Helpful Info. Fear & Alarm over Corona starting to spread.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
Dunno about the Americas apart from San Francisco who have declared an emergency even though they have no reported cases.

But in Europe the media and many governments are realising their actions to date are ineffective, little things "Experts" and government ministers are letting slip out shows they cannot control things, AND they dont actually know what to do.

Basically if they do what is right to counter the outbreak then it cripples business and commerce in that country. And the same applies that if they stop people travelling by train, plane, bus, etc then again it cripples their economy so most governments are doing NOTHING to stop the spread.

Examples

Millions still travelling on planes and trains on short / medium haul journeys but none of the planes or trains are being disinfected after each trip. The infection is primarily spread by contact but also airborne, but no one is cleaning any surfaces that can harbour the infection.

Ministers are suggesting that its down to schools and colleges to decide if they want to close down

Many Italian shops are out of pasta and assorted extras as panic buying and pasta factories close down.

Motorway service stations, Bus terminals and railway stations are NOT being disinfected

Libraries, Government offices etc are NOT being disinfected

Some agencies are saying WEAR FACE MASKS whilst others say FACE MASKS DONT WORK

Other agencies say schools etc should close, other say stay open.

Thousands of tourists stranded in hotels where there have been outbreaks are basically being ordered to stay in their rooms and the only contact with the authorities has been to have their temps taken ONCE.

Panic buying so far.... Food, Disinfectants, Masks, Bottled water, Medical supplies, Fuel.
Panic so far.... Tourists in hotels across Europe where infections have broken out are demanding to be brought home, which (A) would cost millions and (B) help spread the outbreak.
Panic..... Some folks tested negative in Wuhan tested positive when they came home.

Summary SNAFU no government or health agency is even remotely coming close to controlling the outbreak, its down to Preppers to care for ourselves.

Agreed. Gov'ts have switched from 'containment' to 'manage'. This thread isn't really about the disease, it's about the 'impact'.

Until now China had shut everything down. Business, stores, travel, everything. In an effort to prevent it from spreading. But it was too late, with CNY people had gone across the country & many around the world. So they had a choice: kill their economy completely & hopelessly try to 'contain' it, or just 'live with it'. And China made the wiser (IMO) choice: save the economy & doom millions to die.

So here we are. 2 or 3 European countries found their first cases yesterday. 3 more countries had found their first case the day before. Italy has exploded. Iran is a bomb infecting every country around it. South Korea. Japan. Some places we don't even know 0.1% such as Thailand & North Korea.

So where are we going? This thing is going to make the worldwide rounds just like the Spanish Flu 102 years ago. Millions are going to die. Medical systems are now preparing (or about to prepare) for this eventuality. 33% of the world population got the Spanish Influenza? This will probably be worse. The Pandemic is now inevitable.

And I'm being an optimist here. How do you prepare for something that cannot be avoided?

How do you prepare for something that cannot be avoided?

Slow it down as much as possible, work on finding an effective treatment and hunker down while waiting for it to get here. A vaccine is still at least a year out. This almost certainly will become endemic just like the cold and flu. SARS was eventually contained because it could be detected by temperature. This can be infectious before it can be easily detected.

I only wish we could get real numbers out of China. Too many unknowns still. Italy is not encouraging.

Last edited:
One note, an example. A fellow in San Fran a few days ago went to the hospital and insisted that they test him for corona virus. They said they saw no cause to test but he insisted. His insurance refused to pay for same reason. He got a $3,500 bill. Ouch. Even if 100x markup, $35 per test?

Doc makes good points. Hunker down. You can't buy masks/gloves, but use what you can get & already have. I'm going to Costco to stock up today.

When I took inventory of my masks, I could not locate a package of masks I bought for just this eventuality. What I do have was for sandblasting and dusting the garden with diatomaceous earth.

So I went out mask shopping. Harbor Freight was stocked to the gills with masks and respirators. Their masks, however are not rated but very cheap - $1.99 for a package of 5. So I picked up some of those as a fallback. Their respirators are N95 rated, and I already have one, but it's not the most comfortable thing to wear.

So next I went to Home Depot. Whole different story. A complete section for respirators in the paint department that was almost picked to the bone. They had one box of 3M P95 respirators down on the bottom shelf and a few boxes of cartridges for them. I picked one of the respirators up to look at it and while I was standing there someone came and took the whole box - minus the one I was holding. I quickly grabbed some cartridges while I could...

We just planning for a winter time stay and not leave the property, the house in town is already fully stocked for kids that work (4) the house isn't in town per say 2 miles out on 20 acres, I already called to have the propane tanks to get topped off on both properties. I can't think of anything else to do except carry on as we do, if the kids feel it's better not to come to the property they will stay in the house. I told my doctor Monday I'm going out of state for vacation for a couple of months in the near future and I will need my meds for the duration, he said he can only prescribe for 3 months worth and give a call when I'm fixen to leave, when the virus seems to be growing here I will have the meds FedEx here, least I'll have 3 months worth (I only take two pills nothing major)

Panic no, Aware yes

All the RZ M2 P99 masks have been bought or stolen from all the local Lowe's and home depots. I already have mine, but others that went looking for tgem in the last few days, called the stores that each said they had them in stock only to arrive to find them missing, after going to 6 different stores that still showed them in inventory, he gave up.
He ended up getting P99 masks with faceshield from healthranger store for 11.95 each

Pence is in charge guys...what could possibly go wrong???

Meaning or implying? He can and is organizing experts from the medical field and with the states health professionals, he also has the right ear of the President meaning he more opt get get things done without bureaucratic BS

The stock market is really starting to show the effects now too. Over the weekend the Dow dropped and then has been going down all week, but today it had a huge drop over 1000 points. I expect this is just the beginning as people start to realize just how big this will get.

I could be wrong and I sure as hell hope I am not,,,yes we will see this in the USA but it will not spread like wild fire across the USA,,,,the stock market dropping is nothing more than fear of the unknown,,,people are the same way scared to death buying things that in the end they will never use,,,

but there is nothing wrong with getting ready for the worse.................

I saw today the cdc recommended to have enough supplies to last 2 weeks without leaving your home if it hits hard near your area. I don’t think two weeks is near enough time to let this thing burn itself out of an area. 2 months is more realistic.

Latest posts

Back