Wilderness Survival Situations are Real and Fast

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Man

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

The 3rd place in the world to be posted online.

When people are in a wilderness survival situation. It becomes real and fast sometimes. Most people do not know, or realize, that when you can not get a good nights sleep, you are in a real wilderness survival situation, and right away. Lack or sleep (exhaustion) makes everything harder to do, and right away. People generally have, if they are prepared, guns, knifes and an axe, with them, etc. These things can hurt you, and fast, if not properly used. Just tripping over something, and hurting your ankle, can get you in a lot of trouble. Hurting a eye too of course. Tree branch.

Same with lack of water. Quickly, in the real world, it will become, all consuming to you. Getting water. In both these cases, problems will start to pile up, and things get worst and worst.

Exhaustion, also makes it easy to loose your possessions. You need to be able to lanyard everything to yourself, and be able to make your tools highly visible. Wrapped in bright tape for example. Like you knife, axe, and firearms, and everything else (compasses), etc. The tree or pole you have your stuff hanging off of too, needs to be easy to see, from far away. Streamers that are highly visible (orange garbage bags). Position marked on map, and in GPS too.

People do not realize, you are also now, on the menu. You will most likely be alone, and after a while, not smell to good. Predators have instinct to rely upon. Your cats and dogs, spend lots of time grooming themselves, as to help, stay healthy. To a predator, you have been abandoned by the heard, and appear to be so sick, as to not be grooming yourself, to stay healthy, and not smell. So you are now fair game to that predator. Sick and easy pickings, as far as it is concerned.

I was out doors for several days once, and not very clean, after awhile. I was sleeping outside one time. I woke up to, what I call a land shark, attacking my foot. If that little animal, had gone after my throat, instead, I would not be here, I would be dead. Still inside town limits. It was a common fox. I have come to realize, that all solitary predators, are super brutal. They have to be, in order to survive. They kill bears, as far as I am concerned. A torn off toe in the wildness, is no joke. That is a serious wound to receive and get infected.

I had my shoes still on. It was thrashing back and forth, like a great white shark, trying to tear off one of my toes. I could feel it's needle sharp teeth through my tough shoes. It was biting straight on and to the side. Going after a toe, my big toe.

People who have lost or missing children or other loved ones, need to realize, it was not for sure, a farm raised fox, that attacked there child or other missing loved one. When you see a fox, and it lunges at you, like it wants to attack you. Well, that's a bad fox. Remember, the wilderness has wild animals, and they are dangerous and hungry. Especially, with people eating prey animal plants, around towns, and cities. Less prey animals.

Support your local trapper(s). A trapper that catches all the local foxes, is doing a excellent job. Don't let the local government get ride of his job. He has your children's safety foremost in his mind. It appears, there is no more foxes, for example. There is no such thing, as a vacuum, in nature. Get ride of his job, and the predator will reappear. Should we get ride of law enforcement, if crimes almost disappear?

I pity people who get lost in the jungle. With giant spiders and centipedes. Super predators, that come after you when they think it safe to. Well, wilderness survival experts, in the jungle, talk about having to keep a fire going, and staying awake all night, keeping the bugs and such away.

It's all the same in the end I guess.

Just the truth. Nature is beautiful, and wonderful, and dangerous. If not treated with respect, awe, and wonder.

:>)

Fox...really,oh when do we stop treating every furry critter as an enemy?

oh,by the way,part of your preps should include a bar of soap,so you can wash your self,keep the germs away,even in a bad spot you should not smell shit.
health is being clean!

I don't fear much from the animals and the wilderness, being around humans is an different story. Unfamiliarity is the common denominator in most wilderness mishaps, we have an o'l saying here in the back country 'cotton kills' and that's the biggest survival issue we have here, wrong clothes!
What, you don't like cold and wet! I love jeans, but your right, they aren't great for being out in the elements. Once I went skiing and wore jeans all day. Was wet and about froze to death all day. Lesson learned.

What, you don't like cold and wet! I love jeans, but your right, they aren't great for being out in the elements. Once I went skiing and wore jeans all day. Was wet and about froze to death all day. Lesson learned.

No doubt denim are comfortable but sure loves soaking up the spent sweat and elemental moisture, it's wool on wool with me or anybody that chooses to trek out in the back country with me... better be in wool. I've hear some synthetic fabrics are just as good as wool but I'll stick with what I know and trust.

No doubt denim are comfortable but sure loves soaking up the spent sweat and elemental moisture, it's wool on wool with me or anybody that chooses to trek out in the back country with me... better be in wool. I've hear some synthetic fabrics are just as good as wool but I'll stick with what I know and trust.
I honestly don't think I have any wool clothing. I do remember a wool blanket from boot camp that was a pretty itchy bugger though! I guess I've become pretty soft over the years now. My version of back country has become a half day hike along a nice creek now days.

I honestly don't think I have any wool clothing. I do remember a wool blanket from boot camp that was a pretty itchy bugger though! I guess I've become pretty soft over the years now. My version of back country has become a half day hike along a nice creek now days.

Lisa uses and loves merino wool because it doesn't itch, the wool I use bothers her :(

Even day hikes turn bad here, this is a warning on the USFS door here in these parts (below), a lot of trails zigzag between Western and Eastern slopes though many trails start off on the eastern sides in the flats where it's warmer giving the wrong impression.

"The difference between west and east mountain slopes is so great that the western slopes receive an average of 76 more inches of precipitation and 407 more inches of snowfall annually. No matter what time of year, visitors entering the Cascades should remember that mountain weather is unpredictable and prone to sudden changes. Even in the summer storms are common. Especially those visitors who plan and traveling into the backcountry should be prepared for adverse conditions. Warm, waterproof clothing is all but required year-round ... just in case."

I'll stick to wool and or wool/silk blends too. No plastic clothing for me. When I worked in the far southern polar regions (Antarctica) the company would issue extreme cold weather clothing, which included a lot of synthetic junk. Which I refused to wear and took my own wool, silk and fur lined clothing. I liked my Filson tin cloth packer coat with a wool liner, Arctic bibs and Filson insulated boots with wool socks. Kept me plenty warm down to -65.

291089_291089_1.jpg

I received a Canada Goose Expedition jacket as a gift from my parents a couple years ago. I can't imagine a warmer jacket existing on planet earth. As bad as winter can get over here...this jacket simply isn't practical to wear on most winter days. I feel bad because it's such a nice jacket but I haven't worn it as much as I expected. Unless ur going to be out in the elements in subzero conditions for hours at a time...your going to melt ur tail off.

There are at least a couple days a year during winter were I get to pretend to be an "arcticdude" for a day while everyone is freezing their anus.

I'll stick to wool and or wool/silk blends too. No plastic clothing for me. When I worked in the far southern polar regions (Antarctica) the company would issue extreme cold weather clothing, which included a lot of synthetic junk. Which I refused to wear and took my own wool, silk and fur lined clothing. I liked my Filson tin cloth packer coat with a wool liner, Arctic bibs and Filson insulated boots with wool socks. Kept me plenty warm down to -65.

There is a show on Netflix about arctic people from some isolated Alaskan town surviving out in unforgiving mountain terrain. The name escapes me at the moment...

I was thinking...arctic could have his own reality show and be banking off of it. I was going to mention it to you and take my cut (finders fee of course) but figured u would refuse.

Bad thing about synthetic fibers in clothes made for the outdoors is they don't hold up too well when a hot ember pops onto one's lap from the fire pit, wool being a little more forgiving.

Can't say I tested this theory out with the Expedition. I usually just go inside when it gets too cold.

Can't say I tested this theory out with the Expedition. I usually just go inside when it gets too cold.

I wouldn't test your jacket, those ain't cheap. Synthetics fuse to the skin given instant third degree burns. In the Military in some situations had to wear either wool or cotton as a barrier between the clothing outer layer and the skin to prevent fusing.

Different fabrics reaction to fire

Wool, though be careful because a lot of wool sold on the market is a blend and will slightly scorch to a point though doesn't fuse to the skin

first I am in my comfort zone 99.9% of the time so getting lost isn't going to happen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where I live when it comes to the critters out in the woods,I am not overly concerned with them,in 14 years I have seen 1 Bear to many Coyotes a few Bobcats and Raccoons are everywhere and we have a healthy Fox population,,the rest come on get real,,,the elements lack of food and water are your real problems

now for the most part very few of us are going to get in the chit unless the SHTF....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and in that case the last thing you want to do is make everything highly visible

for the O.P. ,,,,,,know your area,know it well

I wouldn't test your jacket, those ain't cheap. Synthetics fuse to the skin given instant third degree burns. In the Military in some situations had to wear either wool or cotton as a barrier between the clothing outer layer and the skin to prevent fusing.

Different fabrics reaction to fire

Wool, though be careful because a lot of wool sold on the market is a blend and will slightly scorch to a point though doesn't fuse to the skin

Good post.

Latest posts

Back