Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is your hubby doing? Hope he is better and your formed a better bond with the little helpless goat. Was sorry to read you can’t see your grands.
Hunny was up at midnight throwing up again. So far since getting up this morning, he has kept down a piece of toast for breakfast, but when going out to feed, he started feeling nauseated. Still kept it down though. He has been napping on and off most of the day. I hope he is on the mend now.

As for my little guy, I took him out this morning so he can nibble on greens. We found a split watermelon in the garden so ended up giving it to the goat, but little Brandon was following me so he got a piece of it too. Think “we” may have an understanding, at least today.

It hit 90 degs here today with about 12% humidity. Got the garden watered today, started at 6.30 this morning and finished at 4.00. We picked a bucket of raspberries, red, black and yellow. Some blackberrys are starting to turn red. Picked some tomatoes too. Garlic and onions are getting close to pick too.
The smokehouse is almost finished. Just need to line the inside with cement board, stain it and make some racks. As hot and dry as it is here now I probably won't fire it up until fall.

It hit 90 degs here today with about 12% humidity. Got the garden watered today, started at 6.30 this morning and finished at 4.00. We picked a bucket of raspberries, red, black and yellow. Some blackberrys are starting to turn red. Picked some tomatoes too. Garlic and onions are getting close to pick too.
The smokehouse is almost finished. Just need to line the inside with cement board, stain it and make some racks. As hot and dry as it is here now I probably won't fire it up until fall.
I'll admit I would be loving your 12% humidity at 90 degrees! Our skies were over cast today though so very nice with a southern breeze. . . Maybe that is a benefit living off the coast line even though we are inner coastal.

I'll admit I would be loving your 12% humidity at 90 degrees! Our skies were over cast today though so very nice with a southern breeze. . . Maybe that is a benefit living off the coast line even though we are inner coastal.
I really don't mind the 90 degree days because of the low humidity, and it always cools off at night. Its 8.30 here and the sun is going. Theres a cool breeze starting. Because of the problem with our battery bank, once the sun goes down I have to start the main generator and let it run all night. I also turn the AC on.
Tomorrow we're going to load the dogs up in the side by side and head up to the lake. Its about 12 miles from the house. The "road" is really rough so it takes about an hour and a half to get there. We never see anyone else up there. With this heat there may not be any snow left.

I really don't mind the 90 degree days because of the low humidity, and it always cools off at night. Its 8.30 here and the sun is going. Theres a cool breeze starting. Because of the problem with our battery bank, once the sun goes down I have to start the main generator and let it run all night. I also turn the AC on.
Tomorrow we're going to load the dogs up in the side by side and head up to the lake. Its about 12 miles from the house. The "road" is really rough so it takes about an hour and a half to get there. We never see anyone else up there. With this heat there may not be any snow left.
We are about to experience how long our battery bank last us during the day, but if your having to start your generator when the sun goes down, I'm not hopeful. Our's is planned to go back into the grid and then the propane as the last result.

We are about to experience how long our battery bank last us during the day, but if your having to start your generator when the sun goes down, I'm not hopeful. Our's is planned to go back into the grid and then the propane as the last result.
The failure of our battery bank was mostly my fault. Due to the wifes accident I neglected to top off the water and all the plates went dry. Up until that point everything was working perfectly. I was planing on buying a new and larger battery bank anyway, plus some more solar panels. My old battery bank was 8 batterys @ 430 AH each. The new batteries will be 12 @ 1169 AH each. Much more capacity. Our current solar panels are 10 @ 290 watts each. I'm ordering 4 more @ 415 watts each. My goal is to decrease the dependence on the generator. Up until last week the generator ran an annual average of 4 hours per day. My goal is to cut that average down to less than an hour per day average.
These new upgrades will cost around $12,000.
I'm planning on adding a wind generator too, just haven't found one that I like yet.

The failure of our battery bank was mostly my fault. Due to the wifes accident I neglected to top off the water and all the plates went dry. Up until that point everything was working perfectly. I was planing on buying a new and larger battery bank anyway, plus some more solar panels. My old battery bank was 8 batterys @ 430 AH each. The new batteries will be 12 @ 1169 AH each. Much more capacity. Our current solar panels are 10 @ 290 watts each. I'm ordering 4 more @ 415 watts each.

What is the voltage on the individual batteries?

What is the voltage on the individual batteries?
My current battery bank are 6 volt each wired for 24 volts. The new batteries are 2 volt each, and will be wired for 24 volt.
When I tested the old batteries they ranged from 5.3v to 6.1v.

Edit: when I checked the individual cells with a refractometer some cells didn't even make in to the lower range of the scale. Some were 1.05.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back