Your Food Storage Equation...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Reaction score
I don't think it's against the law. I've seen plenty of places without basements. We are very rural, and whole houses are often moved onto land.
I was just joking. :) It is tornado alley after all. We went through a horrific tornado there (baseball-size hail) that ripped the roof completely off of the post elementary school and uprooted 5' diameter oak trees embedded in sidewalks downtown.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Was watching a video on sun dehydrating. I have a glass storm door with 4 or 5 old screens with rips from the cats. I remember my dad stringing green beans and putting under a glass window on our back porch.

We need to prep for food preservation without electricity.

This can also be used as a cold frame if I cover air holes.

Last edited:

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Anything left in the sun here is subject to desiccation. Wood, tires, plastic, fabric...road kill. Things just mummify or break down. Haven't had to shovel manure in ages. It just dries up into a powder within 24 hours then just add it to the compost pile or let it compost in place.

You can cook food if you leave it on your vehicle dashboard. No "solar oven" need be built.

GeorgiaPeachie

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Was watching a video on sun dehydrating. I have a glass storm door with 4 or 5 old screens with rips from the cats. I remember my dad stringing green beans and putting under a glass window on our back porch.

This can also be used as a cold frame if I cover air holes.

I use these to dry herbs. Will be testing out vegetables with this in direct sunlight for the heat soon.

1659363773368.jpeg

Arcticdude

Top Poster
Reaction score
I use these to dry herbs. Will be testing out vegetables with this in direct sunlight for the heat soon.

View attachment 16986
My wife uses one of these things for drying herbs and vegetables. She dries a lot of vegetables that I dont like, then grinds them and put it my food while cooking.

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
If you have the typical BLACK grill in the form of a big ball or a 55 gallon drum cut in half, you can dry your stuff and even make beef jerky in it. The black absorbs the heat well and you get your 140°F /65-70°C needed to dehydrate inside the grill without any wood, fire, electricity or energy needed....

Reaction score
If you have the typical BLACK grill in the form of a big ball or a 55 gallon drum cut in half, you can dry your stuff and even make beef jerky in it. The black absorbs the heat well and you get your 140°F /65-70°C needed to dehydrate inside the grill without any wood, fire, electricity or energy needed....

Dont forget airflow.
Thats half of the equation.

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Thanks TP, open the ash vent down below and let the moisture escape through the top vent or crack the lid a bit. Forgot the moisture loss step. Been a long day here.

Arcticdude

Top Poster
Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to make jerky in the sun. I'd take a large tray, lay out the seasoned meat, or fish and cover with a window screen. To keep the dogs away from it I'd put the tray on top of the hay truck.
A lot of stuff can be cooked or preserved without electric.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor stopped by and he said he had some cedar that I can use and that he would pick up the other I would need.

He wanted to build it for me, but I asked if we could build it together so that I can learn how in case I need to build another.

He is a very nice guy and said he would be happy to teach me.

Arcticdude

Top Poster
Reaction score
My neighbor stopped by and he said he had some cedar that I can use and that he would pick up the other I would need.

He wanted to build it for me, but I asked if we could build it together so that I can learn how in case I need to build another.

He is a very nice guy and said he would be happy to teach me.
What are you building Robin?

Reaction score

View attachment 16986
Those are very nice! I've always just dried my herbs in a large baking pan out in the sun. They are usually ready to crush by hand at the end of the day (in summer). Of course, it can't be a windy day. ;) In winter, the pan has to come in at night and go back outside another day. Sometimes, if it's a rainy spell, I just set the pan on the kitchen counter and they are dried nicely in open air in 4-5 days with no sun or oven/dehydrator action.

Latest posts