Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont pretend to be an expert on coyotes, but I have spent over 50 years trapping them and have lived my whole life around them. We had some coyotes just outside our bedroom window this morning.
Coyotes are extremely intelligent critters, and also the hardest to trap next to wolves. I greatly admire the coyote.
We've lost some calves to coyotes every year, but its pretty tough for a coyote to take down a healthy cow. In populated areas most calves and cows are killed by free roaming dogs, yes the family pet, but coyotes get the blame anyway. I enjoy coyotes, in fact i seldom trap coyotes on my own land, and I never trap or shoot a coyote when the fur isn't prime. Around here thats usually October to January when they start rubbing.
Coyotes do far more good than harm eating rodents and such. Its sad that most people will stop and shoot a coyote for no reason. I'm also extremely opposed to the government predator eradication program. The government uses poison, M44's and aircraft with automatic rifles, as well as taxpayer funded trappers. Every animal that I trap gets used, while every animal that the government shoots, poisons or traps are left to rot.

Our oldest son traps coyotes. He has sent me pictures with them piled all over his Polaris. He only traps them in the winter and his trap lines are really long. Like you, he uses their fur and never kills anything that he isn’t going to eat or use in some way.

Our oldest son traps coyotes. He has sent me pictures with them piled all over his Polaris. He only traps them in the winter and his trap lines are really long. Like you, he uses their fur and never kills anything that he isn’t going to eat or use in some way.
I'm going out in the morning to set traps for beaver, mink, coon and muskrat. Once we get some snow on the ground I'll start setting for coyote, and in December for bobcat and ermine.
I normally start trapping in October for coyote, but since we lost Gus earlier this month I kind of lost interest in most things.
I've got a pot of traps boiling for dye right now, should of been done weeks ago.

I'm going out in the morning to set traps for beaver, mink, coon and muskrat. Once we get some snow on the ground I'll start setting for coyote, and in December for bobcat and ermine.
I normally start trapping in October for coyote, but since we lost Gus earlier this month I kind of lost interest in most things.
I've got a pot of traps boiling for dye right now, should of been done weeks ago.

You and my son would be like two peas in a pod! LOL. He never sets traps for coyote until the first snowfall. Do you un scent your traps? My son either removes scent or adds a scent. Can’t remember what he said. Hang in there with missing Gus. It takes time…and another dog/friend to help with the loneliness.

You are human and these are challenging times. Give yourself a pass and move on.
Thanks. I did take a break from building today and split some firewood and helped the wife stack it in the new wood shed. We got about 2 cord split and stacked today. I think we can get about 7 cord if we stack the wood 7 feet high, 8 feet wide and 16 feet long.

You and my son would be like two peas in a pod! LOL. He never sets traps for coyote until the first snowfall. Do you un scent your traps? My son either removes scent or adds a scent. Can’t remember what he said. Hang in there with missing Gus. It takes time…and another dog/friend to help with the loneliness.
First I boil my traps in a custic solution to clean the traps and remove any dirt, rust and oders. Then i boil them again in log wood chips to dye them a dark black. Some i dye white to blend in with the snow. I use lures and baits when I set the trap, which is why I'm trapping beaver and muskrat now. I make some of my own baits and lures. When the grandkids come down we go up to the fur shed and play "name that smell" game. They're about 99% accurate.
Losing Gus has been far harder than I ever thought it would be. Everywhere I go I see his toys or bones. I'm in the fur shed right now and his bed is still next to the wood stove. I can't put it away yet.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did take a break from building today and split some firewood and helped the wife stack it in the new wood shed. We got about 2 cord split and stacked today. I think we can get about 7 cord if we stack the wood 7 feet high, 8 feet wide and 16 feet long.

:oops:o_O That is a lot of wood! Shane (my son) was splitting wood and stacking it today too. They only use around 4 cords a winter. 7 feet high is up there!

:oops:o_O That is a lot of wood! Shane (my son) was splitting wood and stacking it today too. They only use around 4 cords a winter. 7 feet high is up there!
I think I have another two or 3 cord left to split. I keep a couple cord up at the fur shed too. I guess we go through about 7 cord per winter. We start burning the wood stove about mid September, but this year had our first fire in August. From October to April we burn 24/7, then just to take the chill off to around June.

Coyotes do far more good than harm eating rodents and such. Its sad that most people will stop and shoot a coyote for no reason. I'm also extremely opposed to the government predator eradication program. The government uses poison, M44's and aircraft with automatic rifles, as well as taxpayer funded trappers. Every animal that I trap gets used, while every animal that the government shoots, poisons or traps are left to rot.
Coyotes are an invasive species where I hunt. We had plenty of predators before the coyotes moved in. They severely decimated the fox population. I haven't seen a fox in probably twenty years. Bobcats nearly disappeared too when the coyotes moved in, but now they seem to be holding their own. We had red wolves before the coyotes moved in. They say they interbred and now the coyotes are part red wolf.

Coyotes are an invasive species where I hunt. We had plenty of predators before the coyotes moved in. They severely decimated the fox population. I haven't seen a fox in probably twenty years. Bobcats nearly disappeared too when the coyotes moved in, but now they seem to be holding their own. We had red wolves before the coyotes moved in. They say they interbred and now the coyotes are part red wolf.
Fox, Bobcat, and Coyote all compete for the same food source. I probably could dig up pics of all 3 on the same night on my trail cam coming up the driveway. We have to through mountain lions in the mix here too.
They say types of fox can’t coexist. When I was back east, we could get red or grey. Here, I could get grey or kit.

Sorry I’m late. Just got off work. Happy Halloween!!
1635734844978.jpeg

I dont pretend to be an expert on coyotes, but I have spent over 50 years trapping them and have lived my whole life around them. We had some coyotes just outside our bedroom window this morning.
Coyotes are extremely intelligent critters, and also the hardest to trap next to wolves. I greatly admire the coyote.
We've lost some calves to coyotes every year, but its pretty tough for a coyote to take down a healthy cow. In populated areas most calves and cows are killed by free roaming dogs, yes the family pet, but coyotes get the blame anyway. I enjoy coyotes, in fact i seldom trap coyotes on my own land, and I never trap or shoot a coyote when the fur isn't prime. Around here thats usually October to January when they start rubbing.
It's sad that the body of the animal is left to rot after the government does them in, but I'm happy that you're more enlightened.

Still, I wonder if I'm irrationally predisposed to view coyotes through rose-colored glasses because I love dogs so much . . . and I know that coyotes are not dogs, and I realize that they don't have human-friendly instincts.

Latest posts

Back