Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of yesterday , I was informed my grandson's wedding has been changed from my garden area to a neighboring property due to more room on the neighbors property for a large gathering . That means that I can now plant my garden . Of concern with the garden , for me was the high probability of a financial collapse or World War three from two fronts either China or Russia or more probable both simultaneously . Regardless of what is about to happen a garden this year could be critical . I will have to go thru our food supply and evaluate what we may need to grow this year .

I have more worms in my garden than in past years. I guess it is the chicken bedding and cardboard.

As mentioned before, I am trying to not till this year. What do you guys with the weeds that come up in the rows. Pull or cover with mulch. I'm worried about vine borer and squash bugs if I use cardboard around the squash

I have more worms in my garden than in past years. I guess it is the chicken bedding and cardboard.

As mentioned before, I am trying to not till this year. What do you guys with the weeds that come up in the rows. Pull or cover with mulch. I'm worried about vine borer and squash bugs if I use cardboard around the squash

I eat the weeds or feed to the chickens, depending on what it is.

HOW TO MAKE VANILLA!

“Ever notice how expensive vanilla extract is? Where we live, a tiny 1oz bottle goes for $5 - $7. Thats super expensive. However, there is a huge difference between the natural stuff and the imitation. Natural vanilla comes from vanilla beans grown in either Madagascar or in Tahiti (each has a slightly different flavor).

Imitation vanilla is made from vanillin (the primary flavor component of vanilla). Vanillin is manufactured from a substance called guaiacol. The world's guaiacol supply is derived from refining regular old petroleum. Thats right... you're eating the same stuff that is derived from what you fill your car up with every day. Then they add in "carmel coloring" to make it look like the real thing... but those colorings are full of cancer causing man-made dyes.

We took a hard left turn from that and have been making our own pure vanilla extract. We use top shelf vodka and vanilla beans. We do one batch with Tahitian beans and one with Madagascar beans. The beans need to infuse for 6 months to a year to really impart the flavors, but the result is amazing. The alcohol cooks off in baked goods, so no worries there.

Here is a batch that we started in February and its already turning that golden color from the vanilla beans. You have to have a little patience, but this is a half gallon of the real thing at a tiny fraction of the cost of buying it and without eating petroleum! You can reuse the beans over and over again several times to make additional batches also... further lowering the cost.”

1681247417017.jpeg

Purpose Driven Homestead @Purpose_Driven_Homestead

Why our foods won't grow.

Taking the video as true , then this effects everyone including those that we are told are it paying for it & carrying out , I ask how are they not being affected as well , do they have an antidote , all the people involved in the spraying in the air , how are that not affected when the step out of the aircraft they were in , as said if this is truly happening there is no escape for the good & bad people , which I cannot understand the logic

HOW TO MAKE VANILLA!

“Ever notice how expensive vanilla extract is? Where we live, a tiny 1oz bottle goes for $5 - $7. Thats super expensive. However, there is a huge difference between the natural stuff and the imitation. Natural vanilla comes from vanilla beans grown in either Madagascar or in Tahiti (each has a slightly different flavor).

Imitation vanilla is made from vanillin (the primary flavor component of vanilla). Vanillin is manufactured from a substance called guaiacol. The world's guaiacol supply is derived from refining regular old petroleum. Thats right... you're eating the same stuff that is derived from what you fill your car up with every day. Then they add in "carmel coloring" to make it look like the real thing... but those colorings are full of cancer causing man-made dyes.

We took a hard left turn from that and have been making our own pure vanilla extract. We use top shelf vodka and vanilla beans. We do one batch with Tahitian beans and one with Madagascar beans. The beans need to infuse for 6 months to a year to really impart the flavors, but the result is amazing. The alcohol cooks off in baked goods, so no worries there.

Here is a batch that we started in February and its already turning that golden color from the vanilla beans. You have to have a little patience, but this is a half gallon of the real thing at a tiny fraction of the cost of buying it and without eating petroleum! You can reuse the beans over and over again several times to make additional batches also... further lowering the cost.”

View attachment 19505

Eww. I didn't know that's how imitation extract was made. Gross. I didn't use it, thankfully.

HOW TO MAKE VANILLA!

View attachment 19505

One year I made bottles of vanilla for Christmas gifts for my family out safe decorative bottles with directions on how to add more vodka as needed. They loved it.

Estimating I moved about 100 gallons of wet, rotting leaves from the pool cover and threw them over the railing so I can put them on the garden for mulch.

100 gallons of wet leaves is very heavy and I am lying her with an ice pack. I have to clean the cover now to get off all of the nasty crud.

Leon is ready to go swimming.

Today I ordered a pint of Onslought yellow jacket poison. This is the only poison that I know of that when added to bait, like cat food, the YJ will take it back to the nest and kill the entire nest. Queen and all. Every year I put out traps and catch thousands of yellow jackets and hornets with no noticeable reduction in their numbers. I have high hopes for this Onslought.

The #1 Key to Growing Full-Size Fruit Trees in Small Spaces

6397d036d4909c1daa2df96f48c18b76
David The Good

April 12, 2023

Did you ever wish you could harvest fruit in your backyard, but think you just don’t have the space to grow fruit trees?

You might want to rethink that assumption!

I realized years ago that the supposed maximum size of trees isn’t a set thing. If you stay on top of pruning, you can do some amazing things with your fruit treesincluding grow multiple fruit trees in a small space.

1681732997638.jpeg

https://thegrownetwork.com/fruit-trees-small-spaces/#comnt
Think your yard is too small for fruit trees? Never say never! Here’s the trick to growing healthy, full-size fruit trees in small spaces!

Did you ever wish you could harvest fruit in your backyard, but think you just don’t have the space to grow fruit trees?

I realized years ago that the supposed maximum size of trees isn’t a set thing. If you stay on top of pruning, you can do some amazing things with your fruit treesincluding grow multiple fruit trees in a small space.

While visiting the farm of a man who had formerly worked for the University of Florida, I saw peach trees that were kept at an easily pickable 8-foot height via aggressive pruning when they were young.

More recently, I saw a fruit-laden tamarind tree that had been repeatedly cut by a local electric companyat only about 6-foot in height! The branches stuck out sideways low to the ground and bore pods after the center was cut down. Instead of harvesting fruit with a long pole from branches 40 feet in the air, the owners could just pick by hand.

A full-size tamarind tree can easily shade most or all of a typical backyard. A full-size apple can almost do the same. Yet the answer we are often given to this issue is to “plant dwarf trees.”

Dwarf trees are deliberately grafted onto rootstocks that restrict the growth of the tree. Unfortunately, this also leads to weaker trees that die much younger than standard fruit trees.”

5 Free, DIY Compost Activators

The Grow Network

April 11, 2023

Help your compost break down faster with one of these 5 free, DIY compost activators—and you’ll quickly end up with black gold!

1681733335187.jpeg

Compost Activators: Get Better Compost in Less Time

Did you ever notice that some things compost beautifully, while other things bog down your bins? I try to keep an eye out for the exceptionally good compost activators that I come across. These can be very handy if you keep big compost piles, because they help your compost heat up and finish faster.

To be totally honest, some of the best things I’ve found aren’t actually free. I keep a bag of cottonseed meal fertilizer on hand just so that I can kick a slow pile of compost into gear, or finish a pile up quickly for an upcoming planting.

But you don’t have to spend any money at all if you don’t want to. Here are 5 compost activators that are free for the asking (if you ask the right person).

5 Free, DIY Compost Activators

A quick word of warning: if you’re using compost tumblers and putting in mostly fresh kitchen scraps, these nitrogen boosters are probably not a good idea for your tumblers. It’s more likely that a nice carbon source like dry leaves or shredded paper would speed your compost up.

The following 5 compost boosters are nitrogen sources, which are intended for people who have big piles of compost with dead leaves from the yard, dead weeds, etc.

Compost Activator #1—Yard Waste

Compost Booster #2—Supermarket Waste

Compost Booster #3—Coffee Grounds

Compost Booster #4—Hair

Compost Booster #5—Urine

This one will be a little easier for the fellas—but with a jar or bottle, anyone can contribute their “spare nitrogen” to the compost pile. If you host a barbecue or an informal party, put a little sign in the bathroom and ask if the guys wouldn’t mind peeing on the compost pile instead. They can contribute if they’re comfortable with it.”

Entire article here: 5 Free, DIY Compost Activators - The Grow Network

The #1 Key to Growing Full-Size Fruit Trees in Small Spaces

6397d036d4909c1daa2df96f48c18b76
David The Good

April 12, 2023

View attachment 19563

The #1 Key to Growing Full-Size Fruit Trees in Small Spaces - The Grow Network
Think your yard is too small for fruit trees? Never say never! Here’s the trick to growing healthy, full-size fruit trees in small spaces!

More recently, I saw a fruit-laden tamarind tree that had been repeatedly cut by a local electric companyat only about 6-foot in height! The branches stuck out sideways low to the ground and bore pods after the center was cut down. Instead of harvesting fruit with a long pole from branches 40 feet in the air, the owners could just pick by hand.

A full-size tamarind tree can easily shade most or all of a typical backyard. A full-size apple can almost do the same. Yet the answer we are often given to this issue is to “plant dwarf trees.”

Dwarf trees are deliberately grafted onto rootstocks that restrict the growth of the tree. Unfortunately, this also leads to weaker trees that die much younger than standard fruit trees.”
I love this! I do find that dwarfing rootstock tend to mature and set fruit earlier, though.

I always wanted to espalier a few trees, but I am too scatterbrained to manage it well.

Latest posts

Back