First-aid kits: Stock supplies that can save lives

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shoe string? zip tie? holy crap man, if i have a wound that big just freaken kill me n save the resorces roflmmfao
I like your spirit! HA HA. Sometimes just a stitch or two can stop bleeding that just might be life threatening. Same thing with a zip tie. It is amazing how many resources will be able to be used when the SHTF and there is no dr. or hospital. It could be a regular Gilligan's Island situation to make due with anything that is around.

First-aid kits: Stock supplies that can save lives

A well-stocked first-aid kit can help you respond effectively to common injuries and emergencies. Keep at least one first-aid kit in your home and one in your car. Store your kits in easy-to-retrieve locations that are out of the reach of young children. Children old enough to understand the purpose of the kits should know where they are stored.

You can purchase first-aid kits at many drugstores or assemble your own. Contents of a first-aid kit should include:
Basic supplies
  • Adhesive tape
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Antiseptic solution or towelettes
  • Bandages, including a roll of elastic wrap (Ace, Coban, others) and bandage strips (Band-Aid, Curad, others) in assorted sizes
  • Instant cold packs
  • Cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs
  • Disposable latex or synthetic gloves, at least two pairs
  • Duct tape
  • Gauze pads and roller gauze in assorted sizes
  • Eye goggles
  • First-aid manual
  • Petroleum jelly or other lubricant
  • Plastic bags for the disposal of contaminated materials
  • Safety pins in assorted sizes
  • Tooth preservation kit consisting of salt solution and a sealable travel case
  • Scissors, tweezers and a needle
  • Soap or instant hand sanitizer
  • Sterile eyewash, such as a saline solution
  • Thermometer
  • Triangular bandage
  • Turkey baster or other bulb suction device for flushing out wounds
Medications

• Activated charcoal (use only if instructed by your poison control center)
  • Aloe vera gel
  • Anti-diarrhea medication
  • Over-the-counter oral antihistamine (Benadryl, others)
  • Aspirin and nonaspirin pain relievers (never give aspirin to children)
  • Calamine lotion
  • Over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream
  • Personal medications that don't need refrigeration
  • If prescribed by your doctor, drugs to treat an allergic attack, such as an auto-injector of epinephrine (EpiPen)
  • Syringe, medicine cup or spoon
Emergency items

• Cell phone and recharger that uses the accessory plug in your car dash
  • Emergency phone numbers, including contact information for your family doctor and pediatrician, local emergency services, emergency road service providers and the regional poison control center
  • Medical consent forms for each family member
  • Medical history forms for each family member
  • Small, waterproof flashlight and extra batteries
  • Candles and matches for cold climates
  • Sunscreen
  • Mylar emergency blanket
  • First-aid instruction manual
Give your kit a checkup

Check your first-aid kits regularly, at least every three months, to be sure the flashlight batteries work and to replace supplies that have expired.

In addition, take a first-aid course to prepare for a possible medical emergency. Be sure the course covers cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and how to use an automatic external defibrillator (AED). Renew your CPR certification at least every two years.

Prepare children for medical emergencies in age-appropriate ways. The American Red Cross offers a number of helpful resources, including classes designed to help children understand and use first-aid techniques (Mayo Clininc, 2012).
I would also add some toothache drops or some sort of first aid for oral problems. One other item would be a plastic ziploc bag for ice or to put cold water in for an emergency situation needing that kind of first aid attention.

I will make sure I have some good German beer in my provisions. No sense being miserable during the dark days
That is a great personal goal. If and when the crisis occurs those little personal items of desire will be so welcomed. Make sure you hide it well so others don't know you have it and take it from you.

MEDIC WE NEED MORPHINE OVER HERE! lmao
That is what all the alcohol is for! NO, NO KIDDING! alcohol will be a great pain killer and a good anesthetic during emergencies. The Bible spoke of the uses of wine and that wine in those days was pretty potent. We can learn from that for our tough times too.

That is what all the alcohol is for! NO, NO KIDDING! alcohol will be a great pain killer and a good anesthetic during emergencies. The Bible spoke of the uses of wine and that wine in those days was pretty potent. We can learn from that for our tough times too.
In the 1800's the Doctors would often use whiskey as a cleaner by pouring it in the wound and then give the patient a shot.

In the 1800's the Doctors would often use whiskey as a cleaner by pouring it in the wound and then give the patient a shot.
Yes, and we will hope that those actions won't be necessary, but it sure is good to know them. Thank you. In the years past some mothers and fathers rubbed whiskey on the gums of babies who were teething to numb the tender gums of the infant. Now, that might be best done in secret, because the DHS (department of human services) could take a child away for neglect if they found out a prepper was putting alcohol in the mouth of babies.

ya i know, dcs (dept. child serveces) wont just let people raise their kids anymore! i mean look at the judges sitting on the bench who probably got "the belt" while growing up, didnt look like they turned out so bad right?
i love the toothing gel idea, and darn near forgot that one, i have a 2 and half month old baby! thats going to be hell if he teeths and i dont have anything!

ya i know, dcs (dept. child serveces) wont just let people raise their kids anymore! i mean look at the judges sitting on the bench who probably got "the belt" while growing up, didnt look like they turned out so bad right?
i love the toothing gel idea, and darn near forgot that one, i have a 2 and half month old baby! thats going to be hell if he teeths and i dont have anything!
I sure would have been in jail or my 3 children taken away because when my 3 acted up they got what they needed then and there. Those were the really good days for parents and children. I do look at some children today and can see what really bad things have been done to our family unity . Yes, the older judges have sometimes been brainwashed to thinking the modern way and not the smart way too.
Just a tip for adult tooth pain and one that might be a good prepper item to remember too. A clove of garlic with the parchment removed and then thinly sliced will provide antibiotic and pain treatment for a toothache. You put that sliver right on the gum; in between the tooth that is painful and the cheek. I had an abscess and could not see a dentist for 3 days. I used the garlic for those days and when I went into the dentist he confirmed that held me until I got to him.

lol im sure your dentist loved your breath! but thats a good idea for any case DD or not!
thank you for that!
I am sure my breath was not very good is right. It has to be fresh garlic not garlic powder or garlic salt or crushed garlic in the prepared form. You are welcome. thank you for your planter idea for the making of the logs. I forgot to tell you I appreciated that.

Yes, and we will hope that those actions won't be necessary, but it sure is good to know them. Thank you. In the years past some mothers and fathers rubbed whiskey on the gums of babies who were teething to numb the tender gums of the infant. Now, that might be best done in secret, because the DHS (department of human services) could take a child away for neglect if they found out a prepper was putting alcohol in the mouth of babies.
It is sad that c.p.s. (child protective services) and the d.a.'s office now have the say as to how we as parents are to raise our children. And the government wonders why there are so many F'ed up kids out there.

It is sad that c.p.s. (child protective services) and the d.a.'s office now have the say as to how we as parents are to raise our children. And the government wonders why there are so many F'ed up kids out there.
I think our government has gotten way too big and it is fringing on too much individual choices way too much. Government has even people spying on each other to interfere with another's family dealings. I think if a person knows a child is being harmed that they should report that, but other than that I think people should mind their own business.

ya a bunch of little wanna-be hoodlem gangsters that need a good butt whoopen!
Yes, and a lot of people who don't know when to keep their selves where they belong. I know of some friends who lost jobs and had to fight to stay in a community because of people minding the couple's business instead of their own. The couple was right, but enough people ganged up and made trouble out of their own desires and not out of facts.

Dcfs got into my life a while ago.
me and the wife got into a drunken argument, i tryed to leave and didnt see her trying to lay behind the car, and i ran her arm over. when i heard her scream i stopped, got out, and helped her as much as i could, apologizing the whole time.
DCFS stepped in and took my kids, forced her to get a restraining order (which i had esponged) or she wouldnt get the kids back, and forced her in to a domestic violence shelter. i was pinned as the bad guy from the start! we had to go through anger management, domestic violence, and parenting classes (not together) and i was only allowed monitured visitation for my kids for a year! over a stupid argument turned into an accedent! btw, her arm was just fine but with alot of bruising.
and to top it off the first Worker we delt with messed things up even more, like lying in her reports, and giving us wrong court dates!

Dcfs got into my life a while ago.
me and the wife got into a drunken argument, i tryed to leave and didnt see her trying to lay behind the car, and i ran her arm over. when i heard her scream i stopped, got out, and helped her as much as i could, apologizing the whole time.
DCFS stepped in and took my kids, forced her to get a restraining order (which i had esponged) or she wouldnt get the kids back, and forced her in to a domestic violence shelter. i was pinned as the bad guy from the start! we had to go through anger management, domestic violence, and parenting classes (not together) and i was only allowed monitured visitation for my kids for a year! over a stupid argument turned into an accedent! btw, her arm was just fine but with alot of bruising.
and to top it off the first Worker we delt with messed things up even more, like lying in her reports, and giving us wrong court dates!
This took some courage to again relive this by stating what happened in your life some time ago.I have a lot of respect for you and your wife to be where you are now with all of that taking place for you.This is a prime example of the government stepping in and actually making things worse.So glad things turned out with you and your wife to be what they are today. You sure should be appreciative what you now have together.

ya we learned alot from the experience, if nothing else the classes we were forced to go to were infact quite useful. i have a 16 year old friend that got his girlfriend pregnant, shes 16 as well, and they asked my advice i told them 1st, to stay in school no matter what happens and 2, to go take parenting courses, the courses will not only give good advice but the actual parent get to explain their situations and give advice to others. a valuble asset, knowledge!

ya we learned alot from the experience, if nothing else the classes we were forced to go to were infact quite useful. i have a 16 year old friend that got his girlfriend pregnant, shes 16 as well, and they asked my advice i told them 1st, to stay in school no matter what happens and 2, to go take parenting courses, the courses will not only give good advice but the actual parent get to explain their situations and give advice to others. a valuble asset, knowledge!
There are times when what we know can be given to someone to help them too. Great advice and hopefully they will do those things.

Good advise to give them! I couldn't agree more on the importance of parenting courses for young parents as well as getting an education. They will thank you for this advise I am sure of that!

Latest posts

Back