Sticky How prepared are you right now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally have not packed anything, everything is in my basement and if a sitaution occurs I decide what I need and pack what I need exactly then.
Packed luggage can have an advantage, if my luggage is packed for a financial crash and there is a change e.g. war with Russia or a terrorist attack it takes me too long to repack.

Preparations are one thing, but you should also think about what to do with the material that you can not take with you in case of escape, it can not be in the end that a possible opponent benefits from your own supplies, especially not if it is weapons or food.

I wouldnt guarantee getting any food from a farmer post collapse. or from anyone else come to that. self reliance is the only way.
There are no true guarantees in life but farmers are in business to sell food, that's what they do now, and after a collapse they will be like everyone else, trying to make an income. I can't even imagine a scenario where a farmer has fields full of food and is unwilling to sell to a local, all you would have to settle on is a currency.

90% of what most preppers grow at home is not protein, it's salad suff, canning tomatoes, canning fruit, and they are off to the shops every few months to buy their sugar, salt, you name it. Protein is the key to life on earth.

I have heard this talk about countless millions heading out of the city into the rural areas for years and years and most of it is rubbish.
Well I don't know where you came by that belief bigpaul but you only have to look at any time in history. Today people are fleeing cities in droves because of covid, In Myanmar masses of people are fleeing cities to rural backwaters due to the coup there. When the Japanese invaded China 100 years ago millions fled to the countryside and an uncertain future.

There are countless other examples of the masses fleeing for any number of reasons, probably the abandonment of the Rome and her other cities is the classic case history. Hungry people will move, in cars, on trains, on bicycles or on foot to anywhere they think food and a better life is to be found.

As Inner-City Areas Decay, Blacks Flee to Small Towns
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/04/us/as-inner-city-areas-decay-blacks-flee-to-small-towns.html

Farmers do sell/trade with locals. I was talking about newbies coming into the area farmers live and wanting to buy. If an economic collapse has happened, I do believe the farmers will be taking care of their families and neighbors first. People coming in from the suburbs or cities aren't a priority.
You are right about the protein. Most people just garden. Seasonally. And don't put up any of their extras. Most people don't raise protein sources because they refuse to butcher and eat what they raise.

Well I don't know where you came by that belief bigpaul but you only have to look at any time in history. Today people are fleeing cities in droves because of covid, In Myanmar masses of people are fleeing cities to rural backwaters due to the coup there. When the Japanese invaded China 100 years ago millions fled to the countryside and an uncertain future.

There are countless other examples of the masses fleeing for any number of reasons, probably the abandonment of the Rome and her other cities is the classic case history. Hungry people will move, in cars, on trains, on bicycles or on foot to anywhere they think food and a better life is to be found.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/04/us/as-inner-city-areas-decay-blacks-flee-to-small-towns.html
you are talking mostly about ancient history, my theory is that modern people will not do this, they dont have the knowledge or skills to survive, and in most western countries they are too wedded to their technology to be able to survive a basic, simple life without modern conveniences and services.

don't know where you are looking - but the US rural population has been shrinking since the 1930s and the decrease has been accelerating >>>> the urban areas are the population growth areas in the civilized world

and post-Covid the residents that left are coming back in and causing rent & property value $$$ spikes - if CA EVER gets it's shit together - SF will even prosper again ....

you are talking mostly about ancient history, my theory is that modern people will not do this, they dont have the knowledge or skills to survive, and in most western countries they are too wedded to their technology to be able to survive a basic, simple life without modern conveniences and services.

Anyone paying attention to South Africa?

Video of farmer being looted.

Pays to have security, above and beyond family and friends.

For us that live in the rural areas I hope your right Paul. I would imagine there will be some well armed folks that think surviving means stealing and will not just lay down and die so easily.

Last year, when the lockdowns started, still a lot unknown, I was standing on top of the ridgeline over looking the road.
It was quiet.
Like, a good 30-45 minutes pass and not a car.
No masses from the city, coming into the rural areas, shooting us all and taking our stuff.
I think if COVID had a truly scary mortality rate of say 10% or greater, most people would be too afraid to leave their homes. And if that were the case, those living outside of cities might not be inclined to risk having it come to their communities and do something about it.

There are no true guarantees in life but farmers are in business to sell food, that's what they do now, and after a collapse they will be like everyone else, trying to make an income. I can't even imagine a scenario where a farmer has fields full of food and is unwilling to sell to a local, all you would have to settle on is a currency.

90% of what most preppers grow at home is not protein, it's salad suff, canning tomatoes, canning fruit, and they are off to the shops every few months to buy their sugar, salt, you name it. Protein is the key to life on earth.

While I agree with the economics side of what you are saying, but if SHTF, and your customer base 60/100/1000 miles away just got cut off due to lack of fuel/transportation, I am not going to be tilling my fields full.
Now, would I till enough to keep me, friends, neighbors going, yep. Might not sell in the traditional sense of exchange of cash, but in goods and services.
I am currently raising two pigs for protein.
Then there are the chickens, ducks their eggs.
Got goats and cows.

That is true, there has been an exodus of city folks to the suburbs and rural areas.
And they have very soft hands.

Fellow Preparers,
I have read through all eleven pages of your comments and I just have a quick few notes off the top of my head...
*10-15% of us will never acclimate to the hot heat or freezing cold. Just something in our brain says "nope, not changing."
*How many of you have your Mark 1 Kit for Nerve Agent Treatment (ONLY!), let alone full MOPP gear to survive a NBC- Stressing the biological and chemical threat here? And if so, what does this do for your livestock, your crops, your water supply?
*Now onto my "favorite" subject. Nuclear. What can I say- seeing "The Day After" in 1983 as a kid scarred me... As many of you know, you should not take Potassium Iodide after age 40 to try and protect that thyroid... HOWEVER, there are other Prescriptive Medications you can get from your friendly Dr. P.A. or N.P.~Prussian Blue, DTPA, and Neupogen. So after whoever bombs us to hell, call up your GP and drive down to the Walgreens to pick up an IV of Diethylenetriamine Pentaacetate, one for the whole family!
*Many of you mentioned in your First-Aid Kits that you have gear for burns, and that is fabulous. Thermal burns are horrible, whatever degree they are! I COULD NOT even fathom what a radiation burn would entail. Burns cause havoc to the body- unseen smoke inhalation damage, dehydration, malnutrition, bedsores, infections, and the pain. Load up on the single malt scotch, please...
* A GREAT note added by Gary, how many of you stay as fit as possible for your ages/medical concerns so that you don't suffer a stroke or heart attack trying to gather your gear or secure your land if, (God forbid) something does happen to the greatest country the world has ever known...

Thank you for reading. Please comment if you wish. Anyone hear from Maverick?
With utmost respect to you all,
Erqueen75 :USA:

ERqueen75 has several a good points. Just this year my wife and I have gotten our act in gear, she has lost over 50 pounds, I have lost over 30 pounds. We are both past 65 and weight loss at that age is difficult. This is a quality of life issue as we want to stay mobile and active. Anyone can buy gadgets and gear, what good are they if you are sitting in a chair unable to move.

Great post and prepared questions.

We use Chlorine Dioxide (CD), it Neutralizes Radiation Particulates
and Detoxes the Body of Radiation Poisoning. Its cheap and easy to use. Its already a major part of my preps since it has a vast number of uses.

Please note that CD CANNOT heal you, the same for DPTA and the others. It ONLY detoxes, so the immune system has
a lighter load. Then the body heals itself. Got it? :)

Well, I have been to more than a few very hot places.
And a few cold ones too, to include my current location.

You can only take off so much clothing before you are stark naked.
I can always add another layer.

I have yet to hear any of my Amish neighbors dying from the cold.

You can only take off so much clothing before you are stark naked.
I can always add another layer.
I am working daily in the garden at temps above what most of you are having at the moment around 38°C to 45°C (115°F) daily, lots of time on my bad knees under an umbrella to help, drinking 8-9 liters of tea and water daily, gonna start the 16ft X 16ft stone terrace next week, re-doing the sheet metal roof on the garage and connect it to the new terrace roof as I finish it. Roto-tilling and mowing weekly. Can't say I am acclimatised to the heat yet, get into the pool a couple of times daily to cool off, but I do prefer the cooler times also. Another pair of long-johns or another jacket is easier than trying to stay cool on the hottest of days.
I did hear that Texas got really hot the other day tho....
But it is keeping me going in the heat, keeping my muscles working, keeping me ready to take on more work if needed, practicing working in the garden and raising my own food and keeping me "ready" for the SHTF days in the future. I am ready but the wife has no resilience to changing temps and stress...

Latest posts

Back