Alternative Methods

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its funny to me that there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to this subject. let me tell you all something as an experienced transporter; start thinking of an alternative means of transport than anything that runs on gasoline/diesel. i am not going to get into a huge story about my plan, but, i will say this; my bug out location is just under one full tank of gasoline in my 4x4 SUV. i keep one additional tank-full (18gallons) in portable containers in my garage. the plan is when the SHTF, my wife, daughter and i grab the 3 giant duffel bags in the hallway closet full of our supplies, load the 5 gas containers, load the 5x5gallon water jugs (more than enough water to get to our location) and start heading out.

once we get there, we are done with the SUV. we have a solar, wind and human-powered electricity grid that i designed that will provide our power. and being that we will be in a fortified underground bunker, we really wont need transportation for the time period lasting up until 5 years that our provisions allow.

however. eventually, the disaster will pass. (unless it is a planet-killer scenario; in that situation, read my other posts about the group i am organizing to plan for that) once we emerge from underground, safely traveling from our location will be accomplished by...2 ATVs. One for my daughter and I, one for the wife. the remaining fuel in our SUV, the extra i bring with us, and the 25+ gallons i keep in our bunker (plus scavenged fuel) will allow us to travel roughly 1000 miles in any direction. our sailboat is only 65 miles from our bunker and is completely inaccessible to looters both due to it's location and how it is anchored. unless you brought scuba gear, you aint taking my boat.

anyways. as a transporter, i know the value of motorized vehicles. i think my main point is, you need to have multiple modes of transportation and the fuel to power them. but more importantly, you need to have multiple secure locations to get to.

its funny to me that there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to this subject. let me tell you all something as an experienced transporter; start thinking of an alternative means of transport than anything that runs on gasoline/diesel.
I couldn't agree more! As a former cross country truck driver, getting to where i have to go with out a motorized vehicle or one that takes an alternative fuel is of great importance to me and the safety of my family. This why I am currently looking for an alternate bug out location(s) as i am a city dweller and that is a problem in of itself.

dang steadypreppen, thats one hell of a plan!
i could only wish to do half of what you've done, sadly im of the poor kind and cant afford a plan like that.
my plan is to go primal in the forest. atm i dont have a gun, but i have a mechete, knifes, 2 bows along with my other gear.
i know how to make a few different traps, from small to large game, and i know how to build shelter.
i dont live very far from forestery, and if my car becomes a problem, my plan is to walk/jog/run to my destination.
if, when shtf too long, i have plans of building generated wind turbines that can suit a household and there are plenty of solar panels i can scavenge from different places if need be too.

dang steadypreppen, thats one hell of a plan!
i could only wish to do half of what you've done, sadly im of the poor kind and cant afford a plan like that.
my plan is to go primal in the forest. atm i dont have a gun, but i have a mechete, knifes, 2 bows along with my other gear.
i know how to make a few different traps, from small to large game, and i know how to build shelter.
i dont live very far from forestery, and if my car becomes a problem, my plan is to walk/jog/run to my destination.
if, when shtf too long, i have plans of building generated wind turbines that can suit a household and there are plenty of solar panels i can scavenge from different places if need be too.
He does have quite the elaborate plan to be sure!

if your plans a turd, mines but a piece of corn lodged in said turd. rofl
The problem I have is I am in OC, and getting to the desert or forest areas is going to be a major pain. My thought is to perhaps hang out for a few day until the people are gone, then try and work my way to where I need to go. The two major obstacles I have is both carrying fuel, and abandoned cars on the roads. Of course then roving gangs of thugs doesn't help either, but I hope I am leaving before they start banding together.

come up on some dirt bikes, or atvs.
tbh i think people will start pilladging before banding together.
you may only have a few hours to gtfo.

come up on some dirt bikes, or atvs.
tbh i think people will start pilladging before banding together.
you may only have a few hours to gtfo.
I do agree that my window of opportunity to get out safely will be somewhat limited. I am not sure how many people will take to the local hills in Orange county.
I am sure Irvine Lake will be fished clean in nothing flat. I also somehow have to get to where my ex-wife lives, 13 miles away, so I can get my son if i do not happen to have him when it all goes south.

tbh, i think getting your son to safty should be first priority.
feeding second.
if you look around theres plenty to eat, although not desirable.
heck, even ants are protine.
the problem is finding it before others do...... well and stomaching the nastyness of some other insects/food lol

tbh, i think getting your son to safty should be first priority.
feeding second.
if you look around theres plenty to eat, although not desirable.
heck, even ants are protine.
the problem is finding it before others do...... well and stomaching the nastyness of some other insects/food lol
He is priority number 1 to be sure. luckily if i get him from school there is a farm across the street and if it has been attacked
quickly, i might can grab some chickens, duck, pig, cow, if worse comes to worse a horse will do.

lol ya any meat will do, heck ill even eat lizard lol
you ever thought about caging 2 rabbits, in different cages for now, and breeding your food?

lol ya any meat will do, heck ill even eat lizard lol
you ever thought about caging 2 rabbits, in different cages for now, and breeding your food?
I thought about it, but the only place I would be able to store them is in the garage, and that wouldn't go well in the summer. I don't have a yard and the little area i do have the association still regulates. They tried telling me I couldn't have a hose outside. I told them where they could stick the nozzle and that I would remove it when all the other owners did the same and since there are some 400 homes n this development, they would be busy. I have yet to hear from them again.

HA! ROFL!
screw'em! do you have power in your garage? if so you could place a fan in there for rabbits, or heck, just keep'em in a cage in your house somewhere.

Latest posts

Back