Question RE: water filtration.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Ui Niall

Reaction score
Hi preppers, can anyone recommend a portable quality water filtration/purification tool.

Something to add to a bug out bag or maybe even take out hiking. I see so many on the market but I don't trust Chinese crap, bot reviews and trust no one except experienced, genuine, straight shooting, real people.

When I say quality I mean durable and filters out the most contamination as possible.

I have 1000s of water purification tablets but these are for emergency use only. I need something to run with if SHTF.

Cheers
Alan

Although Berkeley gravity filters aren’t really the most portable filters they are simple, efficient and are my favorite out there hands down. Not good for backpacking but fine if your in a vehicle. I have two, one for the house and one for travel. I’m camping now in a 17’ camper and it supplies all our water. I use the ceramic filters but have the charcoal one as standby. I actually have a few smaller filters for emergencies but have never tried them out. My thinking is the more complicated or the more moving parts they have are just potential problems. Keep it simple.

Terracotta clay pot (unglazed) and pre-soaked with silver nitrate as an antimicrobial agent.

I used to use electrocoagulation using a car battery and a set of electrodes (one steel and one aluminum) followed by sand filtration for our lake water before we had a well.

Hi preppers, can anyone recommend a portable quality water filtration/purification tool.

Something to add to a bug out bag or maybe even take out hiking. I see so many on the market but I don't trust Chinese crap, bot reviews and trust no one except experienced, genuine, straight shooting, real people.

When I say quality I mean durable and filters out the most contamination as possible.

I have 1000s of water purification tablets but these are for emergency use only. I need something to run with if SHTF.

Cheers
Alan

I have several Sawyers in the BOB's. Sawyer has an excellent reputation. You can add them inline to your water bladder. They have squeeze bags. With purchasing add ons you can hang them up and let it gravity feed to a clean container in camp per say. They last a long time. They include a surynge so that you can back feed the filter with clean water which purges all of the dirt/contaminates out of the filter.

I also have a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. I have had it for several years but still have not used it. It has a very good reputation also.

I would not use those water filter straws. You have to bend over the water source bending down and you loose control of your environment. Now if you have other people to provide security then It is not as big of a security threat.

What ever filter you use. Once you use it do not allow it to freeze or you will get sick. As you know water enlarges when it freezes that is why people burst pipes in the winter time. Same thing, it will break your filter allowing contaminated water to come thru the clean side.

Amazon, youtube and ebay have all the stuff and videos you could ever need....all types of survival tools, gadgets, knives and camping or just cool things for every budget. Read the revisons first for the good and bad things in the testing stages of buyers tho. Many things like first aid kits, survival kits and tool kits are cheaper if you build them yourself, just as normal dried food is as good but much cheaper than "survival" stuff and MRE'S. Try making and drying your own chili, canning your own chicken broth or canning your own cooked meats. Learn to make pemmican and beef jerky.

Latest posts

Back