What are the ultimate DD foods and why?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well as ive stated before, im buggen out to the forest area, where i can catch or hunt food, so ill probably only bring a few days food supply for each of us, im going with spam and ramen, and probably some peanut butter.

well as ive stated before, im buggen out to the forest area, where i can catch or hunt food, so ill probably only bring a few days food supply for each of us, im going with spam and ramen, and probably some peanut butter.
I will definitely need more than that as I will have to make my way up to the forested areas with the family in tow. Hopefully I would be able to drive the majority of the way.

i did a drive to burbank the other day, and by the looks of it im going to need more food/water than i thought. the hills before the forestry areas are desert, and theres quite a few to hump it over before we get to a resonable destination. obviously thats only if we have to walk, but prepare for the worst n hope for the best right?

i did a drive to burbank the other day, and by the looks of it im going to need more food/water than i thought. the hills before the forestry areas are desert, and theres quite a few to hump it over before we get to a resonable destination. obviously thats only if we have to walk, but prepare for the worst n hope for the best right?
I was up in that area on Sunday. Getting up highway 2 may be a task if on foot. I would be attempting to get there from orange county. so I pretty much have to travel through mostly populated areas. That has its own element of danger... especially with kid(s) in tow.

I was up in that area on Sunday. Getting up highway 2 may be a task if on foot. I would be attempting to get there from orange county. so I pretty much have to travel through mostly populated areas. That has its own element of danger... especially with kid(s) in tow.
my area?
or your shtf destination?

I'm thinking of raising some animals for DDP grub. I have heard that chicken are the best yield for the $. It makes sense to me especially if you're willing to eat eggs. I have heard that the next closest(The pig?) isn't even a close second. Do any of you all have animals or have you had experience raising farm animals as edibles.

I'm thinking of raising some animals for DDP grub. I have heard that chicken are the best yield for the $. It makes sense to me especially if you're willing to eat eggs. I have heard that the next closest(The pig?) isn't even a close second. Do any of you all have animals or have you had experience raising farm animals as edibles.
i have a bit of exp on the matter:
chickens are great, but look in your local zoning laws.
also, roosters "pollinate" the eggs, if you want chicks (not the human kind LOL)
pigs, you really need an enclosed area for them, a good one at that, as they are excape artists, and will get into everything and anything they can, like goats lol.
if you have enough land, i recommend cows as well, they can graze on just about anything, but if you do buy food, its not really that much in comparison to a human. also its crap is great for your organic garden, and any mushrooms that grow in it (hehe) can probably be used to barder with.

We have chickens and we live in the city. They got a pin out in the backyard. They eat about a coffee can full of food every two days. The feed is fairly cheap. We get eggs nearly every day, though we don't have a rooster. We also have rabbits. Their food is a little more expensive but it is easy to stretch it out for a longer period of time by giving them grass and vegetables. When my garden stops producing for the year they will fill up on my green bean vines and okra plants. We hope to be moving soon on to a bigger piece of land so we can sustain with going to the grocery store.

We have chickens and we live in the city. They got a pin out in the backyard. They eat about a coffee can full of food every two days. The feed is fairly cheap. We get eggs nearly every day, though we don't have a rooster. We also have rabbits. Their food is a little more expensive but it is easy to stretch it out for a longer period of time by giving them grass and vegetables. When my garden stops producing for the year they will fill up on my green bean vines and okra plants. We hope to be moving soon on to a bigger piece of land so we can sustain with going to the grocery store.
How envious am I! There is now way my city or "community" would allow that. I'm sure it would be a violation of the cc&r in a huge way.

Its a tough call on what to do, I sure as hell would take as much food and as possible, If i have to bug out "God forbid" I only want to hunt to supplement some meals. I hunted a lot when i was young, and was skunked many of times. I not really into eating grass hoppers an grubs, this isn't man vs wild, an that's going to be no fun for my kid. Also no matter where you go, you are going to run into someone else doing the same thing, It will be hunted and fished out. If i have to leave, then so be it, But home is where it is at for me.

Its a tough call on what to do, I sure as hell would take as much food and as possible, If i have to bug out "God forbid" I only want to hunt to supplement some meals. I hunted a lot when i was young, and was skunked many of times. I not really into eating grass hoppers an grubs, this isn't man vs wild, an that's going to be no fun for my kid. Also no matter where you go, you are going to run into someone else doing the same thing, It will be hunted and fished out. If i have to leave, then so be it, But home is where it is at for me.
well as much as i understand and agree, i live in gang territory, and there's no way in hell I'm staying home if SHTF.
i live pretty close to the Angeles forest, which has acres upon acres of land to hunt and live, although i think your right, once everybody gets the idea, even as vast as it is, may become crowded and uninhabitable.
a man vs wild may be what it comes down to, and I'm well prepared to eat anything to survive, although this region there's a lot to hunt besides bear and deer, like: rabbit, squirrel, mice, etc. bugs n grubs being very, very far down my menu LOL.
i just think when roaming gangs are around, citys will have the most provisions to plunder, being it store or house. even if one has an arsenal and a food supply to last a lifetime, if 8 r 9 guys come at you, it only takes one bullet before all that becomes theirs. and me, personally, id rather be in the protection of the forest, than have my house surrounded by thugs. i mean what would i do at that point? the only option would be fight or die.

well as much as i understand and agree, i live in gang territory, and there's no way in hell I'm staying home if SHTF.
i live pretty close to the Angeles forest, which has acres upon acres of land to hunt and live, although i think your right, once everybody gets the idea, even as vast as it is, may become crowded and uninhabitable.
a man vs wild may be what it comes down to, and I'm well prepared to eat anything to survive, although this region there's a lot to hunt besides bear and deer, like: rabbit, squirrel, mice, etc. bugs n grubs being very, very far down my menu LOL.
i just think when roaming gangs are around, citys will have the most provisions to plunder, being it store or house. even if one has an arsenal and a food supply to last a lifetime, if 8 r 9 guys come at you, it only takes one bullet before all that becomes theirs. and me, personally, id rather be in the protection of the forest, than have my house surrounded by thugs. i mean what would i do at that point? the only option would be fight or die.
Ya dude, i am in the same boat down hear next to the boarder. I just hope it does not happen, I am more worried about earthquakes. And the shit that's going to follow. Hopefully order can be restored before it gets to wild. I mean who knows, I do agree with your theory and i am ready for that, but i don't want to do it. I will tell you this, I will burn it before any thug gets it.

Ya dude, i am in the same boat down hear next to the boarder. I just hope it does not happen, I am more worried about earthquakes. And the shit thats going to follow. Hopefully order can be restored before it gets to wild. I mean who knows, I do agree with your theory and i am ready for that, but i don't want to do it. I will tell you this, I will burn it before any thug gets it.
ya, but with my kids, i couldnt think of burning it. in the forest, at least we might have the oppertunity to run.

ok IMHO, an earthquake would suck, but it wouldnt be world changing occurance, well unless you're at ground 0. if by chance a massive earthquake does hit, you can always go a bit east where they wernt affected by the quake and find a fully stocked store.

ya, but with my kids, i couldnt think of burning it. in the forest, at least we might have the oppertunity to run.

ok IMHO, an earthquake would suck, but it wouldnt be world changing occurance, well unless you're at ground 0. if by chance a massive earthquake does hit, you can always go a bit east where they wernt affected by the quake and find a fully stocked store.
You know you have some really good points. " YOU SUCK" now I am all screwed up !!

Ya dude, i am in the same boat down hear next to the boarder. I just hope it does not happen, I am more worried about earthquakes. And the shit that's going to follow. Hopefully order can be restored before it gets to wild. I mean who knows, I do agree with your theory and i am ready for that, but i don't want to do it. I will tell you this, I will burn it before any thug gets it.

I am about 60 miles from the border and that is a big concern for me as I too fear earthquakes.
I also have a lot of gangs less than 5 miles from me. Something I am not too thrilled about.
I would much prefer staying put, and enjoying my dehydrated beef/pork patty, but I figure the reality of anything greater than an earthquake, i.e. a nuclear power plant going sour would require a move!

I am about 60 miles from the border and that is a big concern for me as I too fear earthquakes.
I also have a lot of gangs less than 5 miles from me. Something I am not too thrilled about.
I would much prefer staying put, and enjoying my dehydrated beef/pork patty, but I figure the reality of anything greater than an earthquake, i.e. a nuclear power plant going sour would require a move!
Ya , I would like to stay put.

Ya , I would like to stay put.
It just seems the safest at times. I know there is risk involved with staying put due to the a-holes looting, but I figure there is a lot of risk in moving. what do you do if the freeways and roads are littered with abandoned vehicles? Walking with small children in tow will not be an easy task.

It just seems the safest at times. I know there is risk involved with staying put due to the a-holes looting, but I figure there is a lot of risk in moving. what do you do if the freeways and roads are littered with abandoned vehicles? Walking with small children in tow will not be an easy task.
Ya, i agree. staying home with dog, guns, low profile is my plan for quakes.

Latest posts

Back