Bug Out Sea Farm

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhian L'Arson

Reaction score
The oceans are an enormous base of survival resources for those who know how to harness them. Captain Bill Simpson got the highest score ever on DoomsDay Preppers building a bug out boat to retreat out to sea when disaster strikes. Captain Bill is right. Escaping on a boat is the best way to keep your family safe after the coming collapse of society.

You can't survive long-term off the grid on remote uninhabited desert islands by relying only on spearfishing for your food. A variety of food production systems are needed to produce all the food and water you need at sea. Sprouts and spirulina supplents can be grown for maximum nutrition with minimum space while a solar still and rain catchment can harvest freshwater.

A new floating food production device has been designed for use at sea. The simple device called SeaOasis is made to produce crops with limited access to land. It grows fish, algae, and plants in seawater. The floating unit combines algae photobioreactors with a fish growing tank. The algae and shellfish remove waste from water which is then mixed with compost and wastewater to produce liquid fertilizer for Hydroponics. Salt-tolerant crops like Nipa (Distichlis palmeri) and Porteresia can be grown as food or for livestock feed.

A circular floating rim made from recycled tractor tire inner tubes and an ETFE base layer separate the system from the surrounding seawater. The rim allows for attaching oysters, hydroponic beds or algae reactors. Total cost is estimated between 21,000 and 26,000 USD per unit.

The next step is experimental trials to test the feasibility of the device in a variety of offshore locations around the world.

Interesting stuff. I never could understand why more preppers don't look towards the ocean for more of their food resources after SHTF. If I lived closer to the ocean during a major SHTF event, I'd move to the water. The wife and I are making a trip to the coast next week to look for a possible second home site.

Latest posts

Back