Your Food Storage Equation...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two basements, and different items are kept in each, and they do not join. Makes putting away things tricky.
I can see where it could be tricky and lots of climbing of stairs. . . Oh, dang! This is on the other side. . . With that said, I am totally jealous!! I can't even have 1 in my area.

Maybe this? Much less labor intensive and I have the clay to make my own bricks at BOL2, I might just give this a try and see what happens!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am really liking this idea, especially in an area like mine with the hot temps, high humidity and a high water tablet. This would make a good backup, maybe? Think it is worth a try. For us we started out with the house generator, but have started with the solar. . . late last year. And we are still waiting for parts to get in 6 months later. Hoping to get the solar up and running soon!!

I am really liking this idea, especially in an area like mine with the hot temps, high humidity and a high water tablet. This would make a good backup, maybe? Think it is worth a try. For us we started out with the house generator, but have started with the solar. . . late last year. And we are still waiting for parts to get in 6 months later. Hoping to get the solar up and running soon!!

All of the first three vids I saw were from farmers in Africa. They were using it as a means to cool down and crisp produce before taking it to market the next day. I wonder how long it would keep?

The humidity we have was one of the things that made me not sure since it works on the pot-in-pot theory of evaporative cooling. When your air is already saturated, will it work?

It isn't too labor intensive and I wanted to see if I can use the red clay to make adobe bricks for other things. Might just be a fun little science project to do with the school age grand kids and teach them something useful in the process!

Maybe this? Much less labor intensive and I have the clay to make my own bricks at BOL2, I might just give this a try and see what happens!
Stating the obvious here, but any type of evaporative cooler uses evaporation.
In dry climates they work well, but in humid climates they just grow a lot of mold and mildew.

Stating the obvious here, but any type of evaporative cooler uses evaporation.
In dry climates they work well, but in humid climates they just grow a lot of mold and mildew.

That is what I was thinking. Our air gets dryer after hurricane season so maybe a good time in the fall and winter for collard greens, carrots and other fall/winter harvests?

All of the first three vids I saw were from farmers in Africa. They were using it as a means to cool down and crisp produce before taking it to market the next day. I wonder how long it would keep?

The humidity we have was one of the things that made me not sure since it works on the pot-in-pot theory of evaporative cooling. When your air is already saturated, will it work?

It isn't too labor intensive and I wanted to see if I can use the red clay to make adobe bricks for other things. Might just be a fun little science project to do with the school age grand kids and teach them something useful in the process!

Yep...
It's like trying to use a swamp cooler in south Texas.
They dont work because the air is already saturated with moisture.
When used in say the desert South West they make a huge difference.

We have two basements, and different items are kept in each, and they do not join. Makes putting away things tricky.

My Father in law built his house on the slab of a school that had burned down.
It had a locker room that was underground so he had a ready made basement to work with,a very rare thing in Texas.
It was always a good 15 degrees cooler than the ambient temp.

Interesting. How are they suggesting you use a watermelon powder? My first thought is add to smoothies. That may be yummy.
Dani, I have been thinking about this and the watermelon jerky has such a high sugar content, it is more of a chewy, gooey, jerky.

Don't know if it will powder very easily, but it does sound great in smoothies or even water.

Watermelon wine, dandelion wine....those were the days...
Don't forget to put some Jack Daniels or Jim Beam in your beef jerky people. The alcohol is gone but the flavor and aroma comes thru.

There are simple solar systems in-the-box and small wind mills you can install yourself for off grid in e-bay. Take a look at what is up for sale. Also get a few used solar panels (photovoltaic is best) and simple parts in e-bay also. Watch a few videos to the "how-to" and try it. It worked for me and I only have one large battery to run the fridge for one hour each day and it stays frozen with extry insulation surrounding the stand-up freezer for 36 hours...I can also run all my small electric tools, drill, circular saw, mobil phone and laptops charging, spare batteries for lights and such all run off a single panel and battery with a small inverter.
One of the early times I got drunk it was Boone's Farm strawberry wine and eating tacos. I couldn't stomach either for years afterward.

Dani, I have been thinking about this and the watermelon jerky has such a high sugar content, it is more of a chewy, gooey, jerky.

Don't know if it will powder very easily, but it does sound great in smoothies or even water.
I know if it was freeze dried it would powder up very easily, but you may be right on dehydrated jerky? That would have to be a very powerful blender. Maybe start out with a food processor and then blend for a powder? Or if making a watermelon fruit roll up may actually powder easier, but once agin it is still a very sweet, sticky roll. I used wax paper it roll when I did it that way.

Going to add I would think after the first attempts to powder, you may want to rehydrate to run thru again? Just a thought.

I know if it was freeze dried it would powder up very easily, but you may be right on dehydrated jerky? That would have to be a very powerful blender. Maybe start out with a food processor and then blend for a powder? Or if making a watermelon fruit roll up may actually powder easier, but once agin it is still a very sweet, sticky roll. I used wax paper it roll when I did it that way.

Going to add I would think after the first attempts to powder, you may want to rehydrate to run thru again? Just a thought.

You can blend Jerky in a spice grinder like this type...
1654902618455.png

We used to add ground jerky to hamburger meat,it makes for a great hamburger!!!

I just like eating it like candy. Leon loves it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw your post, @Amish Heart. Isn't it against the law in Kansas NOT to have a basement or storm cellar? LOL I remember all the houses around us in Leavenworth had them. Our quarters on post there had huge basements. :)

Latest posts

Back