What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My idiot daughter in law says you must not say Peking, You must say "Bay Jing."
Peking is Cantonese, Beijing is Mandarin. Guangdong Province is called Canton in Cantonese.
We had a lot of Cantonese in this country at one time that came over to work on the railroads, and the Chinatowns were mostly Cantonese, so a lot of Cantonese words were familiar to Americans before Mandarin words were.

The discouragement to use Cantonese words is all the CCP's doing. Hong Kong speaks Cantonese. Google Translate does not even list Cantonese as an option now. (CCP's doing)

So your daughter in law is obeying the CCP.

I made a few things for meal preps for the week. I'm on call so I want to have stuff ready if I don't have time to cook (and I don't want to be grabbing Whataburger or Chick-Fil-A either lol). I ate a "little" of each to test of course 😆. I made split pea soup with a side of brown rice, a kale salad with mixed berries, carrots, pistachios, and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette and whole pan of hard boiled eggs (a great quick protein snack!). While cooking, of course I had a couple glasses of wine ;).

Recently I developed a taste for chicken tortilla soup, with diced white onions, green peppers, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips and hot sauce.

Grilled a big chunk of cow! a few days ago.
1217211952a.jpg

My family tradition is pizza for Christmas, but currently I don't have any family close by. So I'm going to a coworker's for the holiday and we're having a "traditional" Christmas dinner with ham, etc. I'll be seeing family next week at new year's.

My family tradition is pizza for Christmas, but currently I don't have any family close by. So I'm going to a coworker's for the holiday and we're having a "traditional" Christmas dinner with ham, etc. I'll be seeing family next week at new year's.
i am happy you can be with someone. No one should be alone at this time of year.

Peking is Cantonese, Beijing is Mandarin. Guangdong Province is called Canton in Cantonese.
We had a lot of Cantonese in this country at one time that came over to work on the railroads, and the Chinatowns were mostly Cantonese, so a lot of Cantonese words were familiar to Americans before Mandarin words were.

The discouragement to use Cantonese words is all the CCP's doing. Hong Kong speaks Cantonese. Google Translate does not even list Cantonese as an option now. (CCP's doing)

So your daughter in law is obeying the CCP.
We used to have a Peking restaurant not too far from here. Unfortunately they went out of business a couple years ago. I still miss them since it was the only descent Chinese food we could get around here.

Latest posts

Back