Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1685270134358.jpeg

All alive and doing well! What also surprised was the nice size of all of them. She is a rare good mama too! Started making nests and pulling her hair before she was even bred. What type of meat rabbits do you have?
We have Californians. The doe is not proven, so I need to breed her to see if she's going to work. We have another show rabbit breed that we could cross if she's not.

I don't know why I'm so nervous to do it. I think just because I am afraid I would have the babies and then not be able to put them in the freezer and I would be overrun. But I could always enlist my husband to do it if I couldn't, so I need to grow a backbone! Otherwise, I just have two nameless rabbits taking up cage space.

Do you grow your hay for them? I'm planning on planting out alfalfa and oats but couldn't find small amounts of timothy grass seed- only huge bags. We planted red clover for me anyway, so there's some but not enough of it.

We feed a mix of black oil sunflower, pellets, oats, and such along with timothy hay to our show rabbits to improve body and coat, so I'm growing a lot of sunflower. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a breed other than Californians so I could harvest pelts if needed. Theirs are awful.

We have Californians. The doe is not proven, so I need to breed her to see if she's going to work. We have another show rabbit breed that we could cross if she's not.

I don't know why I'm so nervous to do it. I think just because I am afraid I would have the babies and then not be able to put them in the freezer and I would be overrun. But I could always enlist my husband to do it if I couldn't, so I need to grow a backbone! Otherwise, I just have two nameless rabbits taking up cage space.

Do you grow your hay for them? I'm planning on planting out alfalfa and oats but couldn't find small amounts of timothy grass seed- only huge bags. We planted red clover for me anyway, so there's some but not enough of it.

We feed a mix of black oil sunflower, pellets, oats, and such along with timothy hay to our show rabbits to improve body and coat, so I'm growing a lot of sunflower. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a breed other than Californians so I could harvest pelts if needed. Theirs are awful.

Culling rabbits is not easy for most women. I don’t find it pleasant either. There is no doubt we will both feel differently about it if we or our kids actually need the nourishment. So far I have not raised my own hay. I’m in a group of farmers that sell or trade it.

Hunting is no doubt fantastic right now. But when a true starvation time hits, it will not be. All one has to do is reflect upon the Great Depression. It did not take that long for the animals to disappear. Many didn’t even see a deer for 15 to 20 years. Our population is a lot larger now than then.
It's unlikely that many (any) people would be hunting up here after SHTF. Without fuel and vehicles, it's too hard to get around here.

Been walking around in a fog like daze over the last week, the grandkids are over for the weekend it so good to have such a distraction maybe the foggy daze will stay away for awhile remeber the one that kept us free and safe over the years, I slute all my military brothers in arm, I hope the good Lord will wrap his arms around each and every one of you and your families too and keep you safe like you kept us safe

Been walking around in a fog like daze over the last week, the grandkids are over for the weekend it so good to have such a distraction maybe the foggy daze will stay away for awhile remeber the one that kept us free and safe over the years, I slute all my military brothers in arm, I hope the good Lord will wrap his arms around each and every one of you and your families too and keep you safe like you kept us safe
Take care of yourself. Losing someone you built a life with would be devastating. I pray the good Lord wraps his arms around YOU in this time of grief.

Thinking of you Riden and sending prayers for your angels to comfort you. Hang in there and accept the pain. With time you will come out of the fog and the pain will ease.

Just returned from an 3 day prepper weekend on 1400m over sealevel. Small valley, maybe 2, 2.5 Miles wide. Clear and clean water. Talking, cooking over campfire, eating, having an good time. I bet i gained a few kg's.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_180654099.jpg
    IMG_20230527_180654099.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230527_233311929.jpg
    IMG_20230527_233311929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back