Helpful Info. Chlorine Dioxide is not a miracle, its just wonderful chemistry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerns about chlorine dioxide part 1.
There is some unreacted sodium chlorite in the solution when you mix it with the acid (activator). Isn't sodium chlorite toxic?
Yes.

There are 2 (TWO) cases of medically significant sodium chlorite poisoning reported in medical literature. Both recovered but required medical intervention.
In one case a man accidentally drank a 28% sodium chlorite solution. He was using it to decontaminate fruit. He made up the solution in a cup, and later accidentally mixed up the cup of sodium chlorite solution with a cup of water and drank the solution.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576492/
However, to be on the safe side, if you allow the chlorine dioxide to evaporate, and then the gas to go into solution in some distilled water, there will be no unreacted sodium chlorite.

The apparatus looks something like this. An airtight glass or ceramic container with a smaller glass or ceramic container inside (like a heavy shot glass) Fill the outer container with distilled water, mix up a small amount of solution in the inner container, seal, place in a dark place overnight, and voila! purified chlorine dioxide solution! Remove the inner container and discard the mixture (pour it down the sink, which will disinfect your drain!)
Keep it in the fridge until needed.
1GZILfs.jpg

Get some chlorine dioxide test strips from Amazon to adjust the concentration (you want a maximum of about 40 ppm)
I would start with just a small amount of solution, test the outer container, and mix up more solution, let it sit overnight again. Repeat until you have the desired concentration.

To be on the safe side whenever you open the sealed container, do it under a vented range hood or do it outside.

Concerns about chlorine dioxide part 1.
There is some unreacted sodium chlorite in the solution when you mix it with the acid (activator). Isn't sodium chlorite toxic?
Yes.

There are 2 (TWO) cases of medically significant sodium chlorite poisoning reported in medical literature. Both recovered but required medical intervention.
In one case a man accidentally drank a 28% sodium chlorite solution. He was using it to decontaminate fruit. He made up the solution in a cup, and later accidentally mixed up the cup of sodium chlorite solution with a cup of water and drank the solution.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576492/
However, to be on the safe side, if you allow the chlorine dioxide to evaporate, and then the gas to go into solution in some distilled water, there will be no unreacted sodium chlorite.

The apparatus looks something like this. An airtight glass or ceramic container with a smaller glass or ceramic container inside (like a heavy shot glass) Fill the outer container with distilled water, mix up a small amount of solution in the inner container, seal, place in a dark place overnight, and voila! purified chlorine dioxide solution! Remove the inner container and discard the mixture (pour it down the sink, which will disinfect your drain!)
Keep it in the fridge until needed.
1GZILfs.jpg

Get some chlorine dioxide test strips from Amazon to adjust the concentration (you want a maximum of about 40 ppm)
I would start with just a small amount of solution, test the outer container, and mix up more solution, let it sit overnight again. Repeat until you have the desired concentration.

To be on the safe side whenever you open the sealed container, do it under a vented range hood or do it outside.

If it's made correctly, the gassed CD solution should be about 3000 ppm, which is beyond most test strips, instead test the dosage you made with 4 ounces of distilled water and it should test about 40 ppm. 20-60 ppm is fine and even a little less or more is ok, just increase/decrease the drops accordingly.

I prefer to make the final concentration in one step instead of making it stronger then diluting it down. Just simpler, and possibly safer that way. Anything to streamline and mitigate risks. My chemical engineering training you know...I can't help it...šŸ˜

I prefer to make the final concentration in one step instead of making it stronger then diluting it down. Just simpler.

I use a lot of it, so I make 1 liter bottles of the 3000 ppm, then dispense it to smaller 4 0z. Bottles to mix into whatever sizes we need. I have 12 different people using it at 3 different locations. I make a batch every 6-8 months.

Concerns about chlorine dioxide, part 2.

Isn't chlorine dioxide gas dangerous to work with?

I answer that question with my another question: Isn't chlorine gas dangerous to work with?

Yes and no...Depends on the concentration. Chlorine gas has been used as a chemical weapon. Yet, you are exposed to chlorine gas every time you go to the swimming pool, you can even smell it.

If you make it the way I do, then you are never exposed to dangerous levels of chlorine dioxide gas.

But to be safe, work with it under a vented range hood.

If it's made correctly, the gassed CD solution should be about 3000 ppm, which is beyond most test strips, instead test the dosage you made with 4 ounces of distilled water and it should test about 40 ppm. 20-60 ppm is fine and even a little less or more is ok, just increase/decrease the drops accordingly.
I just make for myself, and I would imagine most people here would only be making it for themselves and one or two others.
The stronger the solution, the more rapidly you lose chlorine dioxide gas to evaporation and degradation. By storing it in the final diluted concentration, it keeps longer.
I lost about 50% in a couple of weeks in an airtight container in the fridge when I kept it in a more concentrated solution.

I just make for myself, and I would imagine most people here would only be making it for themselves and one or two others.
The stronger the solution, the more rapidly you lose chlorine dioxide gas to evaporation and degradation. By storing it in the final diluted concentration, it keeps longer.
I lost about 50% in a couple of weeks in an airtight container in the fridge when I kept it in a more concentrated solution.

I don't know why you would lose that much.
I've kept it for about a year without degrading more than 20%.

I keep mine in 1 liter laboratory brown glass containers with airtight caps. I keep it in a refrigerator.

I don't know why you would lose that much.
I've kept it for about a year without degrading more than 20%.

I keep mine in 1 liter laboratory brown glass containers with airtight caps. I keep it in a refrigerator.

Same reason a bottle of Perrier loses fizz every time I open it.

Look, it that works for you, GREAT! But one size doesn't fit all.

Concerns about chlorine dioxide part 3.

While looking up references about how chlorine dioxide works and how it reacts with other chemicals, I came across this article. It doesn't talk about medicinal uses at all, other than disinfection of medical devices, just how it reacts and the mechanism of how it kills bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. It explains why chlorine dioxide is a very selective free radical.
https://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-chlorine-dioxide.htm

Concerns about chlorine dioxide part 3.

While looking up references about how chlorine dioxide works and how it reacts with other chemicals, I came across this article. It doesn't talk about medicinal uses at all, other than disinfection of medical devices, just how it reacts and the mechanism of how it kills bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. It explains why chlorine dioxide is a very selective free radical.
https://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-chlorine-dioxide.htm
I am not trying to start a fight, but I need to address a few things there.

You quote "Very selective" from that paper. Selective to what? Just living organisms and not organic contaminants and minerals? It seems to me that you skimmed that article and grabbed the first line that made the case for CD sound a little better while ignoring the rest, a trick we all have been seeing too much of lately.

How come you didn't quote the important parts of that paper, like how 5-15mg/L increases the mutagenity of water? 5-15mg/L represents .00007-.0002 mol/L, and with there being 55.5 moles of water in a liter, 5-15mg/L translates to 1-4 ppm. In other words, that article you linked to states that 1-4ppm is mutagenic.

What about the part directly under "How does it work" that says it directly reacts with the amino acids and RNA in living cells. Now that sounds promising! So does the part about it killing microorganisms, even the inactive ones, without any chance of them building up tolerance. It's not like our bodies use microorganisms beneficially in nearly every part of us from our skin to our stomachs, so just line me up a shot and let me join the club!

I don't care what people do with their bodies. The authors didn't expect any of it to be drank freshly prepared when writing that, they intended it to do its job killing stuff in drinking water before it is consumed at the tap. How long do you wait to drink water you add household bleach to? Just curious... Nothing about "part 3" makes me feel any safer drinking CD.

Last edited:

You quote "Very selective" from that paper. Selective to what? Just living organisms and not organic contaminants and minerals? It seems to me that you skimmed that article and grabbed the first line that made the case for CD sound a little better while ignoring the rest, a trick we all have been seeing too much of lately.

How come you didn't quote the important parts of that paper, like how 5-15mg/L increases the mutagenity of water? 5-15mg/L represents .00007-.0002 mol/L, and with there being 55.5 moles of water in a liter, 5-15mg/L translates to 1-4 ppm. In other words, that article you linked to states that 1-4ppm is mutagenic.

What about the part directly under "How does it work" that says it directly reacts with the amino acids and RNA in living cells. Now that sounds promising! So does the part about it killing microorganisms, even the inactive ones, without any chance of them building up tolerance. It's not like our bodies use microorganisms beneficially in nearly every part of us from our skin to our stomachs, so just line me up a shot and let me join the club!

I don't care what people do with their bodies. The authors didn't expect any of it to be drank freshly prepared when writing that, they intended it to do its job killing stuff in drinking water before it is consumed at the tap. How long do you wait to drink water you add household bleach to? Just curious... Nothing about "part 3" makes me feel any safer drinking CD.

Dont drink it! You are here to to fight, based on several of your previous statements. Most of your statements are false, based on biased assumptions. You obviously don't want to know anything about CDS if you believe it's household bleach. Please leave this thread! And don't drink CDS. I also recommend you get a Covid-19 vaccine booster as often as it's recommended by the CDC. So you can make sure your safe.

As I mentioned, that article does not talk about medicinal purposes one way or the other. The article was for background information only on some properties of chlorine dioxide and how chlorine dixoide works, not to prove anything about the medicinal value or safety (which the article DOES NOT ADDRESS)

For medicinal purposes, you are taking a much much smaller amount at higher concentration than if you are routinely drinking water treated with chlorine dioxide as a disinfectant, which is what the article was talking about.

You quote "Very selective" from that paper. Selective to what?

Chlorine dioxide as an oxidizer
As an oxidizer chlorine dioxide is very selective. It has this ability due to unique one-electron exchange mechanisms. Chlorine dioxide attacks the electron-rich centers of organic molecules. One electron is transferred and chlorine dioxide is reduced to chlorite (ClO2- ).
By comparing the oxidation strength and oxidation capacity of different disinfectants, one can conclude that chlorine dioxide is effective at low concentrations.
Chlorine dioxide is not as reactive as ozone or chlorine and it only reacts with sulphuric substances, amines and some other reactive organic substances. In comparison to chlorine and ozone, less chlorine dioxide is required to obtain an active residual disinfectant. It can also be used when a large amount of organic matter is present.
The oxidation strength describes how strongly an oxidizer reacts with an oxidizable substance. Ozone has the highest oxidation strength and reacts with every substance that can be oxidized. Chlorine dioxide is weak, it has a lower potential than hypochlorous acid or hypobromous acid.

How come you didn't quote the important parts of that paper, like how 5-15mg/L increases the mutagenity of water?
I guess you missed the next two sentences. Because it is such an effective biocide, the organisms used to determine mutagenity die before they can complete the mutagenity tests.

It is difficult to prove the mutagenity of chlorine dioxide and chlorine dioxide byproducts, because the substances are biocides. Biocides usually kill the indicator organisms that are used to determine mutagenity.

I guess you missed the next two sentences. Because it is such an effective biocide, the organisms used to determine mutagenity die before they can complete the mutagenity tests.

It is difficult to prove the mutagenity of chlorine dioxide and chlorine dioxide byproducts, because the substances are biocides. Biocides usually kill the indicator organisms that are used to determine mutagenity.
It doesn't matter if the half life in the body is a fraction of a second (in fact, that makes me worry more). It clearly stated the emchanism of action on living cells and that mechanism sucks. You guys drink what you want lol.

Ain't trying to build bad blood on the forum here, just thought I'd share (what seems like) a legit concern. I do know that it won't kill anyone right away, so the critical data should be coming in within a couple decades. Generations to come will be thankful for all of your bravery in your medical expiramentation. Can't wait to see what happens long term for those who truly believe in it.

How long do you wait to drink water you add household bleach to? Just curious... Nothing about "part 3" makes me feel any safer drinking CD.
I will say this- drinking water is bleached all the time. If you buy/sell a house with a well, it gets tested. If the tests come back unfavorable, that's actually how they take care of the microorganisms is by dumping bleach in it. Gross, but true.

I'm not saying that's an argument for this, but it's not really an argument against it, either.

I will say this- drinking water is bleached all the time. If you buy/sell a house with a well, it gets tested. If the tests come back unfavorable, that's actually how they take care of the microorganisms is by dumping bleach in it. Gross, but true.

I'm not saying that's an argument for this, but it's not really an argument against it, either.
The amounts of bleach used for water disinfection is usually based on approximate contamination levels and much of it decomposes before being consumed.

Fair question I think: Why is it that most CD advocates will reference bleaching residential water supplies as supporting evidence to safety when in all of those cases the chlorine content is heavily monitored and adjusted to ensure they only use enough to kill whats in the water? CD people drink that stuff FRESH, something you DO NOT SEE at water treatment facilities and in homes using city water. It is simply not the same situation.

Im not going to shock my well then pour a glass of water while it is pumping through the system and back down the well casing. That would be dumb and nobody does that, but the idea that people do so is somehow being pushed as evidence here as if it isn't obvios those two cases are significantly different.

"Part 3" already established that the mechanism of disinfection isn't even the same..

Last edited:
Fair question I think: Why is it that most CD advocates will reference bleaching residential water supplies as supporting evidence to safety when in all of those cases the chlorine content is heavily monitored and adjusted to ensure they only use enough to kill whats in the water? CD people drink that stuff FRESH, something you DO NOT SEE at water treatment facilities and in homes using city water. It is simply not the same situation.

Im not going to shock my well then pour a glass of water while it is pumping through the system and back down the well casing. That would be dumb and nobody does that, but the idea that people do so is somehow being pushed as evidence here as if it isn't obvios those two cases are significantly different.

Not to mention that "part 3" already established that the mechanism of disinfection isn't even the same...
I literally just said it's not an argument for CD, but okay.

And not only that, you are the one who brought up bleach.

I'm done here.

"Part 3" already established that the mechanism of disinfection isn't even the same..

Brent is that you?

Latest posts

Back