Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true! Simply spending the day outdoors makes a person hungrier. Raising meat animals takes much less calories than growing vegetables.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably change my diet considerably if things get bad. I do eat a lot of eggs now, but I'll want more red meat especially if being outside.
I wish I had decent pasture for some cattle or the family farm was still around. I'm craving a juicy black angus steak!

I have toyed with the idea of getting some meat cows or goats...but since I have an ample supply of lean, organic, "free range" venison on the hoof, and I know how to kill, clean, butcher and cook it so that it is sweet, tender and succulent, it is not high on the priorities right now.
Frtkdgh.png

Hunting is no doubt fantastic right now. But when a true starvation time hits, it will not be. All one has to do is reflect upon the Great Depression. It did not take that long for the animals to disappear. Many didn’t even see a deer for 15 to 20 years. Our population is a lot larger now than then.

Hunting is no doubt fantastic right now. But when a true starvation time hits, it will not be. All one has to do is reflect upon the Great Depression. It did not take that long for the animals to disappear. Many didn’t even see a deer for 15 to 20 years. Our population is a lot larger now than then.
I like reality . We may have to think about smaller game after the initial wildlife extermination . Very plausible we will be in this stage by this time next year though I realize many can not grasp the severity of what may be ahead .

I like reality . We may have to think about smaller game after the initial wildlife extermination . Very plausible we will be in this stage by this time next year though I realize many can not grasp the severity of what may be ahead .

Agree. Hunt at the very beginning and then sit back and let others fight it out in the forests. Having rabbits that are quiet and supply so much meat will be invaluable during that period of 6 months or so.

In 1890 the deer population in the United States and Canada combined was about 300,000, and by 1900 people thought deer were going extinct. It got even lower before the Great Depression even hit. It's close to 30,000,000 now in just the US alone.

Besides, most people back then knew how to hunt. They don't now.

Besides, most people back then knew how to hunt. They don't now.

Very valid point, but that will not keep those who have never hunted or even previously owned a gun out of the forests. I see the places where animals are as being real magnets. Can you imagine how many humans will be accidentally or even on purpose shot? It would be like waiting to the very end to go to Walmart and get groceries. Bad idea! Just my opinion.

I think for long term meat, rabbits will be the solution. I believe that when it does hit the fan, too many inexperienced people will drive the game to cover. Even if these folks don't kill off all the game, they will scare the game farther back into the countryside. Plus there will be the added danger of being shot by these new hunters. Some of them will shoot at anything that moves, including other hunters.

We certainly have plenty of deer here... and hunters. Where we live is the countryside deer get scared to.

We have the rabbits, but I am a softie and prefer not to eat them unless I have to. Our meat doe breed is getting close to the age we have to breed her, so I am going to have to get over it. As far as meat goes I like venison a lot better than rabbit, though. Rabbit reminds me of frog legs for some reason. I have only had frog legs a couple of times, but it left an impression.

Just wondering if the shooting will be by accident or maybe??????

My oldest son had a run in with 3 other hunters in the forest a couple of years ago. He lives way out in the country with all large farms and forests around him. One morning he was out on his property deer hunting and a big buck goes running past him. He shot it. About 15 minutes later, as he is loading it up on his Polaris these 3 guys come through the woods and demanded the deer. Said they had been tracking it all morning. My son laughed at them and told them to get off his property or there would be trouble. Luckily they left. But can you imagine an incident like that after SHTF?

We certainly have plenty of deer here... and hunters. Where we live is the countryside deer get scared to.

We have the rabbits, but I am a softie and prefer not to eat them unless I have to. Our meat doe breed is getting close to the age we have to breed her, so I am going to have to get over it. As far as meat goes I like venison a lot better than rabbit, though. Rabbit reminds me of frog legs for some reason. I have only had frog legs a couple of times, but it left an impression.

My one doe just had 12 kits!!! That is a record for me!

I have seen 1940’s pictures of deer hanging in front of the original ranch house that used to be across the street.
More deer than I see in a year up here.
I don’t know if they hunted what is now the now park next door or went the 35 miles back to the next paved road on fire roads. They aren’t around like what I saw back east. But they go down easier than white tails.
Still enough to feed 2 of us.
Maybe the hoard will push them or the elk up to me.

That is awesome!!! All live?

Angora typically have fewer kits, so that is a huge litter to me!

All alive and doing well! What also surprised was the nice size of all of them. She is a rare good mama too! Started making nests and pulling her hair before she was even bred. What type of meat rabbits do you have?

Latest posts

Back