Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you find some?

Haven’t had the time yet to search. I will though. Really busy with the greenhouse plant starts, decorating the porches for Easter and spring cleaning. We have family coming this weekend.

Am helping my hubby with installing a fountain we just got. So excited! It is one that looks like a hollow tree several water basins down it, with lights for nighttime. We removed a bunch of overgrown bushes from the one corner of the house. Putting the fountain there in the indented corner and adding Boxwoods along the pebble path that goes to large stone steps to the backyard.

My wake up call on that one was many years ago when a prepper I highly respected, mentioned that he had witnessed migration of large numbers of destitute refugees before and it looked almost like a plague of locust had swept through as they moved on.

Every plant commonly known as edible, had been consumed and destroyed including private gardens, crops and woodlands. The only thing that was left in their wake were plants that were either thought poisonous, inedible or mistaken for such.

Again, in a TEOTWAKI event, migrants will learn as they go from others what to eat and what to leave alone.

If you live in the boonies, by the time those once clueless people get to your area, they will be fairly well practiced in both raiding and foraging so, one of your back up plans for food needs to be the art of stealth gardening. It is just common sense.
I have been planting canas, elephant ears and hastas on my land because most people see them as just flowers. I also plant asparagus that looks like weeds, and ‘junk’ trees people hate like mulberry. So many people are so accustomed of not eating anything they find out of the ordinary that I hope some of my edibles will be unnoticed.

Happy new gardening season! Just received my Johnny’s Seeds catalog and am sitting here perusing it. Yes, I have a lot of seeds already…but I can’t resist getting some additional ones. Am thinking about creating a few lists of must have seeds and then buying numerous “sets” for neighbors and friends. First list will be Herbs for Cooking. Second will be Herbs for Medicinal Use. Third list will be Survival Vegetable Garden.

Does anyone have ideas about what they would add to these lists?Perennials

Dollar weed... I don't know that one. I'll have to look it up.

This week, I showed my kids the spring beauties everywhere (edible tiny tubers), the bittercress (peppery flavor), the wild onions, the chickweed, etc. There are so many edibles out here if people know where to look!

I was impressed because I asked them if the chickweed and the bittercress were the same plant and immediately they said no and pointed out the differences. It took me close to an hour of studing a field guide to see that when I started learning wild edibles! 😆 Kids are so much better at observing.

Maybe look for these growing on your property.

Bitter lettuce
Dandelions
Dog fennel
Sheppards nettle
Spider wart
Violets
Plantain
Dollar weed
Rattlesnake root
Fissell (celery)
Stinging Nettel
Cat brier
Smilex
Dollar weed is edible! Will have to look that one up. It's an Achiles Hill for me. Thanks!!

I have never heard of some of these. Maybe we call them by different names.
Dollar weed

1680737291285.png

Dollar weed is a pain in arse! It takes over most of my garden every year..all year long...I pull n pull vines and vines of it up constantly...gonna have to look up some recipes if it's edible!
If you don't pull up the roots, it will continue to spread, but at this piont I will just let it be and spread. Why not.

Latest posts

Back