and buy a box of cigars. If I need to take a leak I just pull over on the side of the road and let it fly. The only time I've driven a thousand miles in a day was driving to Alaska or traveling to and from our place in Indiana. I don't like to stop unless necessary, like to fish or swim in the river.
Some day your going to have to give me a ride in your Tesla.

In my humble estimation only…EVs will not give me enough “bang” for my buck. It isn’t the cost to charge them. The problem lies solely in their years of actual use. Even if you get a good one with no problems. Most will not be running in a matter of 10 years, since replacing the battery is so expensive. They literally are throw away vehicles. Talk about bad for the earth! And this is before you even get into the issues with cold weather.

Repairing the battery packs is a cottage industry that has sprung up.
Gruber Motor Company started by repairing the original Roadsters and is now repairing other models batteries.
https://grubermotors.com/services/model-s-main-battery-pack-repair/
Its not like changing out your car battery. It’s more like 1000 D size batteries, find the bad ones and change it.

I expect others are out there also or soon will be.

It is my understanding (EW tell me if I am wrong) that lithium batteries cannot be charged if they are below 32ºF. The battery in my car (an AGM) will be below 20ºF (probably well below) when I crank the car in the morning. It will then recharge from the alternator immediately even at that low temperature.
I assume that the EVs have some sort of heater for the battery pack, but I can see scenarios where you could not immediately charge you EV in bitter cold weather.
One scenario would be you get home in 0ºF weather and plug in your nearly depleted battery pack and the power goes out. The battery heater then completely depletes you battery pack while waiting for the power to come back on. When the power comes back on you've got a 0ºF battery pack which cannot be charged until it is warmed up to 32ºF.

It is my understanding (EW tell me if I am wrong) that lithium batteries cannot be charged if they are below 32ºF. The battery in my car (an AGM) will be below 20ºF (probably well below) when I crank the car in the morning. It will then recharge from the alternator immediately even at that low temperature.
I assume that the EVs have some sort of heater for the battery pack, but I can see scenarios where you could not immediately charge you EV in bitter cold weather.
One scenario would be you get home in 0ºF weather and plug in your nearly depleted battery pack and the power goes out. The battery heater then completely depletes you battery pack while waiting for the power to come back on. When the power comes back on you've got a 0ºF battery pack which cannot be charged until it is warmed up to 32ºF.
The batteries do not charge as quickly.
From what I read about the Chicago situation-
People did not precondition their batteries for charging (around here it makes it charge quicker, I very rarely get below 32) so heater.
The charging stations themselves were down.
People left the car on defrost mode all night, drained the battery. Heavy frost around here takes 5 minutes.
Even heard of some people putting it in camper mode, so it heated the car all night.

As far as being out of juice in the morning- If you have an 1/8 of a tank of gas, you will have 1//8 in the morning. To keep the batteries optimal, you might lose some juice. The car will make noise in the cold to protect the battery. It also makes noise in 100 degree heat to keep them cool.

It’s a learning curve like any new technology. And you will always have idiots.

TeslaModelBurning.jpg

Latest posts

Back