What are the ultimate DD foods and why?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rice and Beans is going to be the background of my prepping. I am building off of it. In other words, I bought and stored a lot of Beans and Rice... and then I plan on adding to it canned bean, canned soup, dehydrated water, freeze dried goods, canned meats.... etc. Does anyone know where I can get some dehydrated water? Walmart is out of it.
Im taking enough mres thatll last a bit longer than it would take to walk to my destination.
Then ill set traps, spike pits, rock falls etc for food, but my first priority would be water, then all my traps, then shelter.

No dehydrated water, bht ill see if i can find some freeze dryed, is that ok???

Rice and Beans is going to be the background of my prepping. I am building off of it. In other words, I bought and stored a lot of Beans and Rice... and then I plan on adding to it canned bean, canned soup, dehydrated water, freeze dried goods, canned meats.... etc. Does anyone know where I can get some dehydrated water? Walmart is out of it.
I have done the same, rice and beans as the staple, Can't go wrong. It has been tried and tested.

Ok... we are all adults here... LET'S STOP KIDDING OURSELVES HERE!!! We all know the ultimate DD food and no one has the stones to say it... well I will...
GuinnessDraughtcopy1.jpg

First of all, please let me say: Thank the good God that I live in BFE. I couldn't deal with living in a town, let alone a city.

Rice stays good for years as long as you keep it dry and keep critters out of it. Putting it in clean, dry soda bottles works well for portability. Dehydrating your fruits and veg will lighten your load and add a good amount of variety. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can put oven racks in a car that is parked in the sun with the windows rolled up. Makes a great solar dehydrator, just don't do onions or peppers cause you'll never get the stink out.

As for the best livestock to keep in town, I would go with rabbits. You get a good meat return in a short amount of time and best of all, they are quiet and easier to hide than chickens. Yes there is a strain of chicken that gets to 5-7 pounds in 7-8 weeks, but they are hybrids and as such they can't be reproduced to make more of them. Also, you lose a fair few of them to heart attacks and leg issues because they are bred to put on so much weight in a very short time. Rabbits are also not as messy to butcher as a chicken, would draw less attention to what you are doing.

I am in a good location and can sustain life where we are. I plant a garden every year, have mayhaws, pears, apples and blackberries that grow on the property. I also have a surplus of meats when need be. So what I have been stocking up on is long shelf life foods. Flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, rice, wheat flour, seasonings, etc. I am hoping that everyone starts a garden of their own. You can grow and can so many different things. Not just the basics. . .think out of the box. For instance tomatoes. . .tomato sauce, paste, stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with chilis, BarBQ sauce, salsa, chili sauce, pickled spicy green tomatoes, etc. . . .and these simple canning items can be used in so many other recipes.

First of all, please let me say: Thank the good God that I live in BFE. I couldn't deal with living in a town, let alone a city.

Rice stays good for years as long as you keep it dry and keep critters out of it. Putting it in clean, dry soda bottles works well for portability. Dehydrating your fruits and veg will lighten your load and add a good amount of variety. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can put oven racks in a car that is parked in the sun with the windows rolled up. Makes a great solar dehydrator, just don't do onions or peppers cause you'll never get the stink out.

As for the best livestock to keep in town, I would go with rabbits. You get a good meat return in a short amount of time and best of all, they are quiet and easier to hide than chickens. Yes there is a strain of chicken that gets to 5-7 pounds in 7-8 weeks, but they are hybrids and as such they can't be reproduced to make more of them. Also, you lose a fair few of them to heart attacks and leg issues because they are bred to put on so much weight in a very short time. Rabbits are also not as messy to butcher as a chicken, would draw less attention to what you are doing.
Good info, i am there with you on the rabbits.

Danil54grl, are you keeping the cornmeal and wheat flour in the freezer? Just curious since I've had problems with both items going rancid in a short amount of time (6 months). A woman at the Ag extension office told me what caused it, but for the life of me, I can't remember what she said.

Colt, the only problem I have with rabbits being the sole source for meat, is that the lack of fat can actually kill you if your diet is not heavily supplemented with other fats. Guess you could always fry the rabbit up in lard, tastes pretty good to me.

For the short term, I use old laundry buckets with tight fitting lids (Throughly cleaned and sunned). I have done this for the last 5 years for both my flour and sugar, with no problems. My cornmeal has been kept in a smaller food safe container that I got from a friend who's mother does catering. I do alot of baking and cooking, so these are rotated often

I use icing buckets for most of my stuff. I don't use a lot of whole wheat flour so I keep that in the freezer. I've never had trouble with anything else in the buckets, food will keep for years in them, but like you, I cook and bake a lot, so foods get rotated.

I think variety is the key. I started doing canned goods like walmart brand
tuna and chicken noodle soup because its so cheap. Then i got to thinking,
since i dont have a very good storage area, them cans are more vulnerable
to damage so i backed off on canned goods a bit and started to go with things
like peanut butter, rice and beans. Ramen noodles are super cheap, so i snag
a box of each when im at the store. They also sell them generic boxes of cereal
for a dollar, so ive bought quite a few of them. I think if i had to go heavy on just
a couple things it would be rice and beans because of the shelf life and they go
along way, plus not to mention they are alot of calories and carbs.

I used to practically live on Ramen noodles but I don't have any in my storage because they take up so much room compared to rice and can goods. Maybe this is just my perception.

I used to practically live on Ramen noodles but I don't have any in my storage because they take up so much room compared to rice and can goods. Maybe this is just my perception.
Me too, there will be no mac an cheese or ramen in my supplies.

I don't buy mac and cheese, the crap's nasty. As for ramen, I can take them or leave them, but I do have some in the pantry for the kid. I have the items I need to make mac and cheese homemade and it doesn't take anymore time than the store bought kind.

I don't buy mac and cheese, the crap's nasty. As for ramen, I can take them or leave them, but I do have some in the pantry for the kid. I have the items I need to make mac and cheese homemade and it doesn't take anymore time than the store bought kind.
The home made is a different story. I can put that down no problem.

Latest posts

Back