How to uninstall gas logs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I have decided to remove the gas logs I installed and return to burning real wood.

I need to know how to fix the gas line coming into the fireplace so that it doesn't explode when I put in wood. I can remove the logs, grate, etc, but there is the pesky gas line coming into the house.

Thank you guys.

I have decided to remove the gas logs I installed and return to burning real wood.

I need to know how to fix the gas line coming into the fireplace so that it doesn't explode when I put in wood. I can remove the logs, grate, etc, but there is the pesky gas line coming into the house.

Thank you guys.

Hire a professional. Having seen a gas explosion in a house I wouldn't mess around with it unless you are qualified.

You should be able to install a plug where the line runs into a junction, usually near the actual fireplace! I had gas logs when I first moved into this house and took them out because it was so expensive to use. I just followed the line to a 90 degree bend at the edge and installed a plug, then took that out and ran a line to make the fireplace where I can start the fire by gas or tinder! I figured after I installed the plug, it might be easier to keep the gas to start the fires, made it easier to get the Wife to start fires!:D If you don't want to install a plug that close to the pit, follow the gas line further down. Home Depot has everything you need to plug it! Or call the gas company to do it?

You should be able to install a plug where the line runs into a junction, usually near the actual fireplace! I had gas logs when I first moved into this house and took them out because it was so expensive to use. I just followed the line to a 90 degree bend at the edge and installed a plug, then took that out and ran a line to make the fireplace where I can start the fire by gas or tinder! I figured after I installed the plug, it might be easier to keep the gas to start the fires, made it easier to get the Wife to start fires!:D If you don't want to install a plug that close to the pit, follow the gas line further down. Home Depot has everything you need to plug it! Or call the gas company to do it?
The line actually runs to a off on switch at the pool. We had it for the gas pool heater, but dang it's expensive. The gas is already cut off there, I guess I just need to remove line that runs inside the house.

cap/plug the line as close to the gas line shut-off valve as possible - remove any of the pipe that is accessible and/or in the way for operating the fireplace >> with the valve closed & locked/blocked from re-opening - that line is effectively dead and anything else done is just additional safety & convenient ....

Latest posts

Back