How to start a fire in a fireplace

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to note though, they are dirty and a lot of work. Getting the wood is work, splitting, stacking and storing takes effort, but all is worth it to me.
No work for me. I write a check and the wood is delivered & stacked... like my hay. :)

Fireplace-ccfopt.jpg

Picture of the flue. I can get it to move, but not fully one way or the other. It might be broken.... pardon the cobwebs.

Fireplace2-ccfopt.jpg

I think it is just a gas starter, but not a full gas fireplace. So I wouldn't have to actually use the gas at all.
Fireplace-ccfopt.jpg

I only have that ego

I have that ego when it comes to asking my son a question. I would rather die than admit I don’t know how to do something to him. :)

Then complement reinstated! Congrats.

That's an old fireplace. A slightly different angle view of the flue might help. But it looks like that handle rotates toward the top of the picture to close the flue. There is a funky looking catch at the top of the pic, I suspect it has something to do with securing the flue in the close position?

Then complement reinstated! Congrats.

That's an old fireplace. A slightly different angle view of the flue might help. But it looks like that handle rotates toward the top of the picture to close the flue. There is a funky looking catch at the top of the pic, I suspect it has something to do with securing the flue in the close position?
I am going to try it again.. as soon a I get the vacuum cleaner in there:)

Okay well I vacuumed it so that I could better see what was going on. It turns out the reason I can move it from one side or another completely is because that thing that is on the far right side of the flue is a quick grip clamp. It is on there too tight for me to undo it..by hand at least. I may try it with a pair of pliers. My muscle is out running errands today. If I can't get it off myself, I will have to wait until he comes home.

View attachment 9246
Picture of the flue. I can get it to move, but not fully one way or the other. It might be broken.... pardon the cobwebs.

View attachment 9247
I think it is just a gas starter, but not a full gas fireplace. So I wouldn't have to actually use the gas at all.
View attachment 9246
That’s a prefab unit that could be used for gas or wood. I’m not positive but with mine, a similar model, it said if you install gas in it then you don’t burn wood anymore as it can damage the gas lines from the heat. That gas line might just be a starter for a wood fire, but I’m honestly not,familiar with it. I also recommending cleaning the flue before using. I clean mine myself, but you could learn about your unit from the guy that cleans it. One thing I noticed on your back wall were cracks. They are normal and when get too bad you can replace the panel. I left mine in place and cemented in new firebricks over the face of it. The pre fab units work fine but do take some maintenance occasionally.

Thanks Brent. I am still struggling to get the clamp off. I sprayed some WD40 on it, but it still won't budge. I think it is probably best to call a fireplace inspector out to give the green light before trying anything. Thank you for noticing the cracks. I was wondering about them. :)

I was lazy and didn't read all posts, but gas logs do not require the flue to be opened. Mine remains closed.
Some require a vent though, not for the exhaust but to add oxygen for the flames. There are also newer ones that burn more efficiently and don’t need any kind of vent. Honestly, I know just about enough about gas heat to think it’s wise to have a professional check out your specific heater. Leaks are easy to spot, by smell or just read the gauge when not in use and make sure it dosent loose pressure. Not knowing if your breathing carbon monoxide is a little scarier.... I am sure that with some research online you can figure out everything you need to know to safely operate it too if the budget is tight.

I would also go with the professional. Creosote build up in a chimney is not something to be taken lightly. Since you have not used it but there is obvious signs of use, then you have no idea what or how much was burned. Inspect and clean is my recommendation.

One night last winter I woke up to a flue fire in the cabin. The stove pipe and the wood stove were glowing bright red. Flames and ash were coming out the top of the chimney. I threw a plastic bottle of water in the wood stove to put the fire out in the stove. Then I climbed up on the roof and put some snow down the chimney to put that fire out.
A chimney fire is a pretty scary thing. At the time I had the fire I'd only been using the wood stove for a few months and only burn dry doug fir and larch. Since I had this fire I clean the chimney every couple of months.
A lot of people lose their homes every year to chimney fires because they burn wet or green wood and don't clean their chimney often enough.
I think an inspection and cleaning would be a good idea before using an old fireplace.

Last edited:
Right now our only source of heat in the cabin is a small cast iron wood stove. We can also cook on top of it which makes it nice.
Because we only heat with wood we're limited to about 8 hours on how long we can be away from home before things start freezing.
For the new house wood will be our primary heat, but we're also adding a propane furnace with heat pump and AC. It's an additional $12,000 for this system plus $6,000 for the wood stove, but this system will allow us to get away home more in winter.

Latest posts

Back