One thing I was putting off doing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
After years of putting money into other preps, I finally got around to it.

I bought a still…

Yes, probably could have made one DIY but, like many things, which is worth more, time or money?

Anyone have any good recipes they would like to share?

Before you get into recipes, I would start with just sugar and test out the various yeasts to see which ones you don't like. Some yeasts are just plain yeasty, while others produce amazing esters (that will undoubtedly be different when adding different ingredients). That's the one thing moonshiners never talk about or share, their secret yeasts. Just be sure to identify the ones you really hate before continuing. With just sugar, depending on the yeast, you can end up with the worst tasting knock-off tequila you've ever had, you could end up with something more yeasty than the worst wine money can buy, or you could end up with something beautifully fruity.

What is the still made from (hopefully copper because it more evenly distributes the heat preventing scorching and also acts as a catalyst with some of the reactions taking place)? What kind of condenser (coil in barrel, water jacket, shotgun, fractioning, there are many types...)? Is there a thumper keg with it (you don't want those fusels getting over...)? Hopefully you've studied up because whiskey involves corn and corn contains husk and husk ferments to methanol which will poison you (hence tossing out the first pint or two, don't drink that!). Then, you gotta learn about blending because, along with the ethanol, flavorful esters will also distill over. These esters (different flavors) will come over at different temps during the run (along with some of the lighter fusels) so it is important to capture the run in several smaller containers instead of letting it run into a single large jar. Some flavors you will like, some you will not. Temperature and yeast nutrient play into it as well. Malt can also help in some recipes too because it contains enzymes that help convert starch to sugar (just like adding diastatic malt powder to bread dough), and corn, the main ingredient in whiskey, is mostly starch. You will need clean barrels with lids to do the fermentation, and I recommend a gas vent with a bubbler trap so nothing can get in through the vent the CO2 is escaping from. You're gonna have a fun new hobby!!!!!

And a legal word of advice, don't keep the still right next to the mash! That shows intent. It is not illegal to ferment, it's the distilling part the ATF will take an interest in.

And when you go to the local winery for yeast, BE SURE to check the dates on the yeast because often times they sell that stuff so slowly that whats on the shelf is expired. Speaking of yeast, some will die at an alcohol concentration of 3% (like bread yeast), others can handle up to 20% alcohol concentration. Keep that in mind when measuring the ingredients. There is no need for a ton of corn/sugars if most will go unreacted!

Can't add anything to our friend from Minnesota, I just get everything together and my BIL and I do the distilling together each year. Any and every fruit you have can be used for making moonshine. Most use wheat and corn but I get much better and not so strong biting flavors from fruit. We just found some prickly pear cactus near us on a public dirt road going to my BIL's garden outside of town and will be picking the fruits to add to my mash. Lots of pears, peaches, apples and my grapes will go into my mash. Some times sugar if the fruit does not have a high enough content of sugar. After distilling, I like to add fresh fruit or even dried fruits into each bottle. I even made a bottle last year as a gift with red roses in it. Our friend said she would never drink it alone, only with us when she gets older. Cherry, cranberry, raisen, date and prickly pear are fruits small enough to get into a bottle neck.
SPECIAL TIP: find a pear or apple budding with a tiny apple or pear growing, nip the end of the branch off, slip the bottle for your shine over the fruit and let it GROW INSIDE THE BOTTLE...tie the bottle to a higher branch with some string so it does not fall down...after you distill your shine, clip the now full size fruit off inside the bottle and fill it with shine as a gift or deco bottle for trading and bartering...Gary

In Texas, you can make 200 gallons of wine or beer legally. I would be starting with those until I learn the ropes.

And, to answer the other questions. It is copper coil but, a steel boiler. I went cheaper because I am not sure if I will stick with this or just throw my hands up in frustration.

1650903242662.png

A far as yeast I already produce my own (for bread) with juniper berries and blueberries (that white stuff on the outside is yeast). Survival Food Series: 3 Ways To Naturally Make Yeast | Ready Nutrition

I did a couple of gallons of sweet muscadine wine a couple of years ago that turned out pretty dang good, but, no still involved. It was a bit sweet for me but, had a decent punch. I want to try it with the Agarita berries and see how that turns out.

I have a TON to learn but, I have a few highly motivated friends who are more experienced to help me out.

Last edited:
not really a serious SHTF prep >> problem is that booze is food - doubt very much the necessary ingredients will be around for using it .....

That is the beauty of being able to grow more than your group needs. I bought it because we are finally "set" on food supply and liquor WILL be a tradable commodity SHTF.

I can grow corn, hops, barley, wheat and yeast is everywhere if you know how to look. It can be done.

Can't add anything to our friend from Minnesota, I just get everything together and my BIL and I do the distilling together each year. Any and every fruit you have can be used for making moonshine. Most use wheat and corn but I get much better and not so strong biting flavors from fruit. We just found some prickly pear cactus near us on a public dirt road going to my BIL's garden outside of town and will be picking the fruits to add to my mash. Lots of pears, peaches, apples and my grapes will go into my mash. Some times sugar if the fruit does not have a high enough content of sugar. After distilling, I like to add fresh fruit or even dried fruits into each bottle. I even made a bottle last year as a gift with red roses in it. Our friend said she would never drink it alone, only with us when she gets older. Cherry, cranberry, raisen, date and prickly pear are fruits small enough to get into a bottle neck.
SPECIAL TIP: find a pear or apple budding with a tiny apple or pear growing, nip the end of the branch off, slip the bottle for your shine over the fruit and let it GROW INSIDE THE BOTTLE...tie the bottle to a higher branch with some string so it does not fall down...after you distill your shine, clip the now full size fruit off inside the bottle and fill it with shine as a gift or deco bottle for trading and bartering...Gary

The blackberries will be ripe in about a month, the agarita in a couple of weeks, the grapes, in June/July along with peaches, so lots of excess fruits to work with. the fig trees are not mature enough yet to get a good enough harvest.

When I was in Eastern Europe I had some of the most wonderful wines made of plums and apricots! Went amazingly well with the Piroshki!

the fig trees are not mature enough yet to get a good enough harvest.
Our neighbor gypsy has a fig tree and uses them also...great aroma. Tried to tell my BIL about watermelon wine and all he did was block me and INFORM me that you cannot make wine from watermelons..................Piroshki does not tell me anything...help me here??

Our neighbor gypsy has a fig tree and uses them also...great aroma. Tried to tell my BIL about watermelon wine and all he did was block me and INFORM me that you cannot make wine from watermelons..................Piroshki does not tell me anything...help me here??

Seasoned ground pork (or feral hog) and beef with rice, wrapped in a slightly sweet egg bread. I add garlic, onion, and sometimes hot peppers to mine. On the rare occasion I can order some, I add Bryndza Podhalańska, a soft sheep's cheese for a little calcium or serve it with a slice of grilled Oscypek (another kind of smoked sheep cheese).

Poland, Ukraine and Russia each have their own regional differences based on what is readily available (I am guessing Hungary, Germany, Lithuania, Estonia etc also have their version). The farmers would take them out to the fields to eat because they traveled well and required no utensils...

Some people use cabbage, venison, duck, chicken...lots of options
1650905367157.png

Our family's tradition was to serve them with either spinach and sour cream soup or spiced beet soup at Christmas and Easter Sunday

I would LOVE your watermelon wine recipe BTW! On more than one occasion I have accidentally made watermelon vinegar!

Last edited:

Tex. Alcoholic Beverage Code Ann. §109.21
(a) The head of a family or an unmarried adult may produce for the use of his family or himself not more than 200 gallons of wine, ale, malt liquor, or beer, per year. No license or permit is required.
(b) The commission may prohibit the use of any ingredient it finds detrimental to health or susceptible of use to evade this code. Only wine made from the normal alcoholic fermentation of the juices of dandelions or grapes, raisins, or other fruits may be produced under this section. Only ale, malt liquor, or beer made from the normal alcoholic fermentation of malted barley with hops, or their products, and with or without other malted or unmalted cereals, may be produced under this section. The possession of wine, ale, malt liquor, or beer produced under this section is not an offense if the person making it complies with all provisions of this section and the wine, ale, malt liquor, or beer is not distilled, fortified, or otherwise altered to increase its alcohol content.
(c) There is no annual state fee for beverages produced in compliance with this section

Well I guess I will be using this thing for medicinal herbal oils then....as a cottage industry producer. 🤞

That is the beauty of being able to grow more than your group needs. I bought it because we are finally "set" on food supply and liquor WILL be a tradable commodity SHTF.

I can grow corn, hops, barley, wheat and yeast is everywhere if you know how to look. It can be done.

better add sugar cane and/or beets - processing equipment >>> lots and lots of sugar required >>> if you think booze will be a safe item to trade while people are starving - hope you get to prove me wrong - doubt you get it

...if you think booze will be a safe item to trade while people are starving - hope you get to prove me wrong - doubt you get it
I don't expect starving people will be much of a threat. It takes food to have the energy to fight. Alcohol, being extremely versatile, is just as important as food, but few people consider even the morale aspect of it when prepping. It's not like a group of malnutritioned warriors will be taking issue with the fact I have booze. Give a hungry homeless person a C note and watch what happens... Typically, it goes straight to the liquor store so they can drink their depression away. You will die if you eat tobacco, but people have been using it as currency for centuries. I'd trade a bucket full of waterglassed eggs and some dried venison for a bottle of shine and a little bag of smoke any day :)

After years of putting money into other preps, I finally got around to it.

I bought a still…

Yes, probably could have made one DIY but, like many things, which is worth more, time or money?

Anyone have any good recipes they would like to share?

I can get some from my son. He’s had a still for some years and makes some really cool alcohol!

better add sugar cane and/or beets - processing equipment >>> lots and lots of sugar required >>> if you think booze will be a safe item to trade while people are starving - hope you get to prove me wrong - doubt you get it

I can't eat .22 caliber either, but, I still keep more than I need for trade. And yes, I have 10,000 sugar beet seeds in any given year.

My team got an emergency call for help, we all jumped into the van, left the side door open, all had "sandwich" mags in their weapons. (ball, tracer, explosive,ball, tracer, explosive)...I did not understand the call enough to know where we were going and what we were up against, I only knew we were on the road towards and thru enemy territory and could be ambushed...after a crazy ride on bumpy back roads for about 12-13 minutes...the van stopped...everybody got out...laid their guns down....took their flak vests off...lit up cigarettes...and TRADED A CASE OF AMMO FOR A CASE OF NAPOLEON BRANDY: the owner of the distillery was out of ammo and promised a case of brandy to the first person who would bring him some...............alcohol is a good trading and bartering item folks....:cool:

I'd trade a bucket full of waterglassed eggs and some dried venison for a bottle of shine and a little bag of smoke any day :)

I have tobacco seeds too! LOL

Now all I need is ladies of the night and my bartering supply cache will be complete! (insert deep, resonating, evil laugh here)
JK of course, not about the Tobacco though!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back