Access & Distance to Bug Out Location?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, as I live in Helsinki we have 2 army bases nearby,one for the navy and one for the army and I'm there in the middle,
and this place is built on a peninsula,it's nice when sun shines and you have sea around you but if something would happen it could be a tricky thing to get out of here,you'll have to remember that our highways don't have the capacity or width like the us-highways,so unless you get a really early warning a motorbike or bike could be your best option to leave...and I would have to know that my brother and oldest son are ok before I would skip town

First and foremost I intend to bug in but as a last resort that a situation would force me to move out, it would take me roughly 4 days to get to my primary location by horseback by vehicle 3.5hrs depending on weather, I have interconnecting logging roads most of it overgrown but passable by horse and vehicle, a lot of it heavy canvas should offer some seclusion from the sky in certain areas on the way to my location.

first of all.i had backed the van out of the garage,in which i got my camping stuff out,so i can pitch my tent to air out.and to make sure its still water proof.it is..i was sitting out there with the van directly in front of me,and i suddenly thought..what if we had to bug out rather quiekly?then it dawned on me..the van we have,aint set up for every thing we'll be takeing..and the reason for that.is my mom has 2 scooters..and 1 alone takes up vaulable space.even the smallest one does so..and that means i HAVE to get a trailer of some sort.or she goes without the scooter.i've already been thinking along the line of a u-haul trailer that has the storage spot of front for matress and springs to a bed..they look some what like a over head camper for a pick-up on wheels...this i can have a cargo trailer for hauling whats needed when bugging our.but there'll be a place to sleep as well..

You can usually pick up a used 8' (uncovered) trailer for around $400 if you look hard enough. Add a tarp and some bungees, and good to go.

i've been looking at pop-up campers since that last post of mine..and i seen some for under $10.000...so if i got one of them.then i be good to go.and the first thing is set up and loaded up that needs to set up and loaded up..like all my camping gear.id also make sure the propane tanks are filled as well.and when bug out time comes. id back the van up the garage and load up the bigger scooter into the van.and dismantle the small one and put it into the camper..its in 4 parts when broken down.then finish loading the van.hook up to the camper.and finish loading it...

i've been looking at pop-up campers since that last post of mine..and i seen some for under $10.000...so if i got one of them.then i be good to go.and the first thing is set up and loaded up that needs to set up and loaded up..like all my camping gear.id also make sure the propane tanks are filled as well.and when bug out time comes. id back the van up the garage and load up the bigger scooter into the van.and dismantle the small one and put it into the camper..its in 4 parts when broken down.then finish loading the van.hook up to the camper.and finish loading it...
I've been looking at used RVs and you could probably pick up a used pop up pretty cheap. Just for the fun of it, I hit Craigslist Dallas, TX and found them for anywhere from $250 up to $6800. My truck isn't strong enough to pull anything so for myself I've been looking at motorhomes. Only because my son-in-law is a mechanic, I've been finding them as cheap as $5000. With him to fix any engine problems and using my savings to remodel the interior, I could have exactly what I want in a "tiny home" that I could drive.

only reason i've been looking into campers.is,comfort for my mom.and it'd be easy enough for her to get in and out of the camper.pluse it'd carry a large percentage of the stuff.and only items that would be in the van.is whats needed if we had to abanden the camper and its contents..

it's a valid option to change the motor, if everything else works that idea of JimLe could save you money

can you or your son get hands onto a 6 cylinder motor?
I may not have a choice soon about changing out the engine in this truck. Things are starting to go wrong with it and with a son-in-law who is a mechanic, it would be less expensive to change the motor than go buy another truck and start over with someone else's problems.

exactly.some times it's a better idea to get a motor from a salvage yard.then rebuild it.only draw back on that idea.you might have to replace the transmission.on account im not sure if a 6 cylinder motor will butt up to that transmission or not.so you might talk with son in law about all that..

Latest posts

Back