Drones

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7650

Reaction score
So, I’m looking at drones with thermal capabilities for security operations. I feel like a drone with thermal capabilities could potentially benefit with operational stand-off as I could Id potential threats before they got to my area and avoid them if possible. I could also use the drone as an, “eye in the sky” should I have to engage. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these items. From an initial check they appear to be quite pricey, but all things worth while are…. Has anyone found a good quadcopter thermal capable drone that’s adorable? Thanks for any suggestions.

👍✌🏻

I have one and use it. Shop around. Some can be modified with infrared camera's, so the camera can be used on multiple devices. They are fun and probably worth there weight in gold during some SHTF events.
Thank you for the in-site. It might be cheaper to buy one and then put the thermal camera on later.

A really good idea. Would make sense to have one after the SHTF, good for securing the perimeter around your house, or doing Recon of what's happening in an area. Never owned one personally, but from videos I've seen they can be quite loud, and can be expensive to get a quality one. But still it's something to add to the Prep list.

I'm just getting into thermals, or rather I'm about to get into thermals. I am building a night rifle for pig hunting and doing it in stages as funds allow. Got the lower first, then the upper, now working on subsonic loads (458 SOCOM). Next phase is silencer, then the thermal scope. By that time I'll have spent a pretty hefty pile of dough, so I may have to get an ATN. Unless maybe I can put a bullet under my pillow and get a visit from the scope fairy...😁

Do you have experience flying them? I would start with a really cheap one at first if not.
Whole heartedly agree. Bought a $59 one. First flight went sailing over a fence line and never did find it
I would attach bright color streamers on it if I did it again.

There is a saying. Thermal to spot a potential target, night vision to identify the target.
Pigs are kind of hard to misidentify, LOL.
Like I say, I'm just getting into it, but the ATN "thermal" scopes are three times as expensive as their "night vision" scopes. I think they both use IR, but the "night vision" uses reflected IR from an IR illuminator, while the "thermal" uses passive IR emitted by the target.
The night vision is therefore limited to the power of the IR illuminator, while the thermal has no distance limit.
Again, it's all new to me so I could be wrong.

Thermal is very expensive, especially the scopes. I plan to use a thermal monocular to spot targets and then night vision for the rifle scope. Is the suppressor for four legged critters or two legged critters? I have never hunted any critters at night, suppressed or non-suppressed. I think if it is for 4 legged critters the heavy thump of the rifle bullet hitting, will still get a herd moving. At least that has been my observation of pig hunt videos.

Yes it is going to take a massive budget to get the equipment on your wish list. I like your concept but the cost is way past my budget. My selection is mainly for the two legged critters, for now. I don't hunt due to past injuries but during a true SHTF event, I would have to take the chance. Please keep the group informed as you are able to acquire these items.

Primarily four legged.
One of the purposes of the silenced subsonic is hearing protection. I can't shoot much at the range now even with double hearing protection (plugs and muffs)
I have a place in Texas I can go not far from my wife's niece's house to hunt pigs, and the guy uses a 300 Whisper subsonic with a can and an ATN scope. He has some videos of the hunts, and when using the silenced subsonics, he can shoot a lot more pigs than when using supersonic without a can. They sometimes just get confused when he shoots one with the silencer and mill around. But without they all immediately bolt full speed.

As far as two legged swine, I can shoot them inside my house without worrying about blowing my eardrums out. I'd probably use lighter bullets for that though. And with the night vision, I can reconnoiter without a flashlight.

There are other applications too...;)

I am not knocking the use of drones but I do want to point out something to keep in mind. Drones do make noise and can be followed back to their home base. Think of them as a double edged sword. Good to use for advanced recon but they could also act as a guide to show unwanted people your current location. I would not recommend launching from your home base but from pre-established kill zone. That way anybody following the drone walks into a no-go zone. Just a suggestion.

Thermal is very expensive, especially the scopes. I plan to use a thermal monocular to spot targets and then night vision for the rifle scope. Is the suppressor for four legged critters or two legged critters? I have never hunted any critters at night, suppressed or non-suppressed. I think if it is for 4 legged critters the heavy thump of the rifle bullet hitting, will still get a herd moving. At least that has been my observation of pig hunt videos.

Yes it is going to take a massive budget to get the equipment on your wish list. I like your concept but the cost is way past my budget. My selection is mainly for the two legged critters, for now. I don't hunt due to past injuries but during a true SHTF event, I would have to take the chance. Please keep the group informed as you are able to acquire these items.
Night time devices is something I need to invest in. They’re just so damn pricy.😩

I'm just getting into thermals, or rather I'm about to get into thermals. I am building a night rifle for pig hunting and doing it in stages as funds allow. Got the lower first, then the upper, now working on subsonic loads (458 SOCOM). Next phase is silencer, then the thermal scope. By that time I'll have spent a pretty hefty pile of dough, so I may have to get an ATN. Unless maybe I can put a bullet under my pillow and get a visit from the scope fairy...😁
I am in the same boat. I think thermals are the way of the future

A really good idea. Would make sense to have one after the SHTF, good for securing the perimeter around your house, or doing Recon of what's happening in an area. Never owned one personally, but from videos I've seen they can be quite loud, and can be expensive to get a quality one. But still it's something to add to the Prep list.
They are a little noisy, but not nearly as bad as you might think. Plus they move pretty quick and are small targets. At night they might be able to hear it, but probably won’t see it.

Do you have experience flying them? I would start with a really cheap one at first if not.
I do not have experience flying them. This is something I never thought about until you said it; I have to admit you’re right. It’s kinda like a motorcycle, you don’t start out with a dream bike. If you do it’s gonna really hurt your pocket book when you end up laying it down. Thank you for your insight.

Latest posts

Back