What's for dinner in 2022.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For our group of 17 people. We cooked a beef brisket. Sautéed onion, pepper, jalapeños and mushrooms. French pistolet rolls. Potato salad. Baked beans with Xtra bacon. Chicken, pork and beef jambalaya. Broccoli and rice casserole. BBQ chicken. Spring mix garden salad with spinach, tomatoes, avocado, black olives, onion, peppers, beats, carrots, etc.. several dressings, one homemade pepper jelly balsamic vinegerret.

2 types of watermelon.

Cookies and brownies
Strawberry shortcake and a lemon icebox pie for dessert.

Ice cold Yuengling beer was the adult beverage of choice this year.

Some more family came over with beef and sausage shish kabobs.

Last edited:
BBQ chicken, butter beans, collard greens, cornbread, and a local craft beer.
IMG_20230704_173150.jpg

Wow yall! I worked about 6 hours today because I screwed around and almost missed a deadline due tomorrow! I made burgers with left over baked beans, corn on cobb, and Arby's frozen seasoned fries in airfryer...lol..was gonna grill out but too damn hot. Temp was reading 100 on outside thermoeter..don't know heat index today...but I was sweating like a heathen fugative in a cotton patch on judgement day....just larry and I today...he's gone to bed (ain't dark yet!). I'm sitting on front porch having vodker tonic..listening to music, waiting on redneck neighborhood fireworks to kick up!

Sounds like all had some great 4th of July celebration dinners today! 😊

I havent seen Ecarole around here for years.
Greens and beans 1 night.
Marinated oil and herbs charred on the grill salad with salmon the next night.
Tonight was Utica greens. Only people from Upstate NY would understand this one
Had to look that one up. We call it "endive."

Had to look that one up. We call it "endive."
They are closely related, slightly bitter lettuce. Escarole is flatter leaf. Endive is curly leaf and slightly more bitter. Supermarkets where i grew up had to carry both because they are both used in Italian cooking.

There is a lot of confusion about chicory and endive. Mainly because some endive cultivars are called chicory, and some chicory cultivars are called endive.

But escarole and curly endive are both cultivars of true endive (Chicorium endivia). Escarole is also known as broad leaf endive.
Escarole is Chicorium endivia var latifolia
Curly endive is Chicorium endivia var crispum

"Belgian Endive," on the other hand, is not actually endive but a cultivar of chicory (Chicorium intybus)

Whatever we grow, it is really bitter. I use it because bitter herbs are good for you, but I don't force it on others. I told my kids to go out and pick lettuce for dinner one night. They didn't listen to my instructions or pay attention to what they were doing andcame back with huge handfuls of endive.

...So we had only endive in the meal and now they know then difference. 😆

Latest posts

Back