Books on preparing "alternative" game animals?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in WI

Reaction score
I grew up shooting deer, pheasant, grouse, bunnies.... all the common game animals. Here in Wisconsin, it isn't common to eat a number of furbearers or other animals we consider mostly to be pests. I'm thinking racoon, opossum, critters like that. From what I understand, they can be delicious if you know how to butcher and prepare them. The butchering requires removing any glands.

I've never done it, and can't find any clear info on how to go about it. Still, as common as these animals are, I think I need to figure it out..

can anyone recommend a reference for butchering and cooking these kind of "alternative" game animals?

I grew up shooting deer, pheasant, grouse, bunnies.... all the common game animals. Here in Wisconsin, it isn't common to eat a number of furbearers or other animals we consider mostly to be pests. I'm thinking racoon, opossum, critters like that. From what I understand, they can be delicious if you know how to butcher and prepare them. The butchering requires removing any glands.

I've never done it, and can't find any clear info on how to go about it. Still, as common as these animals are, I think I need to figure it out..

can anyone recommend a reference for butchering and cooking these kind of "alternative" game animals?
I've eaten beaver, muskrat, raccoon, bobcat and mountain lion. All are good. I think my mom would soak muskrat quarters in milk before rolling in flour and cooking.
Your right about the importance of removing all of the glands first. On many critters the best option is to just skin and quarter them and cook the way you prefer.
Many old cook books have recipes for 'coon, beaver and muskrat. Many restaurants used to carry these animals on their menu, some still do.

Brining raccoon, as well as taking off as much fat as possible, has always been the recommended way.
Soaking in milk is a good suggestion.
I had elk that wasn’t very good. We started doing pieces marinated in spiedie sauce. Made it edible. Same elk in Buttermilk was delicious.

As has been discussed not long ago, taste will most often depend on what the critter ate. Corn fed raccoon needs no special treatment other than tenderizing. It is quite tasty. If you country fry it, make sure to simmer it in the gravy a half hour or so.
I'd recommend starting with rabbit when learning how to skin and clean game animals. Their skin is very loose and comes off easily. Country fried rabbit is always good and tender. I've eaten cottontails and swamp rabbits. Rabbits are picky about what they eat which means you normally don't have to worry about what they've been chowing down on.

Latest posts

Back