Boiling water for drinking--needing some straight answers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling your filtered water is inferior to using the proper safe amount of CD in your filtered water.
Boiling water consums fuel, CD doesn't. Boiling water does not kill all bacteria, CD does, as well as all viruses, molds, fungus and most parasites.

I had a teacher in 6th grade who went to Baja skin diving regularly. This was in the late 1950s. He used chlorine pills, never took a chance and never got sick. I have used streams for drinking water without harm and I have gotten sick doing this. I would recommend boiling and chlorine or reverse osmosis. It is better to be safe. It is never cool to have the runs.

All you ever wanted to know (and then some) about chemical water purification:
EPA Water Office Alternative Disinfectants and Oxidants Guidance Manual
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=2000229L.txt
It turns out, chlorine dioxide does more than just kill pathogens...a LOT more!
Chlorine dioxide has an entire chapter in the manual - Chapter 4.

If the water comes from a somewhat clean source use copper vessels to kill bacteria. Or simply put a piece of copper into a bottle and leave it overnight, no need to boil anything. Best to buy copper ingots and cut them into strips, since they are 99.9% pure copper and will include only trace amounts of toxic elements. Copper will keep your water clean and prevent algae etc from forming.

I got some water filters from Lifestraw (those LifeStraw Water Filter Bottles) and one from Lifesaver (this one LifeSaver Portable Water Filters | Shop | LifeSaver Jerrycan 20000UF), they are by far the most convenient way of getting clean drinking water. I use them all the time when out of house, and you can never have enough of them. You can fill them with the most disgusting, filthy sludge and out will come perfectly clean, drinkable water. Doing that will obviously dramatically reduce your filter lifetime.

I'm buying one everytime I have some extra money, because in a shtf scenario those will be more valuable than anything else. You'll get a gun for one of those, and the owner will let u f*** his daughter.
I use copper to clean my pool. By the end of the season, the copper rods are down to nothing.

You're still going to have to boil the water.
Depends the area you're in. We got here a lot of natural water springs in my area, the water quality there is even better than the bottled one.
If i need to boil water i'll looking for something i can put the water in and an heat source. BTW, we even tried to boil water in an PET-bottle. It worked.

You're still going to have to boil the water.
Thank you for posting this. I have read about these homemade filters but can never remember how they are made. Just printed it out. I have granular charcoal already at my BOL purchased for another use. This method will do nicely if/when my Berkey filters are exhausted and no longer available. I fear this will be an extended BO scenario.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back