What's new where you live?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are those days when I am very thankful for prepping this is one of them. Confirmed cases went up 100 over night. Confirmed 2 cases now in the county next door. First state death. My community that was pretty well ignoring this event has now figured out OMG this crap is real! Talking about being behind in the game. Friend works for TSC somebody came in and bought the canning jars by the pallet yesterday. I bet they are planning to resell later at a much higher price I am sure kind of like the guys with the hand sanitizer here in Tn . Canning lids and vacuum bags are quickly disappearing also. Runs also on gardening supplies. Traffic is slowing on the state road I can see from the property and not as many campers etc. Tornado sirens went off yesterday which was fun. Grocery stores are pretty picked over. Usual things such as toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizers but also now meat, dairy, canned foods etc. Produce pretty scarce as well. Stores are still open as well as most businesses. We continue to be on self quarantine. Hubby and I are considering going fishing as soon as the local rain slows. This is rainy season for the Plateau anyway. Nothing like hanging around waiting for the ball to drop.

There are those days when I am very thankful for prepping this is one of them. Confirmed cases went up 100 over night. Confirmed 2 cases now in the county next door. First state death. My community that was pretty well ignoring this event has now figured out OMG this crap is real! Talking about being behind in the game. Friend works for TSC somebody came in and bought the canning jars by the pallet yesterday. I bet they are planning to resell later at a much higher price I am sure kind of like the guys with the hand sanitizer here in Tn . Canning lids and vacuum bags are quickly disappearing also. Runs also on gardening supplies. Traffic is slowing on the state road I can see from the property and not as many campers etc. Tornado sirens went off yesterday which was fun. Grocery stores are pretty picked over. Usual things such as toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizers but also now meat, dairy, canned foods etc. Produce pretty scarce as well. Stores are still open as well as most businesses. We continue to be on self quarantine. Hubby and I are considering going fishing as soon as the local rain slows. This is rainy season for the Plateau anyway. Nothing like hanging around waiting for the ball to drop.
Prices of canning supplies at TSC are already outrageous compared to other store unless they do the rare clearance. But I am sure you are right and being listed on Amazon or Craigslist as we speak for those who do not want to venture out. ..

the good thing is, now, I can buy fresh fruit and vegetables and everything with a shelf-life of less than two/three days, nobody look at this.
Seems people catching up with prepping knowledge, but...they are to late for that.

the stores are now thinned for everything with longerlasting shelflife and funny, canned food and Nudels are now back.. but Nutella is gone:eek:

Out in the smaller cities and towns are where the garden plants, canning supplies and vacuum have are being snatched up. Yesterday in the larger city I heard they had a good selection of plants at the hardware store that looked good but some did not. Last experience going there, I can tell you then they just got a shipment in and the half dead is what was left from last shipment which wasn't much left over. So maybe the bigger cities are in the same boat?

the good thing is, now, I can buy fresh fruit and vegetables and everything with a shelf-life of less than two/three days, nobody look at this.
Seems people catching up with prepping knowledge, but...they are to late for that.

the stores are now thinned for everything with longerlasting shelflife and funny, canned food and Nudels are now back.. but Nutella is gone:eek:

Ah Nutella is but a distant dream for me. One of the many balls dropped in my lifetime. If I had only remembered pre quarantine:oops::oops:

Went out early to see what was in stock. Same story pretty much, I saw a few packages of toilet paper at Walmart but it was off-brand. There was a one package limit but I saw someone successfully purchase 3 using the self check-out. He kept glancing around nervously lol.
What was new today was so many people wearing masks. I don't know where they got these masks but quite a few people were wearing them, unlike one or two as I have seen the past couple weeks.
I was very careful to keep my distance from others and wipe down everything before getting in the car and then again before going into my apartment.

Publix was better stocked today than it was a week ago. Still no TP or paper towels, alcohol, etc. but they had rice and beans. Food was better stocked than before except for milk. Nothing but whole milk, but that's fine with me since I only use milk for coffee.
Four people wearing masks, two were Asians. Three people wearing gloves.

We still only have one confirmed case in the county so I guess that is tempering the panic buying for now.

I think this "crisis" is mostly BS. Sure, a few people have gotten sick and fewer still have died, with an average age of 80 years old. And all with preexisting health issues. Last year over 30,000 Americans died from the common flu, and we didn't destroy our economy over that. I trust very little that comes from the so called "experts" and even less from the government.
Bottom line is that we must all do what WE think is right for our own family's health and our own situation.

Last year over 30,000 Americans died from the common flu, and we didn't destroy our economy over that.
This didn't replace the flu, it is on top of the flu. Flu cases and deaths were already factored into the system. This wasn't.

Last edited:
Arctic, look at it this way.

If we have 30,000 people die per year of the flu, that's an average of 82 per day.
In the last 24 hours, 793 Italians died from Coronavirus. That is on top of flu deaths, natural deaths, accidents, and all other causes of deaths. And with the hospitals overflowing, people with other life threatening conditions can't get help anymore.

I think this "crisis" is mostly BS. Sure, a few people have gotten sick and fewer still have died, with an average age of 80 years old. And all with preexisting health issues. Last year over 30,000 Americans died from the common flu, and we didn't destroy our economy over that. I trust very little that comes from the so called "experts" and even less from the government.
Bottom line is that we must all do what WE think is right for our own family's health and our own situation.

I'm sorry Arctic, but this is one area that's not in your knowledge of understanding. One of the very few things. Your right though, everyone needs to decide what's best for them and those there responsible for, no one else.

I'm sorry Arctic, but this is one area that's not in your knowledge of understanding. One of the very few things. Your right though, everyone needs to decide what's best for them and those there responsible for, no one else.
Just going off the government's own numbers Rellgar. As of this morning there was 19,624 Americans infected with the China flu, with less than 15% requiring hospitalization. Of the 19,000+ infected only 260 deaths have been reported, most over 80 years old with preexisting conditions such as heart disease, emphysema, diabetes etc. Again, I don't see where we should be trashing our economy over this.
Nope, I don't pretend to be an "expert" at anything, but I do have an understanding of how things work. I was once FEMA certified in crisis management. While working overseas I was in charge of a morgue and transporting and stockpiling the dead during mass casualties. I also worked with WHO and other scientists during disasters. None of which qualifies me as an expert. I'm just not seeing where we should be destroying our economy over this yet.
I'm guessing that in a few weeks this crisis will be over and we'll return to close to what we consider as normal.
I also predict that there will be a lot more preppers as a result of this.

I'm guessing that in a few weeks this crisis will be over and we'll return to close to what we consider as normal.
We'll give you a month and revisit this on April 21 (if the Internet is still up) and see if you are right.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for you to be right.

Went out early to see what was in stock. Same story pretty much, I saw a few packages of toilet paper at Walmart but it was off-brand. There was a one package limit but I saw someone successfully purchase 3 using the self check-out. He kept glancing around nervously lol.
What was new today was so many people wearing masks. I don't know where they got these masks but quite a few people were wearing them, unlike one or two as I have seen the past couple weeks.
I was very careful to keep my distance from others and wipe down everything before getting in the car and then again before going into my apartment.
I hope you were among the mask wearers....

Latest posts

Back