Our bug out location on the lease.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Of course this all depends on the owner of the property but he's kinda a prepper himself and told us we were welcome.
His reasoning,with 6k acres there's plenty of room and we need enough guns to hold the place.
There's plenty of game,fish and water to go around.

The artesian well at the front of the property,it's about a half mile in after you enter the property.
It's never run dry in the ten years I've been coming to the property and from what I've been told by the old timers it never has.
There are several more springs on the property but this one is the best.
EA92EB4E-D856-4282-8B93-38B13CF70DEB_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the results from a two hour fishing trip.
Not always this good but we've never been skunked.

F483EBA5-7E34-4845-82E1-B01730C61829.jpeg

Our fish camp.
This is the view from camp. It sits about three miles inside the property.

787E5F57-D9FD-4AD7-A04A-2E27C6C5A2E3.jpeg

Lots of gators in the main lake,big and small like this one.
You dont see the big ones during the day,they're to crafty.
ECD31D8E-DEFC-450C-91C9-9530634526D3.jpeg

The camper that sits on our spot.
1A44F883-EF22-4815-89D3-C210C13C6D5A.jpeg

79F3898B-8A02-447D-B052-6E7B2C16C0BC.jpeg

I sure hope that it's still available if things go south.
It's an unbeatable bug out location.

Hopefully he is amenable to the camper being left there. I have done enough wildfire Evacs to know what it’s like pulling a trailer through a mess.
Hopefully he doesn’t mind a shed or two being put on the property. It would be much better to have some stores already there.
But he’s kinda a prepper too. He shouldn’t mind.

Hopefully he is amenable to the camper being left there. I have done enough wildfire Evacs to know what it’s like pulling a trailer through a mess.
Hopefully he doesn’t mind a shed or two being put on the property. It would be much better to have some stores already there.
But he’s kinda a prepper too. He shouldn’t mind.

There's plenty of campers on the property,including his own.
As far as wildfires go they're extremely rare in this part of Texas.
It's far too wet for those to be an issue.
This "shed" belongs to a good friend of mine on the same peninsula.
A00A1AB9-9146-45B7-848E-5A888C97DDFF.jpeg

There's plenty of campers on the property,including his own.
As far as wildfires go they're extremely rare in this part of Texas.
It's far too wet for those to be an issue.
This "shed" belongs to a good friend of mine on the same peninsula.
View attachment 15568
The flora looks very familiar there.

I have plans for a rodent proof shed that I am planning for a Evac building, secondary storage. and a nice place to watch the sunset. Basically how to rodent proof and insulate a commercial shed. Adds a couple hundred to that price.
Your friends shed looks a little rodent friendly

I have plans for a rodent proof shed that I am planning for a Evac building, secondary storage. and a nice place to watch the sunset. Basically how to rodent proof and insulate a commercial shed. Adds a couple hundred to that price.
Your friends shed looks a little rodent friendly

Yeah he does have a few mice that live there.
But then again he isnt there every day.
He has a 5 gallon bucket trap that catches a lot of em though.
Before I got my place I slept there many times,if you look close you can see the stove pipe for the wood fired stove on the left side.
It can get in the 20's and you're still warm as toast.

I have slept in worse also. Noted the AC unit too. Nothing says we have nothing here like an AC unit. 😜😜😜 I know he has a Gen, probably something to cook on and supplies.
A little wire mesh, plastic, and spray foam and I can make a rodent proof shed/livingquarter/storage that can be winched on a flatbed, moved and probably safer than that house you can’t defend. It may end up looking nice, but fortified and nothing with telltale signs like that shed.

I have slept in worse also. Noted the AC unit too. Nothing says we have nothing here like an AC unit. 😜😜😜 I know he has a Gen, probably something to cook on and supplies.
A little wire mesh, plastic, and spray foam and I can make a rodent proof shed/livingquarter/storage that can be winched on a flatbed, moved and probably safer than that house you can’t defend. It may end up looking nice, but fortified and nothing with telltale signs like that shed.

Yeah...
The guy that has the place is a full on Redneck. He don't give a crap about the mice as long as they dont take up too much space.
His father passed it down to him when his fathers wife died.
Getting on this place is very difficult to do. It took me over 8 years to get a spot.
Once you're there you're set.
We just got our yearly bill a couple of days ago..... it was $1100 bucks.
Once you get a spot you dont give it up.

The only thing I don;t like about it is that you can't really pick your community. You buy in and hope the rest of the people are good to go. Other than that, what a place!

I know everyone on the lease.
Theres only a couple of dozen people on 6k acres so there's plenty of room for all of us.
Like I said earlier,it's tough to get on this lease because the owner only lets people on that he knows are good people.
Which is why it took me 8 years to get a spot.
He met me several times when I was a guest of a buddy of mine and he finally let me sign up.

The only thing I don;t like about it is that you can't really pick your community. You buy in and hope the rest of the people are good to go. Other than that, what a place!

To expand on what Helen Black rightly pointed out….A big staple in prepping is OPSEC (Operational Security). There is a lot involved in but, one aspect is the more people who know what you have, and where you have it, the less secure you will be. You mentioned that you first came in contact with this lease as a “guest”. You also mentioned that there are a couple of dozen people who are also on the lease.

Who have they brought as a “guest” through the years? Are all of them also good people? Who have they then told about the location of the property in casual conversation? How many of those have thought to themselves, “Good to know where to bring me and my family if the balloon ever goes up”.

Another aspect of it is how many of those people are thinking as you are, that this will be a good place to bring extended family and friends in case of chaos? Or, maybe, unknown to you or the owner, actually have their own prepping group that they are quietly planning to bring to the site once chaos breaks out.

It could end up looking like a refugee camp.

My personal concern in your situation, would be that instead of a few good people, you could end up with a few hundred who might not necessarily be so good or share your values, which would lead to internal conflicts.

The other question I would have is if/when TSHTF, what will be the situation? Will it be the expectation that things become communal…in other words, are your preps (food, ammo firearms etc) to remain yours or will everything be thrown into the communal pot…for “the common good” of course. What if the owner puts his foot down and says "this is my place and I say if you want to stay, your stuff gets put in the communal use pile"? So now instead of the year's worth of food you have saved up, you only have two months because you are helping to feed Ed Walker, his wife and three kids and several other families who got out with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

I am not saying this to burst your bubble or be a contrarian, I am bringing this up to get you mentally prepared for possible eventualities.

You mentioned on another post you are relatively new to prepping. It is a process. Prepping isn’t just about stuff, it requires you to think within the context of a world with rules that are the antithesis of the familiar world we now live in.

You are well on your way with this place and I congratulate you on your sucess! Just keep in mind though that you have many unknowns and will have to work through a plan for all of them.

Last edited:
To expand on what Helen Black rightly pointed out….A big staple in prepping is OPSEC (Operational Security). There is a lot involved in but, one aspect is the more people who know what you have, and where you have it, the less secure you will be. You mentioned that you first came in contact with this lease as a “guest”. You also mentioned that there are a couple of dozen people who are also on the lease.

Who have they brought as a “guest” through the years? Are all of them also good people? Who have they then told about the location of the property in casual conversation? How many of those have thought to themselves, “Good to know where to bring me and my family if the balloon ever goes up”.

Another aspect of it is how many of those people are thinking as you are, that this will be a good place to bring extended family and friends in case of chaos? Or, maybe, unknown to you or the owner, actually have their own prepping group that they are quietly planning to bring to the site once chaos breaks out.

It could end up looking like a refugee camp.

My personal concern in your situation, would be that instead of a few good people, you could end up with a few hundred who might not necessarily be so good or share your values, which would lead to internal conflicts.

The other question I would have is if/when TSHTF, what will be the situation? Will it be the expectation that things become communal…in other words, are your preps (food, ammo firearms etc) to remain yours or will everything be thrown into the communal pot…for “the common good” of course. What if the owner puts his foot down and says "this is my place and I say if you want to stay, your stuff gets put in the communal use pile"? So now instead of the year's worth of food you have saved up, you only have two months because you are helping to feed Ed Walker, his wife and three kids and several other families who got out with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

I am not saying this to burst your bubble or be a contrarian, I am bringing this up to get you mentally prepared for possible eventualities.

You mentioned on another post you are relatively new to prepping. It is a process. Prepping isn’t just about stuff, it requires you to think within the context of a world with rules that are the antithesis of the familiar world we now live in.

You are well on your way with this place and I congratulate you on your sucess! Just keep in mind though that you have many unknowns and will have to work through a plan for all of them.

All good points but ya have to trust some people or it'll be tough to defend the place.
Where I'm located there are five camps all of which are friends.
The plus side is we're on a peninsula thats covered by deep water on three sides,the entrance to the peninsula is only around 100 feet wide which would make it far easier to defend.
There's really no one you can truly trust other than family and very close friends.
And another plus is all of these people know how to hunt,fish and trap and they know the plant life that is edible.
But yeah,if things go really bad things could easily get bad as well.
The whole food thing would definitely be the biggest issue since we've only prepped for two people and two dogs.
Being able to add fish and game would make that prep food go much longer.

Latest posts

Back