And the panic buying starts to bite

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20..._source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

By Patrick Sawer, Senior News Reporter ; Helena Horton and Yohannes Lowe 28 February 2020 • 6:00pm
Premium
TELEMMGLPICT000226194192_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqyuLFFzXshuGqnr8zPdDWXiTUh73-1IAIBaONvUINpkg.jpegimwidth=480

Shelves empty of hand sterilising gel at a Boots store in York, Yorkshire, as concerns grow over the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) across the UK Credit: Colin Scarr/LNP/London News Pictures Ltd
Online supermarket Ocado has told customers to make their orders further in advance as households began stockpiling food and basic health products in the face of growing fears over the impending scale of coronavirus in Britain.

As the number of confirmed cases of the virus jumped by six in just 24 hours the online retailer said it had been experiencing "exceptionally high demand" with customers placing "particularly large orders". Lidl also said they had seen a spike in sales of durable products and disinfectants.

Following the outbreak there have been warnings that panic buying could become rife, with anxious shoppers stripping shelves of tinned food, bottled water and other basics.

Already Boots is restricting the purchases of hand sanitiser to two bottles per customer, while shoppers have reported buying large quantities of nappies, toilet roll, soup, tinned fruit, pet food and medicine in case they are forced into self-isolation by the virus.

Many chemists have already sold out of facemasks - despite warnings by health officials they are of limited use in everyday circumstances - and online scammers have begun exploiting fears by selling stocks at vastly inflated prices.

Lidl said its supermarkets were “experiencing a significant increase in demand for durable products or disinfectants.”

A spokeswoman added: “We are doing everything we can to ensure the food supply and we have increased deliveries to our branches.”

Tonight Ocado also warned customers to book further in advance after seeing demand sky rocket.

In an email the company told customers: "We want to let you know that we’re experiencing exceptionally high demand at the moment.

"More people than usual seem to be placing particularly large orders. As a result, delivery slots are selling out quicker than expected."

The online supermarket said shoppers should place their orders two to three days further in advance than usual and if possible pick a weekday slot.

The online supermarket said shoppers should place their orders two to three days further in advance than usual and if possible pick a weekday slot.

Consumer experts predict the situation will only get worse if the numbers of Britons suffering from coronavirus begin to rise in line with the spread of the virus in parts of northern Italy, where several towns are in lock-down amid 655 cases of COVID-19 and 17 deaths.

They warn that the UK’s reliance on foreign food imports and last-minute supply chains could leave it vulnerable if the crisis deepens and panic buying takes hold.

Professor Tim Lang, an expert in food policy at City, University of London, said: “The food sector today runs on a ‘just-in-time’ logistics system. The whole idea is to not have storage. Britain is catastrophically dependent on external sources.”

Ratula Chakraborty, professor of business management at the University of East Anglia (UEA) , said: "The prospect of whole towns being in lockdown and shops closed is heightening the fear and stockpiling may become rife.

"Inevitably some anxious households will begin stocking piling food, medicines and other storable essentials.”

Some shoppers have already admitted on social media that fear of coronavirus was leading them to begin stockpiling.

One told Mumsnet said they were "filling the cupboard with soup, tomatoes, tinned fruit, flour, crackers”.

Another confessed she was considering building “a small stockpile or supplies because of corona”, adding: "I've never done so in my life. But reading about the Italian villages that have been put on lockdown and families can't leave their homes has got me thinking.”

Social media users have posted photographs of empty shelves, with one reporting a run on bread at a Waitrose in Bath, while another posted a photograph showing high demand for aspirin at a Tesco in London.

Emergency Food Storage UK, Europe’s largest emergency food supplier, says it has been inundated with orders for its emergency food supply kits since the start of the COVID-19 crisis. These range in price from upwards of £169 for a standard one month supply.

There have also been reports that some households have bought chest freezers to be sure of enough supplies, with others even planning to turn one room in their house into an 'isolation zone' equipped with cooking equipment, bedding and food in case they are required to self-isolate.

Chemists and supermarkets have seen shelves emptied of sanitiser wipes and gels as consumers heed official advice to regularly wash their hands to reduce the risk of the virus spreading further.

Branches of Boots have begun displaying signs reading: “Due to high demand we are only selling two hand sanitisers per person. Sorry for any inconvenience.”

Superdrug has also been hit by high demand. Muna Mohamed, a website writer and developer from London, posted on social media: “Tried to buy hand sanitiser today at Superdrug – the WHOLE section was out of stock. Tried another two stores, same thing! Apparently there’s a shortage of hand sanitisers all over. Scary!”

In a statement Boots said: “We are currently out of stock of surgical face masks in stores and online. We have also seen an increase in sales of hand sanitisers but we still have stock available in our warehouses for stores and online. There is currently a limit of two hand sanitisers per customer to ensure as many people as possible have access to them.”

TELEMMGLPICT000226354514_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqyuLFFzXshuGqnr8zPdDWXiTUh73-1IAIBaONvUINpkg.jpegimwidth=480

People wearing face masks on the London Underground, as the first case of coronavirus was confirmed in Wales and two more identified in England - bringing the total number in the UK to 19. Credit: Kirsty O'Connor/PA
Meanwhile the number of shoppers at the normally busy Bicester Village outlet in Oxfordshire has plummeted. The outlet is popular with Chinese visitors, but they have largely disappeared since the start of the coronavirus crisis.

Attempts to exploit fears over Coronavirus has prompted the giant online retailer Amazon to remove adverts for products which claim to cure the virus.

Sellers are being blocked from describing cleansers, surgical face masks, and sprays as capable of ‘destroying’ COVID-19.

In one case, Amazon told a seller it would remove their listing for a surgical face masks because it made “unapproved medical marketing claims.”

It comes as EasyJet followed British Airways in announcing it was cancelling flights to Italy due to falling demand as a result of the continued spread of coronavirus.

One unintended consequence is the sudden availability of cheap travel deals, with prices falling as tourists prove reluctant to travel to areas associated with coronavirus.

Low-cost airlines are listing flights to Venice and Milan for under £20 each way, while some operators are selling week-long holidays to Tenerife in March for as low as £267.

China Southern is offering return flights from London to Beijing from just £330.

'Buying' is happening in stores & in Wall Street. A buddy called me mid-day yesterday, he'd already gotten $500k in "super deals" in stocks just yesterday. I told him "hold my beer and wait 2 weeks". I think the downfall is going to continue for weeks. Every new 'event' is going to drive more to dump. Today was the first death on US soil. And 2 new cases on the west coast with 'unknown source' for getting ill... one of them a teenager. Every plateau, every 'next crisis', every 'haven violated' is going to cause another drop.

I sent my husband to our local small Walmart. It’s usually well stocked at all times. He just text me and told me that they had 2 boxes of Sambucol, 5 bottles of Zinc cold tablets, and 7 boxes of antibacterial wipes. He bought everything they had except 3 of the antibacterial wipes.
He said there was a lot of bleach left.

I sent my husband to our local small Walmart. It’s usually well stocked at all times. He just text me and told me that they had 2 boxes of Sambucol, 5 bottles of Zinc cold tablets, and 7 boxes of antibacterial wipes. He bought everything they had except 3 of the antibacterial wipes.
He said there was a lot of bleach left.
My husband and I did a Walmart tour this afternoon as well. Shelves with dried beans and rice wiped out. Canned foods and meats hit pretty hard. Bleach was getting pretty low and no wipes at all. Medicines were going quick but still had some store brands left. Lines were really long we waited for probably an hour to check out with all registers open and self check out. Fender bender in the parking lot as well. Neighbor dropped by and said that the local Dollar General had been out of sugar and such all week. Some probably had to do with being the first of the month and all govt checks were issued though. I think we are officially going to call that our last trip and shut the gates. I've got 2 quilt tops to quilt and lots of knitting to occupy until spring planting starts. Hubby has several projects to occupy him as well.

My husband and I did a Walmart tour this afternoon as well. Shelves with dried beans and rice wiped out. Canned foods and meats hit pretty hard. Bleach was getting pretty low and no wipes at all. Medicines were going quick but still had some store brands left. Lines were really long we waited for probably an hour to check out with all registers open and self check out. Fender bender in the parking lot as well. Neighbor dropped by and said that the local Dollar General had been out of sugar and such all week. Some probably had to do with being the first of the month and all govt checks were issued though. I think we are officially going to call that our last trip and shut the gates. I've got 2 quilt tops to quilt and lots of knitting to occupy until spring planting starts. Hubby has several projects to occupy him as well.

very interesting,,,,,,,,,,,here in Sharp County Arkansas it was just another Saturday,,,I hate the self checkout but was in a hurry and from the time I was at the line to out the door was maybe 8 minutes...there was
no waiting,even where there were cashiers there were only 3 max in line

very interesting,,,,,,,,,,,here in Sharp County Arkansas it was just another Saturday,,,I hate the self checkout but was in a hurry and from the time I was at the line to out the door was maybe 8 minutes...there was
no waiting,even where there were cashiers there were only 3 max in line
It will probably differ depending on the area. This is the smallest and probably most remote county in TN. Only 1 small Walmart in the county. The local hospital was bought by a foreign company last year and closed down. So there is no emergency room or hospital in that entire county.

It will probably differ depending on the area. This is the smallest and probably most remote county in TN. Only 1 small Walmart in the county. The local hospital was bought by a foreign company last year and closed down. So there is no emergency room or hospital in that entire county.

sounds a lot like here,,,

I was thinking to order some more freeze dried food for my stash. Pretty much everything is SOLD OUT on every site.
I decided to do some checking around town. Every store I checked is completely sold out of masks of any kind, except for a few dust masks in a couple hardware stores.

I was thinking to order some more freeze dried food for my stash. Pretty much everything is SOLD OUT on every site.
I decided to do some checking around town. Every store I checked is completely sold out of masks of any kind, except for a few dust masks in a couple hardware stores.

For us the past 2 weeks has just been filling in holes. Hubby went and got new glasses. Oil changes and vehicles serviced. Picking up odd and end things that may help. While we do have masks they were not a priority for us. It was more taking care of loose ends while it was still safe to do so. We tend to over think things and maybe that safety window may be closing quicker than we think in certain areas.

Latest posts

Back