Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying not to till gardens this year. Today I put down a 4" layer of wet leaves between rows. When I get all the leaves off the pool, I should have enough to cover the rest. Around the fence, I am putting down feed bags, boxes, etc. I know that squash bugs like living under cardboard, so I'll have to check regularly.

Went down to the nursery today and bought 5 fruit trees, 2 apples, a cherry, a plum and 1 peach, and 15 pounds of seed potatoes. It came to $550, they screwed up and charged $5500 on the credit card. We called and they corrected their mistake.
It's way to early for us to plant anything at our location but if we wait until we can plant, everyone will be sold out. I'll take my truck down in a few weeks and bring the trees home, I'll keep them in the shop until they can be planted.
We're heading home now, it's cold, windy and a few snow squalls.

So you don't greensprout, either, I assume?

I had never heard of anyone doing that before.

Are you referring to chitting the potatoes? If so, it is the way to get your potatoes producing quicker. You only cut potatoes in pieces if they are large enough and have sprouts on both ends of the potato. If you cut the potatoes you must let them cure a bit. Otherwise they will rot on you.

Are you referring to chitting the potatoes? If so, it is the way to get your potatoes producing quicker. You only cut potatoes in pieces if they are large enough and have sprouts on both ends of the potato. If you cut the potatoes you must let them cure a bit. Otherwise they will rot on you.
Yes! I thought that was a local term. Haha

You can tell potatoes are NOT my strong suit.

I did know about letting them cure, but I didn't realize you only cut them in there were sprouts on both ends. I thought you just cut a hunk with every 3 eyes or so.

I'm excited for my potatoes this year! You guys have taught me a lot and I think I might actually have some success.

Every year I grow watermelon. The plants grow good but I've never got a ripe watermelon yet. Our growing season is too short I guess. The other day at the nursery I picked up some seeds that claim 55 days to maturity. I'd love to grow a good watermelon.
What variety were they? We grow Sugar baby but they're 75 days. I would love to have a shorter session variety for off years!

did know about letting them cure, but I didn't realize you only cut them in there were sprouts on both ends. I thought you just cut a hunk with every 3 eyes or so.

Some folks do follow that method. Personally I don’t. Have had potatoes not produce well when cutting them up too much.

Well, I never had any trouble with potatoes. Sometimes I just simply took a potato like it was (not sprouted) and cut it into chunks with one eye per chunk, and buried them. No fertilizer, potting soil, nothing. The bed was watered by runoff from the roof.
Come back later and dig up a bunch of new potatoes, without fail.

I cut the eyes in big chunks off the potatoes also and plant them...I usually do allow them to cure before planting, but Larry just puts the potatoes in the soil without curing first. We get potatoes from either method. Watermelon, we have not been able to get past very small melon forming, then they usually rot on the vine. Last year, I think we had 2 or 3 forming and they all went bad on the vines.

I was mistaken. The seeds I bought were Sugar Baby, 75 days. I must have been looking at something else.
I love Sugar Baby watermelons. I just wish there were more varieties to keep on-hand just in case.

My potatoes in the past always seemed to grow ok up top, but I was lucky to get 1 good sized potato per plant. I've read so many books that say potatoes are an easy crop. Who knows why they weren't for me. I am changing up a lot this year and it's different soil, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

I'm definitely growing more determinate tomatoes this year. I always thought indeterminate was the the best, but for canning they really weren't.

Hopefully I will be able to can mine this year rather than buying. I am still growing some heirloom to harvest seed, but I need to figure out the best production while I still have access to seeds and plants.

Latest posts

Back