Storing Wheat in co2

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMPRN1

Reaction score
I'm not a Mormon but I buy a lot of food for long time storage at the local LDS Home Storage Center. I already have plenty of their #10 cans of flour, wheat and everything else the sell but I "panic bought" (lol) 50 lbs of bagged wheat when Russia invaded Ukraine in case it led to shortages.

The nice folks at the HSC suggested I store it in 5 gallon buckets using dry ice to purge all the o2 out of the bucket. So after leaving the wheat sitting in my garage for months I finally got around to sealing it up. I've got butt loads of beans and rice sealed the traditional prepper way with Mylar bags and o2 absorbers but I wanted to give this method a try.

25lbs of red wheat and 25lbs of white wheat
20230209_152718_resized.jpg

Gamma lids would have been nice but they cost more than the wheat did. I just found some lids with good rubber seals, ...regular lids aren't airtight so they they won't work.
20230209_153541_resized.jpg

I used about this much dry ice in each bag. I know now that it was way more dry ice than necessary but better to use too much than too little. I'll just have to wait a little longer for it to melt.
20230209_153947_resized.jpg

I folded the bag over and put a little piece of dry ice on top to "pre-purge" the o2 out of the space around the bag. It's needless overkill but I had more dry ice than I needed anyway.
I pounded the lids on about 3/4 of the way to let the o2 and excess co2 vent. I can feel the co2 escaping, when that stops I'll seal them the rest of the way.
20230209_153515_resized.jpg

It's good to have a bucket opener in case you have to open the bucket when your sick or injured (this kind of lid can be a real hassle to open)
20230209_154317_resized.jpg

I set aside a handful from each bag. I'll try sprouting it this spring just for fun.
20230209_154629_resized.jpg

Interesting. Is there a benefit to doing this over oxygen absorbers or is it just an alternative?

Dry ice kind of scares me. I was around some as a kid and I got reamed out by an intoxicated adult for getting too close to it, so that has always stuck with me.

Latest posts

Back