Sticky How prepared are you right now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at my BOL. Safe enough to only worry about defending in SHTF. But I do have to be prepared to bug out due to wildfire.
I cleaned out the tack room of the horse trailer today, 15 years worth of filth and stuff for horse shows.
Now what goes back in there is 3 bins I had by the edge of the carport in case of earthquake. Camping gear to some, survival gear to others. Still lots of room to decide what to have readily packed.

How prepared am I?

Finding out this week by not going to any store or gas station and living a normal life. Next month, up it to two weeks. And so on.

If I had to, can go three months. Working on substitution of perishables.

Watching what is going on in South Africa for lessons. A real SHTF scenario right before our eyes.

How prepared am I?

Finding out this week by not going to any store or gas station and living a normal life. Next month, up it to two weeks. And so on.

If I had to, can go three months. Working on substitution of perishables.

Watching what is going on in South Africa for lessons. A real SHTF scenario right before our eyes.

haven't seen absolutely anything from the SA nationwide prepper group - the majority of the correct thinking urban whites belong - been prepping for decades for this kind of situation >>> ready with their stocked trailers to caravan into the bush to establish protected camps ...

Even for farmers who think they are far enough away from the looting hoards.

Farmers are regularly murdered in SA and the lesson is obvious. Having a remote property far from neighbors is not necessarily the safest choice in a disorderly world. It's why farmers in the darkages clustered together in small villages. But if you wan't to know what really works in that environment have a look at the small town of Orania in SA.

It has a population of around 2500 people and no crime. That's right, Zero crime.
It is the role model as far as I am concerned and I live in a rural Australian town of similar size and makeup. I'll add too that I did have a rural property, 100acres, but the odd walkins and thefts convinced me it would be a bad choice in the long run. This thinking doesn't sit well with those who have followed the prepper mantra that a remote and isolated BOL is the logical endpoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape

Last edited:
Well, I have been to more than a few very hot places.
And a few cold ones too, to include my current location.

You can only take off so much clothing before you are stark naked.
I can always add another layer.

I have yet to hear any of my Amish neighbors dying from the cold.
My sister says the same thing and prefers the cold too. My blood has thinned out living in the south. Anything under 60 degrees is freezing to me! Lol

Last edited:
Farmers are regularly murdered in SA and the lesson is obvious. Having a remote property far from neighbors is not necessarily the safest choice in a disorderly world. It's why farmers in the darkages clustered together in small villages. But if you wan't to know what really works in that environment have a look at the small town of Orania in SA.

It has a population of around 2500 people and no crime. That's right, Zero crime.
It is the role model as far as I am concerned and I live in a rural Australian town of similar size and makeup. I'll add too that I did have a rural property, 100acres, but the odd walkins and thefts convinced me it would be a bad choice in the long run. This thinking doesn't sit well with those who have followed the prepper mantra that a remote and isolated BOL is the logical endpoint.

your comparing apples and oranges, what happens now is not necessarily what will happen post collapse especially when there is no electricity and no fuel.

That was an interesting article. Will be curious how they fare through all the current upheaval and economic problems. Basically when things go tits up, the have nots have historically taken from the haves. if I lived there I would hope for armed security groups where everyone is mandated to do service in. I really respect Israel’s military model where everyone is trained and can be called upon when needed. There is a storm coming there and likely many other places as economic issues increase.

your comparing apples and oranges, what happens now is not necessarily what will happen post collapse especially when there is no electricity and no fuel.
You are assuming there will be no fuel. The classic prepper/survivalist collapse assumes total collapse of all infrastructure but that is only one possible outcome. It could be like what we see in SA and Venezuela and a host of other places now, a collapse where most are totally impoverished but where others have access to anything they want. If you are counting total collapse and it doesn't happen...

I think the biggest danger to a prepper going forward is a closed mindset about the future. Anything could happen, and a Total Collapse might be 50 or 100 years away.

My sister says the same thing and prefers the cold too. My blood has thinned out living in the south. Anything under 60 degrees is freezing to me! Lol
To me the best weather was where we lived in Alaska. Summer temps rarely got over 70 degs. Since we lived at about 500 feet elevation our winters were more mild than at sea level too. It seldom got below -20.

To me the best weather was where we lived in Alaska. Summer temps rarely got over 70 degs. Since we lived at about 500 feet elevation our winters were more mild than at sea level too. It seldom got below -20.
-20 is hard for me to even imagine. Luckily people can be pretty tough when they need to be. Either that or they move to Florida!

"-20 is hard for me to even imagine. Luckily people can be pretty tough when they need to be. Either that or they move to Florida!"

-24F one morning in Oklahoma this past February. Besides me, none of my friends could get their homes much past 45-50°F.

In an emergency, go to the local newspaper and ask for all the cardboard boxes they have. They have plenty.

Layered the floors in my 100 year old home with drafty floors in cardboard, three layers deep.

Latest posts

Back