How to start a fire in a fireplace

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPrepper

Demi-God
Reaction score
Okay... don't laugh.. but I have lived in a home that has a fireplace for a total of 20 years. I have never once even tried to use the fireplace. We are not fireplace people. Of course, for the most part, a fireplace isn't really even necessary in most parts of Texas.

As a kid my grandmother had a fireplace. It was the only source of heat in her home. We moved A LOT when I was a kid. Sometimes we stayed in tents in KOA camps or in small campers. We might have camp fire, but not a fireplace. When I traveled overseas, one home had a fireplace, but I just used a kerosene heater.

My fireplace is gas operated. It has some sort of key thing on the side of the fire place that you have to turn on. I don't have a key. I am told I can buy one. I am just thinking I should know how to use the fireplace, in the event that I actually need to (if the electricity were to go out).

Here are a few questions I have...and I am sure there are more that I haven't even thought of.

How do you tell if the flue is open or not?
Just because it is a gas fire place, do I have to turn on the gas?
Do you buy fake logs? Real logs? What is the difference?

The flue usually has a lever mounted just inside the chimney. Now as for real wood or not, more info is needed, yes you do have to turn on the gas to burn gas but do not have to turn on gas to burn wood / logs if it does not use fake logs. Fake log setup will usually have fake logs installed above an igniter below the gas ports / rack. A picture would help, for better response. My writing skills are very limited. So it is difficult to explain.

Well the key, turns on/off the gas valve. You need to find out if it's a gas only fireplace or if it's a gas assisted wood burning fireplace. The flu you can see if it's open or not or feel for a draft.

Okay... don't laugh.. but I have lived in a home that has a fireplace for a total of 20 years. I have never once even tried to use the fireplace. We are not fireplace people. Of course, for the most part, a fireplace isn't really even necessary in most parts of Texas.

As a kid my grandmother had a fireplace. It was the only source of heat in her home. We moved A LOT when I was a kid. Sometimes we stayed in tents in KOA camps or in small campers. We might have camp fire, but not a fireplace. When I traveled overseas, one home had a fireplace, but I just used a kerosene heater.

My fireplace is gas operated. It has some sort of key thing on the side of the fire place that you have to turn on. I don't have a key. I am told I can buy one. I am just thinking I should know how to use the fireplace, in the event that I actually need to (if the electricity were to go out).

Here are a few questions I have...and I am sure there are more that I haven't even thought of.

How do you tell if the flue is open or not?
Just because it is a gas fire place, do I have to turn on the gas?
Do you buy fake logs? Real logs? What is the difference?

It takes a real man to risk looking a bit foolish asking questions like this! But we aren't born with genetic memory, so asking is a right move.

Go on youtube & look for "how to start a gas fireplace" and you can see how to use the key. To open the flue, usually across the front of the door area at the top is a little lever that you swing over. Stick your phone in there & flash a picture upward (don't look, you'll get soot/stuff fall in your eyes!). You can see if the flue is open. ANd flipping the lever, take another picture to verify it opens. You may need to use a lighter to start the flame.

we used to have a fireplace when I lived at home with my parents, dad installed a gas fire and all you had to do to turn it on was to turn a lever/spigot like a water tap and light the gas. sometimes there is an igniter.
now there is an art to even LAYING a real fire in a fireplace, one that burns wood that is, that's a completely different subject to the OP.

It has been mentioned but I want to make sure you really understand. Many homes are built with a fireplace/chimney that CAN NOT burn wood... only gas. The reason for this is it is much cheaper to build. Many of these chimneys will not even have a flue. A fireplace/chimney designed to burn wood can be used both ways... natural gas log insert or real wood. With real wood units, like my two fireplaces, there can be gas run to them with the key/valve you mention. This is to assist lazy folk like me start a wood fire. No kindling or paper needed. Just load the wood, turn on the gas, ignite and when the wood catches... turn off the gas.

As others have said, it would be a good idea to have the unit inspected and possibly cleaned if it has burned wood in the past.

We have family coming over today to the farmstead for a holiday get together. Highs today are in the 30's so both fireplaces are already loaded with wood and ready to go. Just gotta finish the gumbo. :)

Usually there's a gas valve somewhere on the gas feed line that needs to be turned on first. Then the key at the fireplace needs to be turned on. Some gas fireplaces have a red push button that you push to actually light the pilot light. Some of the older units you light with a match. The fake logs are mostly decorative, but they also help to defuse the fire providing more heat.
Unless an animal got in to the flue pipe and died or made a nest, it should be clear.
Most gas fireplaces are more for looks than for actually heating a room.
Is your FP an LP or natural gas unit? Does it have a fan? If so that will help a lot to move some heat around the room.
It would be much better if your house had a wood burning fireplace instead. Then you could add a fireplace insert and have a much better backup sourse of heat. And a way to cook on during a power outage.
Usually you can't convert a gas burning fireplace to a wood burning fireplace without doing a major remodel.

I’m a big believer in do it yourself but sometimes paying a charge to a professional to inspect and go over your specific system with you isn’t a bad idea.
its a legal requirement in the UK, when dad put in the gas heating he did it himself but he had to get it checked and certified by a gas professional.

If anyone considers a major remodel to be able to make a fire for warmth, installing a wood burning stove is much cheaper than a brick fireplace and it’s much more efficient to heat and cook with.

If anyone considers a major remodel to be able to make a fire for warmth, installing a wood burning stove is much cheaper than a brick fireplace and it’s much more efficient to heat and cook with.
Installing a wood stove in a house is actually pretty simple. Just run the flue pipe up through the roof. Make sure that the top of the pipe is at least 2' higher than the high point of your roof. Otherwise it may not draw properly.
Converting a gas fireplace to a wood burner would be a major remodel and probably not feasible.
On our new house we're building a wood chimney (26"×76") with double wall stainless pipe running up the center.

I only have that ego
Well Gollllley! I forget with some of the generic names who's a guy & who isn't!

Never mind. Women don't have the egos men have, so complement withdrawn!
I have that ego when it comes to asking my son a question. I would rather die than admit I don’t know how to do something to him. :)

Most certainly true. That being said, there is nothing like a real crackling fire. I love the smell.

I love a wood fire too. One thing to note though, they are dirty and a lot of work. Getting the wood is work, splitting, stacking and storing takes effort, but all is worth it to me. The exercise is good for you anyways. My wood stove is on the porch with it’s own access door, so at least I can contain the dirt and ash to one area. I was burning in the living room fireplace and it was always a mess over the winter. Still worth it to me.

Latest posts

Back