One thing I was putting off doing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T
I have tobacco seeds too! LOL

Now all I need is ladies of the night and my bartering supply cache will be complete! JK of course (not about the Tobacco though)!
Thats a barter item that will be very popular, yet no one wants to discuss it. Not tobacco..

My grandad in N.C. farmed tobacco (and watermelons) his entire life. He lived through the depression and it got them through it with 9 children sharecropping, along with the hogs they smoked and ate. 'Dbacca', as he used to say it, is a VERY nasty crop to raise and get to market. They don't call 'em tarheels for nothin'. You can't even walk by and touch the stuff with your skin or clothes without that stick sap on the leaves staining them black hours later. And the dang stuff doesn't come off easily without rigorous applications of alcohol. Nope, no 'dbacca' growing for this girlie. I hope I'm not around when your last option kicks in @rainingcatzanddogs. LOL There are a few folks on the National Gardening Association's forum (free to join there if interested) who are raising Nicotiana tabacum and chatting about tobacco varieties, yields and their techniques.

My grandad in N.C. farmed tobacco (and watermelons) his entire life. He lived through the depression and it got them through it with 9 children sharecropping, along with the hogs they smoked and ate. 'Dbacca', as he used to say it, is a VERY nasty crop to raise and get to market. They don't call 'em tarheels for nothin'. You can't even walk by and touch the stuff with your skin or clothes without that stick sap on the leaves staining them black hours later. And the dang stuff doesn't come off easily without rigorous applications of alcohol. Nope, no 'dbacca' growing for this girlie. I hope I'm not around when your last option kicks in @rainingcatzanddogs. LOL There are a few folks on the National Gardening Association's forum (free to join there if interested) who are raising Nicotiana tabacum and chatting about tobacco varieties, yields and their techniques.

I spent some of my summers growing up in NC. Some years in the mountains, some on the Outer Banks. Some on the Neuse River. Tar is on the sand in the beaches and we kept a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the porch.

Nicotine stains. So do Pecans! My hands are black during the picking season and NOTHING gets it out. I could wear gloves but, I don't care so much as to put them on.

I will wear gloves when handling the tobacco but for more serious reasons! You can get quite sick from contact poisoning! It is called Green Tobacco Sickness and is exacerbated when mixed with rain or dew....Like Oleander, handle with care!

Hmmm, never heard grandaddy mention that illness. I'm amazed he didn't get it then, because despite helping HIS folks as a teen manage theirs, and then rasing it himself, he lived until age 87.

I had 52 oleanders around the back and sides of our home when we lived in Texas City. I had a love hate relationshiop with them. Loved their soft pink color and paby-powder scent wafting in the air, but hated the staining and even more, hated I had to prune them to the ground every single spring for best branching and bloom production. I also had to deal with the black smut on the surface of our pool water (from the refineries), too and around the tile wall of the pool, too. So glad we moved to Central TX and away form all that ...................and hurricane prepping.

Maybe your granddaddy was a large man that maybe smoked? The young kids that are sometimes used to pick it often get it. Nausea, vomiting, dizziness and cramps...about 25% of pickers experience it. Most cases are mild and the effects wear off within 24 hours.

So maybe they just considered it a hazard of the job and not something to complain about?

It is just something I would rather avoid if possible! I've got the gloves so, I guess I'll use them when working with this plant.

Maybe your granddaddy was a large man that maybe smoked? The young kids that are sometimes used to pick it often get it. Nausea, vomiting, dizziness and cramps...about 25% of pickers experience it. Most cases are mild and the effects wear off within 24 hours.

He was a tall, thin 6' man that did indeed smoke a lot. Never SAW him sick a day of his life or exhibit those symptoms, but he certainly COULD have. We only visited them say every 2-3 years, being a military family, we were were moved all over the country every 2-3 years of my life. That's when we made our visits to N.C.

After years of putting money into other preps, I finally got around to it.

I bought a still…

Yes, probably could have made one DIY but, like many things, which is worth more, time or money?

Anyone have any good recipes they would like to share?
I have been considering buying one too, ebay has several!!

My neighbor has one and makes a batch quite often. I don't think he drinks much but uses it to barter. He also makes the Dutch food stuff that many think is gross. I think it is like sous (sp)
You mean Dutch as in Pennsylvania Dutch or Dutch, Dutch? I don't think I've ever heard of this stuff. What is it?

Latest posts

Back