Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the HEIGHT above the stove you can get stainless water tanks that wrap around the chimney pipe and trap the heat going up the chimney, they have little faucets on them for getting free hot water. like this example below

portable-woodburning-stove-water-heater-p37-9256_image.jpg

Good evening Robinjopo, have you looked into the possibility of building a rocket stove? They store heat for days if built properly. They use 1/3 of the wood needed for the same amount of heating and can also be incorporated with a hotwater coil for bathing or just coffee/tea.

Don't install anything until you check with your homeowners insurance. Installing a wood stove will raise your homeowners insurance quite a bit, while installing an iron insert into an existing fireplace will usually not raise your insurance. Depends on who you insure with. If you decide to install a free standing wood stove and not tell your insurance company, and your house burns down, your home will not be covered if they blame the fire on the wood stove. I wanted a free standing stove, and the increase in premium was more than my heat bills in January and February. One phone call and you'll know for sure.

Don't install anything until you check with your homeowners insurance. Installing a wood stove will raise your homeowners insurance quite a bit, while installing an iron insert into an existing fireplace will usually not raise your insurance. Depends on who you insure with. If you decide to install a free standing wood stove and not tell your insurance company, and your house burns down, your home will not be covered if they blame the fire on the wood stove. I wanted a free standing stove, and the increase in premium was more than my heat bills in January and February. One phone call and you'll know for sure.

Thank you

We have a Kuna wood stove for the house. It has a flat surface for cooking. Just be aware that if you buy a new EPA stove that they may have a baffle inside that prevents the fire from reaching directly to the stove top. These baffles are easy to remove and will making cooking on the stove top better. Even your husband can remove them.

We have a Kuna wood stove for the house. It has a flat surface for cooking. Just be aware that if you buy a new EPA stove that they may have a baffle inside that prevents the fire from reaching directly to the stove top. These baffles are easy to remove and will making cooking on the stove top better. Even your husband can remove them.

You're reaching AD. He helped with a box springs that weighed about 15 lbs and complained after son and had had move crap all day. Antique furniture is heavy. Imagine...... Real wood.

If you have the HEIGHT above the stove you can get stainless water tanks that wrap around the chimney pipe and trap the heat going up the chimney, they have little faucets on them for getting free hot water. like this example below

portable-woodburning-stove-water-heater-p37-9256_image.jpg
I had a stove similar to this when I was horse packing in the mountains on my trap line years ago. It was nice for using in a tent.

Please Please Please Please Please Please promise me you WILL have it properly swept one a year to stop chimney fires and creoste build up PLEASE.
I have to brush my chimney every 6-8 weeks during winter. Easy to do. Also most people around here remove their chimney Cap, which cuts down on the need to clean the chimney as often.

Why do you need a wood stove?

To keep the house warm, I just let my wife walk around room-to-room. I get a chill? Just hold my hands near her. Cooking? Put the pot on her lap for a while. And microwave popcorn? Just put it under her arm for 2 minutes. Ding. Done.

Oh am I in trouble if she ever reads this.

The Winter in Tennessee are usually so mild, we dont need fires very often. Before we converted the wood fireplace to gas, we had a max of 4 fires per year.
I promised to do proper maintenance.
We start heating with wood by the last week of September. Usually just in the morning and evening for a couple of weeks, then we run the wood stove 24/7 until around the last week of April. There's nothing better than heating with wood. The only drawback with heating only with wood is that you can't leave for more than a few hours during winter.

Latest posts

Back