Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran across this

Attachments

• 20230420_033659.png
    20230420_033659.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
I hand weeded around my mullein plants this morning . I am estimating I have around 100 . I tried planting them by seed a few years ago but that attempt failed . What I have now came up voluntarily in a location I find acceptable . For any that might be wondering what is mullein or what is it good for , I want it for after SHTF and toilet paper is no longer available , It has very large soft fuzzy leaves . Yep we will be the group with the nice smelling as-es , At least during the late summer and fall of the year . Everyone else will be walking around smelling like sh-t . A leaf of that plant might could be used for barter like they used to do with tobacco leaves .

I hand weeded around my mullein plants this morning . I am estimating I have around 100 . I tried planting them by seed a few years ago but that attempt failed . What I have now came up voluntarily in a location I find acceptable . For any that might be wondering what is mullein or what is it good for , I want it for after SHTF and toilet paper is no longer available , It has very large soft fuzzy leaves . Yep we will be the group with the nice smelling as-es , At least during the late summer and fall of the year . Everyone else will be walking around smelling like sh-t . A leaf of that plant might could be used for barter like they used to do with tobacco leaves .
I had a huge one last year so I let it go to seed and drop. So far, I haven't seen any seedlings. I was hoping to make a tincture because I read it is great for lungs and breathing.

This past early winter , I ordered by computer fig tree cuttings , for rooting . I had 17 . Though a lot of trouble taking them inside and outside battling cold weather now have 11 leafed out . I have homes for all of them . With sugar prices about to explode and the economy destroyed by Biden and friends , a sweet treat may be as valuable as perhaps the early pioneer days .

Last edited:
I have some beef steak tomatoes coming along, green beans, peas...lots of things blooming and starting to produce right now..these are in one of the raised beds..

Looks like I need to replace a board on one..haa

Attachments

• 20230422_193526.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230422_193058.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230422_193133.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday, I brought in most of my first round of radishes. I left the larger ones to go to seed so I can collect and re-plant. Did you know that the greens are edible like collards?

Most recipes call for them to be sauteed, but, I like to add them to salads. They are high in iron and magnesium, and there is some evidence that they help with Alzheimer's symptoms and lung issues. To me, they have a slightly tangy taste and when mixed with other lettuce, the texture is good.

Every year I get more stubborn due to the fact that I can't plant seeds unless they offer something other than beauty. I brought smaller pots to the yard this morning and ended up planting all edibles. Mostly herbs.

I will plant flowers that self seed like zinnias and marigolds. They served the bees and marigolds keep pests away.

I feel as though I am wasting space if I plant flowers without a dual purpose.

The wife has 75 tomato plants sprouted and are about 4"-5" high already. Plus she has a couple trays of bell peppers and other vegetables sprouting. She's planted chives twice and for some reason they won't grow. We have 12 Concord grape plants in a bucket in the garage and 5 fruit trees on hold down at the nursery.
It's still well below freezing at night and in the low 40's for high temps. We're getting very little sun so the snow is melting slowly, but it is melting.

My wife just was out plantIng plants bought from big box. It’s my way of disproving her Darwin theory of plants.
I know she enjoys it, just wont listen to me. I like to use pony poop as a natural fertIlizer.
Built her a nice raised bed garden, fenced, with the capability of adding electric fence. I know i will be the one watering it.
New place, automatic waterers. Probably wont need Much either.

Every year I get more stubborn due to the fact that I can't plant seeds unless they offer something other than beauty. I brought smaller pots to the yard this morning and ended up planting all edibles. Mostly herbs.

I will plant flowers that self seed like zinnias and marigolds. They served the bees and marigolds keep pests away.

I feel as though I am wasting space if I plant flowers without a dual purpose.

Me too! I have even trimmed down my plantings this year to those I know, 1) we will eat, 2) those that will last for months in cool storage (root cellar), 3) those that produce more per plant, 4) and those I love to can.

Will be adding a few flowers for bees. I am even considering planting herbs instead of flowers in my many hanging porch planters.

The herbs I planted around some fruit trees last year are up and growing! A few didn’t make it, but 85% did! And I’ve had to do nothing!! :D

View attachment 19681

In two weeks I am attending a learning weekend at Polyface farms…you know the one owned by Joel Salitin. The processes he uses to raise animals and grow food is acclaimed worldwide.

So, if you have questions of any kind, post them here or pm me and I will get answers for you!
I have to say that raising animals and food on a place like in the picture above would be easy, fertile soil, plenty of rainfall. Just about opposite of our place.
Sounds like a great weekend, and I'm sure that you'll learn a lot.

Interesting. This shows how many types of seeds have already been taken from us!! Not good folks. Not good. Start keeping your own seeds!!

1682681769853.png

The top numbers are from 80 years ago, showing hundreds and hundreds of different types per vegetable. The lower numbers show a dozen to a few dozen types for each vegetable.

Myself, I have two tomato types that I’ve searched everywhere to purchase, without success. The plants this year will be kept totally for seeds.

Latest posts

Back