Why does it feel like everyone has money except me?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money is always an issue with everyone. Plan your purchases to fit your budget. Got my latest 1911 on lay a way at the pawnshop. Set a goal. If you want an item than start saving money for it. A little at a time is a good approach. Don't overspend. Yeah gear is cool to have but does get expensive. Priorities. What is really necessary to survive. Food, clothing, shelter and defense. Look for bargains. Flea markets, yard sales and pawnshops have a lot of useful items for cheap. I have found military surplus wool blankets for cheap at flea markets. Always have cash and be ready to buy. If you come across an item you need or want money talks BS walks. JMHO.

What I am saying is that there seems like a total lack of concern by people around me that the events coming are going to be life changing!

Normalcy Bias.
A lot of people go through life that way,they refuse to believe that anything will change their life in a negative way other than maybe money.
My best Buddy has it to a certain degree but he's capable when it comes to the outdoors and acquiring food whether it's hunting or fishing.
He spends almost every weekend at out BOL sleeping in a tent and cooking fish over a fire. He doesnt do this to prepare himself he just enjoys it.
While he's aware of the things going on right now he's done nothing to prepare because he thinks it wont get really bad.
And he knows he has a place with the Wife and I if things go really bad,he'd be an asset to have in the house or the BOL because of his outdoor knowledge and shooting/fishing skills.

Ya beat me to it.
It's amazing to me that people can go through life thinking that will never happen to me.
When all you have to do is look back at the great depression which wasn't that long ago.
Hell,we're at a higher risk of societal breakdown now than during the great depression. Back then the Gov wasnt actively trying to make it worse like they are today.

because people are on social media and nobody on social media post their struggles or the bad days they have. All they care about is projecting themselves to be something desirable. Don't worry, they are all fake, and most of the people that do have nice things are in debt up to their eyeballs.

Get off social media, your evaluation of your personal wealth will skyrocket!

BINGO! Amazingly, more than a few normally intelligent folks have it…in spades!

From what I've found people who really follow politics and world politics are less likely to have normalcy bias. Especially Conservatives.
Then you have the people who rely on the mainstream media for their info as in democrats,they flat out refuse to believe in it.

1654203716530.png

because people are on social media and nobody on social media post their struggles or the bad days they have. All they care about is projecting themselves to be something desirable. Don't worry, they are all fake, and most of the people that do have nice things are in debt up to their eyeballs.

Get off social media, your evaluation of your personal wealth will skyrocket!

While we're on social media right now but I get where you're coming from.
My brother is a perfect example of what you're referring to. His wife dumped him because he was and still is a drunk,the courts took away his daughter and he screwed up his visitation rights. He eventually signed over his rights to even see his daughter and she moved back to Minnesota and took his daughter with her.
But to read his Facebook you'd think he was a wonderful dad who could now give his child support directly to his daughter. Forgetting the fact that he hasnt paid child support in years and the last time he gave her money was a year ago....it was $50 bucks.
While the Wife and I pay for her college and give Her spending money.
I'll have nothing to do with Fakebook or any of the other places where the Narcissistic crowd hangs out.
Mainly because I cant bite my tongue and I''l call em out on their bullshit.

Hell,we're at a higher risk of societal breakdown now than during the great depression. Back then the Gov wasnt actively trying to make it worse like they are today.
Actually they were. Government banking, monetary and labor policies created the Great Depression. The only reason the Great Depression ended was that FDR needed the industrialists to help with the war effort and "POOF!" - the Great Depression suddenly vanished. Without the government's "help" the crash of '29 would have just been a crash and recovery.

Actually they were. Government banking, monetary and labor policies created the Great Depression. The only reason the Great Depression ended was that FDR needed the industrialists to help with the war effort and "POOF!" - the Great Depression suddenly vanished. Without the government's "help" the crash of '29 would have just been a crash and recovery.

What brought us out of the great depression was the war no doubt.
And of course FDR building the Grand Coulee dam.

Normalcy Bias continued...
Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a cognitive bias which leads people to disbelieve or minimize threat warnings.[1] Consequently, individuals underestimate the likelihood of a disaster, when it might affect them, and its potential adverse effects.[2] The normalcy bias causes many people to not adequately prepare for natural disasters, market crashes, and calamities caused by human error. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias during a disaster.[3]

The normalcy bias can manifest in response to warnings about disasters and actual catastrophes. Such disasters include market crashes, motor vehicle accidents, natural disasters like a tsunami, and war. Normalcy bias has also been called analysis paralysis, the ostrich effect,[4] and by first responders, the negative panic.[5]

The opposite of normalcy bias is overreaction, or worst-case scenario bias,[6][7] in which small deviations from normality are dealt with as signals of an impending catastrophe.
Both underreaction (normalcy bias) and overreaction (worst-case thinking) are cognitive flaws and may extend to patterns of
cognitive distortions.

When Russia invaded Ukraine, a huge percentage of my group moved into the facility, and I think there was a lot of group-think going on across the board. At the time, I thought it was probably prudent but now, like most, I feel a bit foolish, and like I overreacted. I rationalize that it was good practice,
How do you help a group moderate its tendency to overreact or is it just what's needed for these times?

The same wiki article continues - interesting - do I see myself again?

People who promote conspiracy theories or apocalyptic future scenarios have cited the normalcy bias as a prime reason why others scoff at their pronouncements. For example, survivalists who fear that the U.S. will soon descend into totalitarianism cite normalcy bias as the reason why most Americans do not share their worries.[citation needed] Similarly, fundamentalist Christians use the normalcy bias to explain why others scoff at their beliefs about the "End Time". One fundamentalist website writes: "May we not get blinded by the 'normalcy bias' but rather live with the knowledge that the Lord’s coming is near."[16][12]

Normalcy Bias continued...
Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a cognitive bias which leads people to disbelieve or minimize threat warnings.[1] Consequently, individuals underestimate the likelihood of a disaster, when it might affect them, and its potential adverse effects.[2] The normalcy bias causes many people to not adequately prepare for natural disasters, market crashes, and calamities caused by human error. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias during a disaster.[3]

The normalcy bias can manifest in response to warnings about disasters and actual catastrophes. Such disasters include market crashes, motor vehicle accidents, natural disasters like a tsunami, and war. Normalcy bias has also been called analysis paralysis, the ostrich effect,[4] and by first responders, the negative panic.[5]

The opposite of normalcy bias is overreaction, or worst-case scenario bias,[6][7] in which small deviations from normality are dealt with as signals of an impending catastrophe.
Both underreaction (normalcy bias) and overreaction (worst-case thinking) are cognitive flaws and may extend to patterns of
cognitive distortions.

When Russia invaded Ukraine, a huge percentage of my group moved into the facility, and I think there was a lot of group-think going on across the board. At the time, I thought it was probably prudent but now, like most, I feel a bit foolish, and like I overreacted. I rationalize that it was good practice,
How do you help a group moderate its tendency to overreact or is it just what's needed for these times?

The same wiki article continues - interesting - do I see myself again?

People who promote conspiracy theories or apocalyptic future scenarios have cited the normalcy bias as a prime reason why others scoff at their pronouncements. For example, survivalists who fear that the U.S. will soon descend into totalitarianism cite normalcy bias as the reason why most Americans do not share their worries.[citation needed] Similarly, fundamentalist Christians use the normalcy bias to explain why others scoff at their beliefs about the "End Time". One fundamentalist website writes: "May we not get blinded by the 'normalcy bias' but rather live with the knowledge that the Lord’s coming is near."[16][12]

Agreed that it can go both ways.

However, overreaction is by no means limited to any specific social group based on religious beliefs or lifestyles. It can happen individually and then since humans are social animals, those with similar core beliefs will react as a group, as you pointed out with your example.

Individually some, will see something as a reinforcement of a previously held belief which is neither overreaction nor normalcy bias.

Some will use it to their advantage, notoriously, politicians and media. When the two combine or even are in active cahoots, it becomes dangerous because of the combined power/influence they wield.

An example of manipulating this tendency would be the reaction the media has had to the Buffalo grocery store shootings and seeing "replacement theory" behind every rock and tree, suggesting America has been overrun by gun crazed Neo-Nazis. But, somehow that is never called a "conspiracy theory" as a matter of fact, it is never called out at all.

Instead, those who call them out on it are called conspiracy theorists themselves.

What a world we live in!

Last edited:
I think the same thing, Markcl. I was having a discussion with the owner of the company for which I work, and he was laughing at me. He thinks "it has always been like this", "nothing bad is going to happen", and "the dems and republicans fight; it's what they do"!! These people are frogs in slow boiling water. My own mother thinks I am a fringe conspiracy theorist for telling her what is happening, even though I can show her the actual news articles. It's like they are completely incapable of putting it all together, or even realizing how much worse things are getting every day. It's like they are passengers in a car with a stuck acceperator, and they don't even care, because the car is still going; completely oblivious to the fact that eventually they will have to crash. They just go on about their day, pretending all is well. They know NOTHING about the war in Ukraine, except, "I support Ukraine", "Russia bad".

They are completely incapable of realizing how the rhetoric and hate is ratcheting up; and how that ends. They just go along with black lives matter, without even looking at what they group actually supports. We cannot even say all lives matter without being labeled a racist. We are in coo coo times.

Just keep prepping, because when the water boils over, those same people will be wailing and gnashing their teeth. I will have ZERO sympathy. Further, I look forward to their demise. I prefer a future where the rational, mentally strong rule.

I think the same thing, Markcl. I was having a discussion with the owner of the company for which I work, and he was laughing at me. He thinks "it has always been like this", "nothing bad is going to happen", and "the dems and republicans fight; it's what they do"!! These people are frogs in slow boiling water. My own mother thinks I am a fringe conspiracy theorist for telling her what is happening, even though I can show her the actual news articles. It's like they are completely incapable of putting it all together, or even realizing how much worse things are getting every day. It's like they are passengers in a car with a stuck acceperator, and they don't even care, because the car is still going; completely oblivious to the fact that eventually they will have to crash. They just go on about their day, pretending all is well. They know NOTHING about the war in Ukraine, except, "I support Ukraine", "Russia bad".

They are completely incapable of realizing how the rhetoric and hate is ratcheting up; and how that ends. They just go along with black lives matter, without even looking at what they group actually supports. We cannot even say all lives matter without being labeled a racist. We are in coo coo times.

Just keep prepping, because when the water boils over, those same people will be wailing and gnashing their teeth. I will have ZERO sympathy. Further, I look forward to their demise. I prefer a future where the rational, mentally strong rule.

I'm in the camp of screw russia and the ukraine.
Remember it was the ukraine oil/gas company that was paying hunter 80k a month doing a job he knew nothing about.
When they tried to investigate biden told the ukraine to fire the prosecutor or they wouldnt be getting any more money.
He actually said this on national TV.
And what did they do? They fired the prosecutor.

Latest posts

Back