Water Filters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the mini sawyer, most of the reviews are really good. There’s quite a few things on here I’ve liked the look of but can’t get over here or the shipping costs are extortionate. No worries on the sawyer as you say I can get different bags if need be.

To make activated charcoal, burn bread until it's black ashes, and the black ash is activated charcoal. Just make sure that you grind it into a fine powder.
I think any charcoal has some benefits to filtering but I’ve read that true activated charcoal has to be treated with high heat and steam. I got a large bag on amazon for cheap. Mine was mainly for absorbing a possible poison or contaminated food that was ingested.

Charcoal can be activated with calcium chloride, zinc chloride, lemon juice or citric acid.
Take 1 liter of water, dissolve 250 g calcium chloride or zinc chloride, or two teaspoons of citric acid, or 1/2 cup of pulp free lemon juice.

Add powdered charcoal until it is a slurry with a little excess liquid. Or if you have a smaller fixed amount of charcoal you want to activate, add the solution to the charcoal until it is a slurry with some excess liquid.

Let it sit overnight in a covered container.

Drain off excess liquid using a large basket coffee filter in a large strainer.

Rinse well with distilled water and drain three times.

Then you can either air dry or dry it in an oven.

I’m looking for a water filter to take camping for under £50. We usually take water or there is water on site. I have life straws for emergency but don’t want to use them. We’re not going to a site this time but have a stream nearby. I want to have some idea of what using stream water, campfire cooking would be like with bare essentials. I’ve looked at some ceramic filters but they’re too expensive. Others don’t filter metals. Just wondered if anyone had tried and tested ideas?
Look at the Grayl I have two and they are amazing plus you can fill up multiple containers with filtered water as apposed to only one

Latest posts

Back