High Blood Pressure

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marjie

Reaction score
I have high blood pressure and every medication causes adverse affects. I was taking a medication for some time but got tired of sleepless nights, dizziness, and my limbs feeling weak. I had previously tried several and some of them put me in hospital! I stopped taking it about a year ago and feel really well. This week had to go to the local hospital with a prolonged bout of vomiting and they say my bp is dangerously high and I have to take medication. I feel dreadful again! Does anyone know of an alternative medicine that actually works? I would rather risk a shorter life that I enjoy than live like this! I have multiple food allergies including dairy and gluten but am fit and active normally, just not when I take medication!

I have high blood pressure and every medication causes adverse affects. I was taking a medication for some time but got tired of sleepless nights, dizziness, and my limbs feeling weak. I had previously tried several and some of them put me in hospital! I stopped taking it about a year ago and feel really well. This week had to go to the local hospital with a prolonged bout of vomiting and they say my bp is dangerously high and I have to take medication. I feel dreadful again! Does anyone know of an alternative medicine that actually works? I would rather risk a shorter life that I enjoy than live like this! I have multiple food allergies including dairy and gluten but am fit and active normally, just not when I take medication!
If you art not already checking blood pressure, buy yourself 2 blood pressure machines a wrist & arm cuff electronic machines these show were your level is , ours have 3 green / 1 orange , 2 other colours , I record from 1 ( green ) up to 6 ( top colour ) i only use the wrist, if high will use second machine to get comparison I record each morning on a sheet , Also good to show your doctor ,how your pressure performing I see my cardiologist yearly as I have a pacemaker ( fitted 10 years ago )
, hope this is of help

Marji, I’m sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please listen to PPs advice. Every function in our bodies can be taken care of with the right diet. Finding the right one AND natural supplements are essential. Drugs will always backfire because Pharma is not out to save anyone. Only make money.

Last edited:
You need to get at least twice as much potassium in your diet as sodium.
For the technical explanation, see "Sodium-potassium pump." which is the mechanism your body has for eliminating excess sodium by replacing it with potassium.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium–potassium_pump
I had chronic high blood pressure for decades. Last checkup it was 118/72
Of course if you let the high blood pressure get too far out of control, you can damage your kidneys and may not be able to eliminate excess potassium. A person wth healthy kidneys can easily eliminate excess potassium.

I do not salt anything. Did that for years, but gave it up some years ago. I have always had low blood pressure, but now that I think of it, it had risen a bit and was in the normal range numbers. Then when I gave up salt, it went back down. Guess the explanation above is the reason!

Last edited:
BTW, I was on just about every BP med there is, taking combinations of meds, and the best I could do was around 135/85. I actually had an argument with my doctor one time with him telling me the BP wasn't that bad and me insisting that I wanted it lower.
When I was first diagnosed with hypertension I was in college and very active, playing racketball daily and swimming. I am nowhere near as active now.

You have gotten some great advice, but some herbal things you may check into stocking up/growing:

Roselle hibiscus- the ingredient on zinger teas
Ginger
Buchu- usually used for UTIs, but also used for hypertension
Soursop
Rauwolfia serpentine (snake root)
Cramp bark
Hawthorn

From people I have worked with, the big ones are the roselle, Hawthorn, and snakeroot. However, each has their own drawbacks and benefits. Some swear by roselle. Some Hawthorn.

Research each of them before taking any and check for contraindications. You may want to read up on Dr. Ornish, too, and his studies on diet and cardiovascular health.

Let me try to give a simple explanation of the thing about sodium and potassium. It is an oversimplification.

Sodium is more concentrated in your blood than in your cells.
Potassium is more concentrated in your cells than in your blood.

The cellular concentration of sodium must be very closely controlled for certain cellular functions. Because sodium is more concentrated in the blood than in the cells, it is constantly diffusing into the cells. It has to have help to get back out of the cells, or the sodium concentration will get too high and you will die. That is what the sodium-potassium pump is for.

If you don't have enough potassium, the sodium-potassium pump become inefficient. When this happens, in order to lower the sodium concentration in the blood and inter-cellular fluid to take some stress off of the sodium-potassium pump, your body retains water to dilute the sodium. This causes edema and high blood pressure. (remember this is an oversimplification, but the principle is correct)

Or for the "Executive Summary":

Potassium IN
Sodium OUT

Marji, I’m sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please listen to PPs advice. Every function in our bodies can be taken care of with the right diet. Finding the right one AND natural supplements is essential. Drugs will always backfire because Pharma is not out to save anyone. Only make money.

Marji, I’m sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please listen to PPs advice. Every function in our bodies can be taken care of with the right diet. Finding the right one AND natural supplements is essential. Drugs will always backfire because Pharma is not out to save anyone. Only make money.
This is the way I feel! I don’t trust big pharma and prefer natural cures. I eat healthy food and avoid processed food and additives. Don’t touch sugar, use olive oil and grow my own vegetables. Also use rain water most of the time. I am going to try these suggestions starting with the first one, plus the potassium. Some of the things are hard to find here so I am ordering from America and it will take about 3 weeks to get them. In the meantime I will cut out the salt, I don’t use a lot anyway. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

This is the way I feel! I don’t trust big pharma and prefer natural cures. I eat healthy food and avoid processed food and additives. Don’t touch sugar, use olive oil and grow my own vegetables. Also use rain water most of the time. I am going to try these suggestions starting with the first one, plus the potassium. Some of the things are hard to find here so I am ordering from America and it will take about 3 weeks to get them. In the meantime I will cut out the salt, I don’t use a lot anyway. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Good for you and your persistent attitude!! I know several people who have taken Red Yeast Rice and dramatically lowered their blood pressure. Also eat oatmeal.

If you art not already checking blood pressure, buy yourself 2 blood pressure machines a wrist & arm cuff electronic machines these show were your level is , ours have 3 green / 1 orange , 2 other colours , I record from 1 ( green ) up to 6 ( top colour ) i only use the wrist, if high will use second machine to get comparison I record each morning on a sheet , Also good to show your doctor ,how your pressure performing I see my cardiologist yearly as I have a pacemaker ( fitted 10 years ago )
, hope this is of help
Get a manual cuff and learn how to use it. Three digital cuffs can show three different readings and be way off the mark of your actual BP. When you auscultate, you get a much more accurate reading. And you don't need batteries.

I don't have bp issues, mine tends to run on the low side, but to add to others suggestions, take note of how you feel also if your BP is out of normal range per the BP device your using, low or high. Realizing either can go w/o symptoms, but take note if you are experiencing any and chart those with your numbers. If no symptoms, note none also, if numbers are out of normal range either direction.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional (and don't play one on TV).

Latest posts

Back