Supplies to buy if China takes Taiwan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People around where I live are a bit different; no prepper mindset, always thinking everything will be fine, not seeing the signs, obedient to .gov and pretty oblivious to world affairs, ie, it's so far away it won't affect me... I do have extra supplies of most things but if it was going to be years until they were available again then I'd want more. Though what you say is true for me to an extent, as in I can always find more stuff that I hadn't thought of that may disappear quickly. We did have crazy runs on toilet paper during the scamdemic...
Just make sure you have plenty of bullets because those that aren't prepared will become desperate over time.

It's really more about the shipping lanes being closed rather than "made in China". Shoes from Asia, underwear, socks, anything plastic or metal. Bird netting, pots for plants, it's almost everything used daily. Australia doesn't make much.

Unless your polygamous

It's really more about the shipping lanes being closed rather than "made in China". Shoes from Asia, underwear, socks, anything plastic or metal. Bird netting, pots for plants, it's almost everything used daily. Australia doesn't make much.

Is Australia as addicted to cheaply made goods as most in the US? I remember a time when you bought furniture once for the house; usually shortly after you got married. Then maybe you sold the old stuff and bought new simply for style purposes 30 years later, if ever. Most just reupholstered but the frame, webbing and stuffing was still good. Now it is trash after 5years, 10 if you are lucky. Same with appliances, cars and almost everything else.

Use it up, wear it out or fix it up. There will be a lot of people under 40 in for a rude surprise if a war in China happens. Prices and shortages will be like nothing they have ever experienced.

Is Australia as addicted to cheaply made goods as most in the US? I remember a time when you bought furniture once for the house; usually shortly after you got married. Then maybe you sold the old stuff and bought new simply for style purposes 30 years later, if ever. Most just reupholstered but the frame, webbing and stuffing was still good. Now it is trash after 5years, 10 if you are lucky. Same with appliances, cars and almost everything else.

Use it up, wear it out or fix it up. There will be a lot of people under 40 in for a rude surprise if a war in China happens. Prices and shortages will be like nothing they have ever experienced.
Yep, it's just the same here. I really think, having worked with a lot of elderly immigrants (Italian, Greek and so on) over the years, that we were all pretty much the same 70 years ago, same frugal, common sense, independent approach and all that. With globalisation it has all become an homogenous mess of interdependence and dumbing down. As in, this is what globalisation looks like, it's the same all over the western world except for those families and individuals who relish their independence and enjoy actually living like men and women rather than generic consumers. I feel like I have way more in common with my great grandparents than my contemporaries, other than my immediate family. Traditions are really important in that regard, to keep doing what we've always done, it keeps us sane.
We are living in a time where something has to give; the fragile shell of "normality" is about to break.

I agree it is difficult to not buy Chinese made crap. Not everything, but much of what I buy is made in the US. It costs more, which is to be expected, it will also last much longer. Our furniture is over 30 years old, made in the US, and still looks like it's brand new. I have some American Made boots that are over 25 years old, etc. My tractor was made in India but all my implements are made in the US, one snowblower was made in Canada, the other in US.
I admit that sometimes I'm in a hurry and will buy something made in China knowing that I'll end up replacing it.
IF for some reason the US stopped importing everything from China I'd say that would be a good day. Other countries and the US would start manufacturing whatever we now get from China.
I really don't have a problem buying from foreign countries. But I do have a problem buying inferior junk from a communist country which is also our enemy.

I've never had a problem with buying from China, everything I've bought from China is still working well even knives, but I stopped buying from any foreign country once Covid started and never will again, most if not all of our furniture is second hand .
No the main trouble with China is that just about everything these days seems to be made in China or somewhere else in Asia probably in sweatshops by young kids.

We are still using the Made in U.S.A. Kenmore Freezer and Amana Microwave we bought when we first got married in the 1980s. My wife always complains about junk made in China, then turns around and wants to buy a new microwave made in China just because ours is old. I ask her why she wants one made in China when we have a perfectly good one made in the U.S.A.

I agree it's very tough to buy new things made in U.S.A. (or England for that matter) but I try.

its not easy especially to buy British made stuff, thats why our furniture is either second hand or made locally.
China was going to be involved in the building of our latest power station but thankfully they dropped out, but they still have fingers in a lot of technology and it will take time to remove them from it.

Latest posts

Back