Medical supplies

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by a fish store owner that they use expired people medications to treat fish.
I can only imagine how old some of it is.

Expiration and Shelf life are something to remember. There are alot of EMS services out there using expired drugs on teh ambulance due to the drug shortage. Expiration date is the max effective date. Shelf life is how long it will still work(may need to up the dosage) or how long it last until it has ill effects. I figure old meds are better than non when SHTF.

Expiration and Shelf life are something to remember. There are alot of EMS services out there using expired drugs on teh ambulance due to the drug shortage. Expiration date is the max effective date. Shelf life is how long it will still work(may need to up the dosage) or how long it last until it has ill effects. I figure old meds are better than non when SHTF.
We are not allowed to use expired drugs. Even in a shortage or disaster situation. There is currently a shortage of Valium, Epinephrine, Morphine, and a few others that I cannot recall at the moment. Any med that I have onboard MUST be pulled and replaced if expired. However, the expired meds are sent back to the distibutor for credit and I believe destroyed. I do also know the local county hospital donates their expired meds to a few of the local vet hospitals.

Personally I do not have a problem using an expired med in a disaster situation if the med appears clear, not cloudy, is sealed. But I would pucker a little. I have read that Epi and atropine can actually increase in strength over time, that is one of the reasons for the expiration dates. They, epi, atropine also have very short shelf lives.

If you want to carry meds, antibiotics in particular, I would contact you private MD and ask for a standing prescription of Cipro. Cipro is a very good broad spectrum antibiotic with very few side effects. If you are ever exposed to bacterial meningitis, Cipro 500mg taken within 24 hours will cover you.

Another med to add in my opinion would be Benadryl. When the shtf it will help with allergic reactions.

You can also contact the Feds, Dept of Homeland Security, and get the antidote for sarin and soman, they both airborne nerve agents. It comes in a kit of 2 self injectors. They are given to YOU first and then to anyone else infected. But, you must have a kit for each person. The kit includes Atropine and 2-PAM Chloride.

I'm new here and don't want to break any rules, so, i'll be somewhat vague. I know a guy that I have purchased many antibiotics, anti-fungals, and other meds from that are very legit. He claims to be a doctor and is willing to help anyone that feels the time has come to prepare....If I said anything I shouldn't have, please just ream me a new one and don't kick me out yet! thanks

We use quite a bit of vet supplies around here both on the animals and us. Vet wrap is a good thing to have for bandaging. Really good thing to have.

anything else?

Mercuric oxide works well with many eye infections. You can get it OTC. If you have a canner you can make sterile water for flushing wounds. Remember some TUMS for heartburn which can be really painful.

Not sure if its the same everywhere but my mother and sister in law are both nurses and they can get all bandages and most first aid kit supplies at cost which is usually dirt cheap. If you know a nurse. Might be worth asking

I
Didn't people used to use windex for arthritis or something? For cuts I may get I've went to using super glue.[/quote My father had ankolosisspondylitis, sp? A form of arthiritis. I heard one natural cure of using stinging nettles for thier stinging propety-supposed to bring blood flow to the skin I guess.......I love super glue. I get skin slits in my fingers and this is the only thing that helps. I need to put some in my purse :).

I have been told by more than one Dr that those expiration dates are in advance of when that particular drug will go south. They have said some of the expiration dates are to do nothing more than cause you to throw out unused meds, and buy more. This is especially true with over the counter meds.

well thats a tough one. all of them seem the aproprate answer.
however, you must remember, any cut can lead to infection, which leads to, gangreen, or a blood disese, that can lead to amputation, heart failure, or even death.
my recommendation(s) would be:
iodine- for deep cuts. deep cuts you cant really use alcohol, or it drys the wound too much. iodine keeps it moist while killing infection.
alcohol: for those small cuts or infected areas.
a sewing kit:
if those wounds are big, stich them up, if you dont, the longer it takes to heal, and the more risk of infection.
neosporin:
can be great for those smalk cuts.
a sling:
cuz you never know when its a bad day not to have one.
band-aids:
yes you might not feel manly wearing them, but if your working on your new home (homestead) and you cut your finger, the last thing you'll want is infection from dirt getting in. but you can also use a clean cloth and duck tape too.
gauze:
to keep those big cuts from spillen out too much blood, remember, there wont be blood transfusions out there....... unless your reeeeaaaal lucky.

i wouldnt pack peroxide though.
they only use it in surgery to clean the blood off of stuff they pull out of you.
but its better than nothing.
anything else?

I always chuckle when I see all the first aid kits with ETOH, alcohol swabs, in them. Seriously, alcohol does virtually nothing to decrease the bacterial load on the skin! When I give an injection, we wipe the site first with an alcohol swab.....we would clean the area just as good if we spit on it!! For alcohol to actually kill the bacteria on the skin, one would need to rub the area vigorously for 1+ minutes with the swab!! People don't do it and wiping the injection site doesn't do a dang thing....healthcare providers continue to do it because it is "accepted practice" and absolutely no other reason! Think about it, if a nurse gave you a tetnus shot but did not wipe the area with alcohol first, you'd freak out! So, we effectively spit on the injection site to keep the customer happy!
Back to your first aid kit....put a bottle or two of peroxide in the kit and throw out those dead-weight alcohol swabs!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I refuse the alcohol swabbing when I have blood drawn or have a to have a shot. I just wash the area good with soap and water. Peroxide is something we have on hand because we use it on the critters from time to time.

[qu"Clyde, post: 3799, member: 1"]Gloves is one thing I have boxes of, but getting my hands on syringes may prove t be problematic at least the needle portion. I welcome any recommendations as to where they can be had legally.

I keep several tubes of Neosporin, and lidoncain/prilocain, tagaderm shields, and hydrogen peroxide.[/quote]

I don't know about where you live, BUT tractorsupply.com might work for syringes and needles, I know you can get them in the stores.
Good luck, be safe, and God Bless

[qu"Clyde, post: 3799, member: 1"]Gloves is one thing I have boxes of, but getting my hands on syringes may prove t be problematic at least the needle portion. I welcome any recommendations as to where they can be had legally.

I keep several tubes of Neosporin, and lidoncain/prilocain, tagaderm shields, and hydrogen peroxide.
I don't know about where you live, BUT tractorsupply.com might work for syringes and needles, I know you can get them in the stores.
Good luck, be safe, and God Bless[/quote]

If you are looking for needles, syringes, sutures, etc. go to Jeffers Vet Supply online. We routinely purchase from them for our ranch needs and also you can find everything you need for your preps here...at wholesale prices.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I'm surprised the doc isn't on here yet. The Cipro and Benedryl is good advice. Broad spectrum of uses (as long as you know of them). Antibiotics are good (as mentioned, most vet ones are the same as those for humans). Hydrogen Peroxide is good (and cheap).

Some of mine:

Boxes of surgical gloves
Boxes of surgical masks
Bandages, lots and lots of bandages (various sizes)
Gauze pads (lots and assorted sizes)
Medical tape
Medical scissors and forceps
Surgical thread
Ace bandages
Israeli tourniquets
Crutches
Walker
Blood Pressure cuffs
Diabetes tester
Stethoscope
Thermometer (oral)
Feminine Pads (for large wounds, these are great, we use them on horses mostly, if they get a big cut on them)
Animal wrapping (great for making slings, etc., like big Ace bandages).
Syringes, needles (most vet supply places)
Books on medicinal herbs (color pics)
Surgical tubing, IVs, and appropriate plumbing

OTC (Over the Counter) Meds (Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Advil, Allergy Meds (both non-drowsy and regular), cold medicine, cough medicine, antibiotic ointments, etc.)

And I'm not adverse to getting prescription meds through various means to stock up. Hydrocodone and others for severe pain, for example. We also are starting to grow some medicinal plants and herbs, to have a home supply and a replenish-able one.

I have been told by more than one Dr that those expiration dates are in advance of when that particular drug will go south. They have said some of the expiration dates are to do nothing more than cause you to throw out unused meds, and buy more. This is especially true with over the counter meds.

True but there are in fact some meds out there that are toxic when expired.

I have in my first-aid kit,guys you know that ladys turn into a monster once a month,sanitarynapcins and tampoons, okay I borrowed some from my lady,hey if they keep a bleeding woman in control those things will keep my cut from bleeding aswell,and they are light and sterile

Latest posts

Back