When Society Collapses, Will The United States Be One Of The Best Places To Be Located?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the list of island nations that are supposedly "best" survival nations >>> UK being one - Ireland another - hate to look at that list as a practical prepper - but they aren't self sufficient nations now - much less in a severe SHTF - WW1 & 2 certainly were proof of that ....

anybody that thinks being a foreigner in a strange country during a SHTF is a smart move - bad enough being from an outsider in a region of the country and having locals problems - having gooberment & legal problems really will screw you over - ex patriot Americans found that out early on with Covid - Prez Trump had a worldwide rescue system in place to bring citizens home ....

I've seen the list of island nations that are supposedly "best" survival nations >>> UK being one - Ireland another - hate to look at that list as a practical prepper - but they aren't self sufficient nations now - much less in a severe SHTF - WW1 & 2 certainly were proof of that ....
in a societal collapse the population will be much smaller and feeding ourselves will be a personal occupation.

anybody that thinks being a foreigner in a strange country during a SHTF is a smart move - bad enough being from an outsider in a region of the country and having locals problems - having gooberment & legal problems really will screw you over - ex patriot Americans found that out early on with Covid - Prez Trump had a worldwide rescue system in place to bring citizens home ....
Good point about being an outsider. People are clannish and untrusting of strangers in good times, even worse during tough times.

A full time occupation

It is not that bad.
There are busy times, and down times.
IF you keep up with it and have the right tools, weeding the garden takes about 20-30 minutes. Watering when I have too, about 15 minutes. It is faster now with the new well.
Watering, moving the live stock, two people about 20 minutes each. Haul water out to them by hand is a work out, but not in a bad way.
Using a European scythe, takes about an hour a day. Next day rake. Third day overhaul. Fourth day bag and put up in the loft. Once you get the hang of a European scythe, it is actually kinda fun.
Chopping, splitting, stacking firewood, that is a chore.
Slaughter, butchering, processing a hog, that is about a two day event, not including making of bacon, curing other cuts, sausage etc.
Same goes for deer.
Yeah, it will be a full time occupation.

And where all other fad diets failed, the post-SHTF one will succeed.

It is not that bad.
IF you keep up with it and have the right tools, weeding the garden takes about 20-30 minutes. Watering when I have too, about 15 minutes. It is faster now with the new well.
Watering, moving the live stock, two people about 20 minutes each. Haul water out to them by hand is a work out, but not in a bad way.
Using a European scythe, takes about an hour a day. Next day rake. Third day overhaul. Fourth day bag and put up in the loft. Once you get the hang of a European scythe, it is actually kinda fun.
Slaughter, butchering, processing a hog, that is about a two day event, not including making of bacon, curing other cuts, sausage etc.
Same goes for deer.

I laughed about that last part on fad diets. No doubt most people today could stand to loose some weight anyways. Overall it would be great for lowering blood pressure and diabetes rates. I’ve been dieting for the first time in my life for almost a month now. It kind of sucks but I’ve lost 16lbs already! Still have a way to go to loose my belly. I just eat breakfast and lunch. Reasonable choices without any major restrictions and then nothing else in the afternoon or evening other than my nightly glass of wine at bedtime. I’m working on getting in better shape anyways. Blood pressure has already dropped considerably too.

I think the second amendment is one advantage. On the other hand, if you are attacked those people are also more likely to have guns so maybe it evens out.

Well, the vaccine is the Great Reset then millions die of new variants this fall and we will be a depopulated country. We will have lots of space and great employment opportunities for grave diggers.

I laughed about that last part on fad diets. No doubt most people today could stand to loose some weight anyways. Overall it would be great for lowering blood pressure and diabetes rates. I’ve been dieting for the first time in my life for almost a month now. It kind of sucks but I’ve lost 16lbs already! Still have a way to go to loose my belly. I just eat breakfast and lunch. Reasonable choices without any major restrictions and then nothing else in the afternoon or evening other than my nightly glass of wine at bedtime. I’m working on getting in better shape anyways. Blood pressure has already dropped considerably too.

Glad you liked the joke, at the same time, it will likely be true.
It is a 1.5 mile walk to my friends/neighbors. If I had to make that trip two or three times a week, I am sure I would see the benefits.

Good for you and the weight loss.

I live in an area of hard working farmers. You don't see anybody going out for a jog or going to a gym. There isn't a gym anyway.

The ATV broke and it would be a few days before the part was in.
Live stock still needed watering. So I humped two 5gal buckets out to them in the fields. Cows needed two, goats one, hogs 2-3 depending how hot it was.
That was a work out.

Yep. Hauling buckets to our green bean bins. Hydrant broke. Got smaller buckets and now it's a job for little granddaughter. We make do all the time.

It is not that bad.
Same goes for deer.

This is all something that I hope we never experience. Even with equipment it still takes most ranchers several weeks to put up their hay. Even in my small outfit I couldn't imagine putting up 100 ton of hay with horses. My barn isn't set up with the system for unloading loose hay off a trailer and putting in the barn. Our garden/orchard takes about 8 hours every day to water. I realize that in some parts of the country there's rain, but not out here. We're either hot, dry and dusty, or we're tits deep in snow.

Before I had a real tractor, it was moving 12 bales and a barrel of feed around every 2 weeks by hand. I was a lot stronger a year and a half ago.

I made my watering easier by getting IBC tanks to feed the troughs. The existing water system was so porous, I didn’t trust it not to burn out my pump. I can make sure enough tanks are full and have 2 weeks gravity fed water for the critters. Who needs electricity for the pump?

I chose to work smarter not harder. Thinking ahead like this has reduced my daily chores.

Latest posts

Back