Alternative Methods

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Consider An Alternative Fuel Source IS Good Medicine, but don't forget about the Obvious Fuel,...Gasoline !....At some point there will be abandoned vehicles (and bodies) littering certain areas, because they couldn't move, due to stopped-up , clogged roads....Ergo .Fuel Source....You need a portable hand crank pump (Oil Grade) with rubber flexible (Oil Grade again) hose (approx 1/4 " ID and about 5ft in length) and small containers to siphon the gas into,...I have one ready to go, and I put it together for under $50.00 !!.......
Way faster to have a funnel with a hose attached to it and punch a hole in the bottom of the gas tank and drain it into a bladder.

ya i suppose i could make him do it, but i'd like to keep him around and swallowing gas is counterintuitive to doing so lol

The most reliable transportation is the LPC (Leather Personnel Carrier) when all else fails. Be prepared to hump it in and out. Carry with you only that which you need. Stay light and stay in shape. I personnaly hope this is not the case because it would really suck, but walking must be considered as a possiblity.

I agree....I think everyone one needs to prepare for a "Book of Eli" type situation because chances are most fuel resources will dwindle within a couple months and everyone will be forced to walk.

5.5 gal of water with a bag of sugar and 2 cups of yeast, let set for 3 days and you will have 5 to 6% alcohol. more sugar and yeast, the stronger it gets. and if you distil this again it becomes stronger. you can get this to run anything from a jet engine to a lawn mower. now i do not know the long term effects on the engine and seeing how the compression is different, it may cause problems down the road. but if its what you need to do then go for it.

I noticed that people are worried about EMPs and was thinking that a Faraday Cage should negate that problem. You could put them around your residence or your vehicle. That would protect your electronics at the very least. The main concern I think though is that other than a solar flare, EMPs tend to be cause by nuclear explosions. The thing is if your close enough for the EMP to wipe your electronis out your close enough to get hit with the blast, if I remember right.

If we have to bug and the vehicles are a no go, we'll be going courtesy of horse power. We've got the horse, couple of wagons, pack frames and panniers, all the harness and tack we need. We'll load up and mosey on down the line.

One of the reasons vodka is one of the things people say should be kept is that vodka is very effective when making herbal tinctures for medicines. Works better than plain water most of the time to draw the healing properties from the plants. It will also help to calm a cough, a sugar tit dipped in a wee bit of vodka or whiskey will calm a colicky baby as well.

I always wanted to build me a small steam engine to power a boat. We have water and rivers everywhere here. But just one of those things i ve never gotten around to doing.

If you go looking for fuel, gasoline doesn't hold up to age, white fuel (such as coleman fuel) will hold up 10 to 15yrs unopened but white fuel is about 50-55 octane thus you would need octane booster to effectively work in combustible engines though newer engines need certain additives do to emissions also alcohol is very bad for rubber o-rings that's used on vehicle engines, the o-rings would have to be changed out and replaced with epdm on a good number of engines, if anyone has made a whiskey still knows the important's of o-rings material ;)

True, just need to pick up some farrier's tools and learn the basics in shoing to keep their feet in good shape.

Question, it seems the discussion is about leaving after an incident. Why not before, taking it for granted that we can understand that something will happen? One of the preparations I have on my draw board is to have a place to go to and know how to get there ahead of the situation. Anyway, plan A is to stay, plan B is to leave.

Isn't it amazing we have all these plans. What happens when we are nowhere near our homes. I travel a lot so I always am ready to have to hoof it back. Something to think about when you go on vacation. Or worse, you're in Munich for Octoberfest when the SHTF. I'm glad it didn't because it was an awesome time!

I think about it all the time. It makes me despise going anywhere that I have to abandon some of my planning and preps in order to think of possible s scenarios and solutions to get my life on track. I even hate just going to town just because it places me in a weaker position than I was in.

Isn't it amazing we have all these plans. What happens when we are nowhere near our homes. I travel a lot so I always am ready to have to hoof it back. Something to think about when you go on vacation. Or worse, you're in Munich for Octoberfest when the SHTF. I'm glad it didn't because it was an awesome time!

We don't leave the country anymore, haven't for a number of years, wife and I don't travel abroad separately and generally we are no more then 3 miles apart at any given time, the vehicles are already stocked, all shopping, doctor appointment are done together, we know exactly where each other are. Vacations, camping, hiking, canoeing and are done at the same locations, we pre-stocked the areas we vacation since these areas are also our bug-out locations ;)

We're normally within 30 miles of home, we're pretty set in where we go and don't stray much from routine. This meet up in Tennessee kind of gives me willies because not only will I be far from home, but I'm also incapacitated for the summer at the very least. What is making me feel better is that I'm going to be around people that are a lot like me and have their act together. Would I be going if it were, say a scrap book club campout, not a chance, not right now.

You do have a valid point Warriorhealer, got to be ready for whatever, whenever and wherever it may happen.

Latest posts

Back