Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topped off the truck today. Gas was 2.93 it has went up 50 cents a gallon in the last week.

Stopped by Walmart today and they had canning lids but are rationing them. You can buy 2 boxes per day. They did not have that many!

Been searching online for canning lids. I found some Ball wide mouth but no regular. Even went to the bulk sites. Nope. I did find funky brands with 1 and 2 star reviews. No thanks. If I go to that much trouble, I want my jars to stay sealed.

I bought a hundred new rubber seals for my mason jars to take to Hungary since they are not hardly used here. They take the used jars of honey, jam, pickles or beets and such, can into them use a special plastic foil and replace the original lid. All is clean and good, stays sealed and lasts also for years. Different from what I am used to but functional.

Been searching online for canning lids. I found some Ball wide mouth but no regular. Even went to the bulk sites. Nope. I did find funky brands with 1 and 2 star reviews. No thanks. If I go to that much trouble, I want my jars to stay sealed.

keep an order in at Fillmore - they are more bulk order - right now they have wide mouth "gold" if bought in bulk >>>>> Wholesale Canning Lids: 2-Piece Lids | Fillmore Container

no luck buying thru the large chain box stores? -

keep an order in at Fillmore - they are more bulk order - right now they have wide mouth "gold" if bought in bulk >>>>> Wholesale Canning Lids: 2-Piece Lids | Fillmore Container

no luck buying thru the large chain box stores? -

I found wide mouth at Wal-Mart but no regular. I could onlyborder 3 dozen. I like regular better for tomatoes. I tried big box stores ans bulk sites. All out of stock. Except for the never heard of 1 or 2 star rated Chinese name brands.

Be careful of some of the ones on places like ebay and Amazon as I have read some horror stories and many of those are cheap chinese knockoffs in fake Ball boxes.

I am starting to see some jars back on the shelves. Was in Ace Hardware the other day and they are getting jars with lids regularly now but very few boxes of lids alone. At Walmart if you are not there when they put them on the shelf then you will not get them. I have not seen any lids at Dollar General.

I have some reusable lids and still have some regular lids in my preps but have been using both sparingly. I am freezing and dehydrating more and canning less to conserve lids. Last I looked the reusable lids had a six week backlog on orders. I have no idea if we will see lids for another year.

Be careful of some of the ones on places like ebay and Amazon as I have read some horror stories and many of those are cheap chinese knockoffs in fake Ball boxes.

I am starting to see some jars back on the shelves. Was in Ace Hardware the other day and they are getting jars with lids regularly now but very few boxes of lids alone. At Walmart if you are not there when they put them on the shelf then you will not get them. I have not seen any lids at Dollar General.

I got the Ball wide mouth and will look at TSC and Dollar General. I have had good luck with Golden Harvest and Mainstay. Some of the cheap lids I couldn't even pronounce the names so I passed

I have some reusable lids and still have some regular lids in my preps but have been using both sparingly. I am freezing and dehydrating more and canning less to conserve lids. Last I looked the reusable lids had a six week backlog on orders. I have no idea if we will see lids for another year.

My acquaintance owns the local ACE Hardware and she just saud they cant even reorder and has no idea when she can.

I started doing inventory. I save My used lids to use on pickles and kraut so I'm good there. I have reused lids that are in really good shape and I have quite a few of those. Its scary to use them though. ACE has one box of regular lids and are saving for me.

My acquaintance owns the local ACE Hardware and she just saud they cant even reorder and has no idea when she can.

I started doing inventory. I save My used lids to use on pickles and kraut so I'm good there. I have reused lids that are in really good shape and I have quite a few of those. Its scary to use them though. ACE has one box of regular lids and are saving for me.

A lot of people are buying new jars for the lids. I refuse to do that. I will use what I have because I have so many jars already. I also save my old lids if in good shape just not for canning but for kraut and stuff. I will can with my reusable and what I have. I have 2 large freezers and will freeze some. I can also dehydrate and ferment so it will have to do. Along with my existing preps I should be fine. Had a bumper crop last year. I will preserve what I can this year and hope that maybe later in the season they will restock lids. I do not think so though.

Just read where several eastern Oregon counties voted to secede and join Idaho to get away from the commie/socilist voters in the Portland/Eugene area. The vast majority of counties in the US are very Red. I think its time to seriously start talking about Secession. With the new demographics in the US we will never have another president like Trump again. Secession is really the only answer, split the US in to 2 or 3 independent countries.

Our local ag center closed down, supposedly due to places like home depot and L&M competing for the seed and feed market. Well, those stores don't carry peat moss, 46-0-0, 34-0-0, coco coir, vermiculite, lime, sulfur, tricalcium phosphate, permethrin concentrate or any of the stuff one might want to buy in bulk. Now, if one wants to fertilize a yard, your only bulk option is 32lb bags of milorganite (6%N with 4% of that slow release ~ my piss has more nitrogen). Its been closed for over two weeks, yet, when I stopped in today to find the door locked, there were 3 other people doing the same.

Latest posts

Back