The Fall of Hospitals

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry, ERQueen. My husband has many medical issues and is hospitalized from time to time. I always stay, 24/7, even if it means sleeping upright in a chair. I've always found that the nurses appreciate this, after they realize I'm not a weirdo. I buzz them if there's a problem, otherwise I do what I can to help him. He was so nervous when he found out he had covid, thought he'd have to be hospitalized, and almost was. Because he said he wasn't go to stay if I couldn't be there with him. Luckily where we live, if you are not in the covid area, you can have two visitors. Don't have to be vaxxed either. But have to be masked.

What to do if you are hospitalized:

I would like to address a few things for those of you who may be hospitalized in the coming year (given the recent experience by @erqueen75 ). Hospital staff are burned out and tired, and I have seen some piss poor care recently (more on that later). Here are some basic tips to get you through it.
  1. Know that most of the units are now staffed by traveling nurses - and the units are way understaffed. This WILL affect your care - story to come.
  2. Do not ring your call bell every 10 minutes. Once is sufficient. Make a list and ask for everything at once, nurses don’t have time to go in your room every 15 minutes and like to group things together
  3. Be polite (you catch more flies with honey). I can guarantee you if you are a jerk - you will get pushed to the back of the line unless you are actively dying.
  4. Have an advocate for you. This does not mean someone who will call the hospital staff and berate them for not giving ivermectin. This is someone who is competent and knows your wishes. If you are allowed visitors, this person can be at the bedside for you and watch your IV to make sure it’s not infiltrated, or your IV bag that is hanging for hours does not back up with blood because the nurse forgot to put the clamp on.
  5. Make your living will/advanced directive now. If you become incapacitated, and cannot make decisions for yourself (even in case of car accident or some other trauma) - it is helpful for family to know what you would want.
  6. Bring your own toiletries, blanket/pillow if you can
  7. Know your medicines and allergies. Make a list, print it out and give it to the doctor or nurse taking care of you. Don't just say "its in my chart" - these things change all the time with additions/dosage adjustments.
  8. Bring your computer/ipad and your own chargers (preferably one with a long cord)
  9. Bring photos of people from home
  10. Bring a notebook to write things down - being in the hospital can be unfamiliar and disorienting. Its helpful to write things down to keep a record.
  11. If you are on a special diet, don’t have people sneak you food (I have taken care of people who have aspirated in the hospital on food brought in from home). Check with your provider first before you have food brought in.
  12. Realize that the hospital team physicians/APPs/nurses/techs, etc have been working long hours and have seen all the literature you can print out for them in regards to covid treatment protocols. Most hospitals follow evidence based medicine. Medicine does not work by “well its not harmful so lets try it”. Most things, we don’t know if there is harm or not - while it may not be harmful in an outpatient setting, the same does not hold true for the inpatient setting.
  13. Listen to the providers. They want to see you or your loved one out of the hospital. We all want wins at this point. Every person home is a win.
  14. Don't bring/take meds from home (even vitamins) unless cleared by your provider or asked to bring it in as its not on hospital formulary. Meds can interact with new ones started by the providers in the hospital. We don't always restart home meds right away depending on how sick you are.

My oldest daughter has a B.S. in Nutrition and is an RN. She is a lot more dispassionate than Florence Nightingale but always knows what to do in emergency situations on the floor. Many nurses are timid or freeze up according to my daughter. The more she does this, the more she is relied upon to do this. So she is a valuable person in a medical setting. But she will not be vaccinated. This means her employer will have to let her go Dec. 10th or so and other employers were evidently going to do the same. But based on her experience and ability, she got a job with a medical facility which agreed not to pressure her regarding vaccination. This is in Boise, Idaho.

I would like to address a few things for those of you who may be hospitalized in the coming year (given the recent experience by @erqueen75 ). Hospital staff are burned out and tired, and I have seen some piss poor care recently (more on that later). Here are some basic tips to get you through it.
  1. Know that most of the units are now staffed by traveling nurses - and the units are way understaffed. This WILL affect your care - story to come.
  2. Do not ring your call bell every 10 minutes. Once is sufficient. Make a list and ask for everything at once, nurses don’t have time to go in your room every 15 minutes and like to group things together
  3. Be polite (you catch more flies with honey). I can guarantee you if you are a jerk - you will get pushed to the back of the line unless you are actively dying.
  4. Have an advocate for you. This does not mean someone who will call the hospital staff and berate them for not giving ivermectin. This is someone who is competent and knows your wishes. If you are allowed visitors, this person can be at the bedside for you and watch your IV to make sure it’s not infiltrated, or your IV bag that is hanging for hours does not back up with blood because the nurse forgot to put the clamp on.
  5. Make your living will/advanced directive now. If you become incapacitated, and cannot make decisions for yourself (even in case of car accident or some other trauma) - it is helpful for family to know what you would want.
  7. Know your medicines and allergies. Make a list, print it out and give it to the doctor or nurse taking care of you. Don't just say "its in my chart" - these things change all the time with additions/dosage adjustments.
  8. Bring your computer/ipad and your own chargers (preferably one with a long cord)
  10. Bring a notebook to write things down - being in the hospital can be unfamiliar and disorienting. Its helpful to write things down to keep a record.
  11. If you are on a special diet, don’t have people sneak you food (I have taken care of people who have aspirated in the hospital on food brought in from home). Check with your provider first before you have food brought in.
  12. Realize that the hospital team physicians/APPs/nurses/techs, etc have been working long hours and have seen all the literature you can print out for them in regards to covid treatment protocols. Most hospitals follow evidence based medicine. Medicine does not work by “well its not harmful so lets try it”. Most things, we don’t know if there is harm or not - while it may not be harmful in an outpatient setting, the same does not hold true for the inpatient setting.
  13. Listen to the providers. They want to see you or your loved one out of the hospital. We all want wins at this point. Every person home is a win.
  14. Don't bring/take meds from home (even vitamins) unless cleared by your provider or asked to bring it in as its not on hospital formulary. Meds can interact with new ones started by the providers in the hospital. We don't always restart home meds right away depending on how sick you are.

All very solid, factual information and suggestions made by Dr., Thank you for the list.

One of our daughters does traveling ultrasound and does make double when she travels. Usually takes a 6 to 12 week trip. And she also gets a car, or a driver pickup (in Alaska) And free temporary housing and a food allowance. Then she takes a month off before taking another assignment.

Getting emails for bonuses up to $60,000 or 6 Grand for 36 hours...
Insane to think about when my first professional nursing raise was .15cents/hr...

Pray for our healthcare providers,
Erqueen75 :USA:
what is sad to me is our nurses who have stuck it out get nada. They are the ones who are invested in the unit and who really care.

Case in point - I have an unvaccinated healthy male (who is a physician) in the ICU (due to COVID ARDS) on a vent. His vent requirements had been stable. He has a superimposed bacterial pneumonia (like most do nowadays).
My goal for the last few days was to wean off his sedation. He had been on versed/dilaudid gtt. No paralytics and decreasing oxygen requirements.
I added scheduled oxycodone (so he didn't go into opiate withdrawal) and precedex with the specific documented instructions to wean down the drips one at a time until they were off.

The day nurse was just lazy and added everything on and came down by 0.25 on the dilaudid (I know this is a habit with him) - the night time travelling nurse, making lord knows how much money, put all them on at max doses and totally gorked the guy and watched you tube videos or tik tok or whatever the hell it was he was watching (I caught him watching videos at 5 am when I got there).
My day shift nurse the next morning who is fantastic - got everything weaned off by 10 am, O2 down to 55% and got him to open his eyes and sort of track around. His wife came in and was elated. (I was able to get him de-isolated since he had onset of symptoms over 3 weeks ago)
Night shift nurse - put all the sedation back on, now his O2 requirements are up to 85%.
This is the kind of crap that goes on.
Thought we had a win with this one, but now its tenuous at best.

I try to stay out of hospitals if I can even for day visits.
there are 93,000 vacancies in the British health service and mandating the double jab for hospital staff will probably see a lot more vacancies after next April. never mind burnt out staff who decide to leave.
care home staff have to be jabbed by tonight otherwise no jab no job, there are problems with staffing social care as it is.
I can see the whole system collapsing in the near future.

Some toiletries can make a world of difference in the time spent at the hospital...especially those staying with a patient. My wife went in for a procedure in 2019 and ended up with pancreatitis. A 4 hour stay ended up being 10 days. I had two more sets of clothes in the car and bare essential toiletries. I could at least shave and not stink. I slept in the room foldout chair and was up, shaved and dressed before the first round of nurses came through each morning. I had plenty of computers, phones, chargers, internet access, radios and police scanners to work and pass the time. I ended up making a list of things I needed if that were to happen again and its all in the a go bag by the door. I wasn't caught completely flat footed but it was an eye opener.

Latest posts

Back