Supplies to buy if China takes Taiwan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7691

Reaction score
Living in Australia, I am wondering about what supplies I should buy if China is to move on Taiwan, cutting off supplies to Australia as the shipping channels are closed.
I'm thinking things like light bulbs, batteries, bird netting, zip ties, shoes, medicines and so on. I would like to have a comprehensive list so I can go to the hardware store as soon as it happens and get the extra stuff, just don't want to miss anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Living in Australia, I am wondering about what supplies I should buy if China is to move on Taiwan, cutting off supplies to Australia as the shipping channels are closed.
I'm thinking things like light bulbs, batteries, bird netting, zip ties, shoes, medicines and so on. I would like to have a comprehensive list so I can go to the hardware store as soon as it happens and get the extra stuff, just don't want to miss anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sounds like you have already put serious thought into this . Appears to be a good list to me . I would suggest though if you haven't already positioned yourself for self sufficiency , as in producing your own food , put some of that good thinking in that direction .

I have been told many meds are made in China, if true many will die!
Yes, but many are made in India as well and when China moves, nothing will come out of Asia for some time. Shoes made in Vietnam won't be shipped. Underwear, socks, clothing in general. Antibiotics, prednisolone, anti fungals, so many things that if we can't get, then small problems will become serious ones.

Sounds like you have already put serious thought into this . Appears to be a good list to me . I would suggest though if you haven't already positioned yourself for self sufficiency , as in producing your own food , put some of that good thinking in that direction .
I am on 7 acres, have ample rainwater, chickens, ducks, pigeons, quail, sheep, snakes and rabbits. Have a bore with drinkable water and am basically self sufficient with fruit and veg, as well as firewood. I am blessed to be in this position. But it's the stuff I haven't thought of that concerns me. Extra chains for the chainsaw, oils and so on. I imagine it will be something small that I overlooked that will cause issues.

I don't know if these would actually be difficult to find, but things which come to mind:

Undies, jeans, winter coat
Anything made with iron that you need
Gaskets for canning if you use that sort of canner
Tea if you drink it
Filters for hvac systems or water filtration if you use something produced there
Shoe laces
Extra chargers for electric devices

First of all - My sight is a european one...

Then - You´d better fill your shed with all kinds of tools. And think far into the future - what could you need in a few years... (Bicycle wheels and inner tubes, Wheels for your car). Clothing is a huge thing too. Do you have still growing kids? All kind´s of spare parts - I just rebuild a Stihl chainsaw from chinese parts.

What´s not "made in China"? Even the most canned tomatoes (with some funny italian design) are from China. A lot of raw materials (plastics for example) comes from there and then get´s processed to goods over here.

A full deliverystop would cause extreme shortage affecting the industries, consumers, producers, craftsmen - short: All.

Buy / organise with both eyes open and start now. It´s more affordable when you have some paychecks between those shopping tours.

Edit:
Think about radio / ham - transceiver

Last edited:
I have been told many meds are made in China, if true many will die!
I have a friend that is a retired engineer for a major pharmaceutical company. We had a long conversation about this. The problem is not the drugs themselves, most of them can can be made here. The problem is the chemicals used to make the drugs, many of which ARE ONLY MADE IN CHINA. If those get cut off, most U. S. production of drugs will come to a screeching halt.
Two related reasons we can't make the chemicals here are labor costs (it would drive the price of drugs way way way up if they had to pay minimum wage), and the EPA regulatory burden which would also drive prices way way way up.

I don't know if these would actually be difficult to find, but things which come to mind:

Tea if you drink it
Filters for hvac systems or water filtration if you use something produced there
Shoe laces
Thanks for that, thinking of growing tea.

I have a friend that is a retired engineer for a major pharmaceutical company. We had a long conversation about this. The problem is not the drugs themselves, most of them can can be made here. The problem is the chemicals used to make the drugs, many of which ARE ONLY MADE IN CHINA. If those get cut off, most U. S. production of drugs will come to a screeching halt.
Two related reasons we can't make the chemicals here are labor costs (it would drive the price of drugs way way way up if they had to pay minimum wage), and the EPA regulatory burden which would also drive prices way way way up.
It's a crazy situation. I guess that money sent to Ukraine (and laundered back to those special folk) could have paid to make US independent with drugs.
I've been thinking how a family should be run kind of like a little country, then the community would ideally be made up of families who are united to support one another, each family able to produce or supply something unique in the community. We are So dependent on others, it will be interesting to see how people go when it all falls apart. I think the biggest issue will be illness though and lack of drugs and medical care.

Tea if you drink it
Shoe laces
Oh, and definitely lots of fishing gear! Can't have enough hooks and line at least. Cord, string.... it would be interesting I guess to compile a complete list of stuff, starting with the most important to the least. At least if you've got decent string then you don't need to worry about shoe laces and so on.

It's a crazy situation. I guess that money sent to Ukraine (and laundered back to those special folk) could have paid to make US independent with drugs.
I've been thinking how a family should be run kind of like a little country, then the community would ideally be made up of families who are united to support one another, each family able to produce or supply something unique in the community. We are So dependent on others, it will be interesting to see how people go when it all falls apart. I think the biggest issue will be illness though and lack of drugs and medical care.

I'd suggest looking into emergency medicine like Chlorine Dioxide, medicinal herbs and essential oil.

Good question, like do they have a use by date if sitting in storage?
I also wonder about if the grid goes down, I don't have a battery for the solar but I think they are around 25K. If an EMP went off, would that just wreck all solar equipment anyway?

Good question, like do they have a use by date if sitting in storage?
I also wonder about if the grid goes down, I don't have a battery for the solar but I think they are around 25K. If an EMP went off, would that just wreck all solar equipment anyway?

They degrade over time, but still produce. Out of the sun they will degrade slower. You can protect your panels from EMP.

They degrade over time, but still produce. Out of the sun they will degrade slower. You can protect your panels from EMP.

Degradation is about .5 to 1.5 % a year in operation. There's EMP shield and other protection for Solar systems.

Don't wait until then. I say this as someone who lived in a hurricane area for years. As soon as the warning goes out, the stores become a mad house. You walk in there with a list and come out with only half.

Latest posts

Back