The Fall of Hospitals

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in Portland, as do many in SW Washington. Two interstate bridges. We get to pay OR income taxes with no votes. All of my friends are in Portland.

1633876751900.png

Not everyone has student loans, our kids do not. But I get that some do.
We still need rural doctors.

We do need more rural doctors. The small rural hospital in our county was bought out by a foreign corporation and closed 6 years ago when Medicare would no longer do business with them. Before they closed they ripped off the local nurses and employees with bounced checks etc. Now to get medical care you have to go down the mountain and to the next county. Both of these about an hour away. Response time for emergency services takes longer now and many more airlifts required. Survival rates reflect that.

In our situation we use a local nurse practitioner whose elderly father is our neighbor and runs a small neighborhood clinic. I will say that he is probably one of the best medical professionals that I have ever seen. While a doctor does come in 3 days a week I have never seen him. Our nurse practitioner is thorough, local born and raised so knows many of his patients histories and is not afraid to admit when he doesn't know something and send you to another doctor for a second opinion. He seems extremely respected by his peers and spoken very highly of by the doctors in the area. I think that nurse practitioners can be a godsend to local communities that are underserved. While they have their limitations they are better than nothing.

All this talk about student loan forgiveness is crap. All of those that took loans knew up front they would have to repay them so I have no sympathy. Now if anyone wanted to fund a school for doctors to go either free or at least with reduced rates in exchange for a term of low pay community service, then I would back it 100%. Even some of these deadbeats that got worthless degrees might be able to perform some kind of community payback to help repay their loans. But I never think giving free money is a good idea.

I agree and have always been aware that the media owners are much more powerful than most realize. They have been manipulating the public for generations now. That being said, with the internet and some time you can find out more truth now than you could ever before.

Lol! You unintentional satire is priceless!

Sorry I’m very tired of arguing about cause of death of Covid patients.
Not going to even go Into that, as I am on day 5 of 6 twelve hour ICU shifts and I’m on my 4th death summary from someone dying of hypoxemic respiratory failure due to Covid.
If I thought it would make a difference I would be happy to go into it and spend a bunch of time to post about it here, but it really won’t, will it?

We can get to a decent hospital in 15 minutes by car, so not too bad. Around here are mostly amish who are uninsured. The hospital and docs give cash discounts. I only have insurance that covers me if I am admitted to the hospital (One Share Christian Insurance), so when I go in, I ask for a discount. I did find out that my cousin that is Amish gets a better discount than I do for the same doc. No fair. I should put on the dress and Kapp and I can pay less. I did take the neighbor and her two kids to a "doctor" Friday. She went to the "fancy chiropractor". Beautiful office in the bigger town, 20 min drive. Fancy. I think he's a quack, but didn't say anything to her. Kids had a cough, so he cleared their lungs of phlem by using a machine that showed a red dot on their skin of their chest. Kids had to sit still for 10 minutes. Don't think he would take insurance even if they had it. Cash. Lots of it.

I did take the neighbor and her two kids to a "doctor" Friday. She went to the "fancy chiropractor". Beautiful office in the bigger town, 20 min drive. Fancy. I think he's a quack, but didn't say anything to her. Kids had a cough, so he cleared their lungs of phlem by using a machine that showed a red dot on their skin of their chest. Kids had to sit still for 10 minutes. Don't think he would take insurance even if they had it. Cash. Lots of it.

Sounds like a quack especially a lots of cash practice. I always warn people of allowing neck manipulation by chiropractors as well.
Google vertebral artery dissection. I’ve taken care of a few patients with that. Scary stuff.

That's a good idea, Dr Jenner. One of our daughters is an ultrasound tech. She does alot of travel ultrasound and has enjoyed it, but has toyed with the idea of mobile ultrasound. Nursing homes and housebound people can benefit. But at the moment she is working at a hospital in Albuquerque.

Thinking about rural ICU mobile care(something along those lines)
Sounds like an excellent idea, as it would seem very useful and relevant in the aftermath of a disaster . . . like a nasty hurricane.

Mobile ICU care would have been intensely useful after Katrina hit the Big Easy.

Do you plan on utilizing any of the ideas that are behind a military MASH unit?

Thinking about rural ICU mobile care(something along those lines)
. My wife tried Mobile ultrasound. It just convinced GPs to buy their own machine and try to handle cases above their heads. She is coauthoring a text book on ultrasound.
I worked part time with one of her bosses with their mobile CT running the computer with a tech. Most of the GPs wanted a DVM on the truck because it was “outside” their clinic. So that ended up leaving me out. This Dr sold her clinic and is running 2 trucks in 2 cities. At one point she was trying to figure out MRI.
Just trying to give some perspective from Vet med. Good luck.

Sounds like a quack especially a lots of cash practice. I always warn people of allowing neck manipulation by chiropractors as well.
Google vertebral artery dissection. I’ve taken care of a few patients with that. Scary stuff.
I've always been uncomfortable about chiropractic neck manipulation.

In the normal ACLS standards (of many, many years ago), we used to use a technique called "carotid sinus massage" to convert a patient out of a sustained, supraventricular (ie: "narrow complex") tachycardia.

This procedure was discontinued when it was discovered that patients could have an embolic CVA if the massage process caused pieces of atherosclerotic plaque to break off from the lining of the carotid artery . . . and travel to the brain.

For a while, the ACLS protocols required us to listen for a bruit with a stethescope, but in this process, no one ever considered that auscultating a bruit while hauling ### with lights and sirens might be unrealistic . . . so the procedure was retired from our protocols.

I've always had concerns that chiropractic manipulation of the neck--especially if done in an aggressive manner with an older person--might create the same situation.

Last edited:
Sounds like an excellent idea, as it would seem very useful and relevant in the aftermath of a disaster . . . like a nasty hurricane.

Mobile ICU care would have been intensely useful after Katrina hit the Big Easy.

Do you plan on utilizing any of the ideas that are behind a military MASH unit?
I haven’t thought that far into it to be honest- just an idea I’ve been thinking about the last 18 months or so, hearing frustrations from rural docs.

Risks

Chiropractic adjustment is safe when it's performed by someone trained and licensed to deliver chiropractic care. Serious complications associated with chiropractic adjustment are overall rare, but may include:
  • A herniated disk or a worsening of an existing disk herniation
  • Compression of nerves in the lower spinal column
  • A certain type of stroke after neck manipulation
- Mayo Clinic
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chiropractic-adjustment/about/pac-20393513

Risks

Chiropractic adjustment is safe when it's performed by someone trained and licensed to deliver chiropractic care. Serious complications associated with chiropractic adjustment are overall rare, but may include:
  • A herniated disk or a worsening of an existing disk herniation
  • Compression of nerves in the lower spinal column
  • A certain type of stroke after neck manipulation
- Mayo Clinic
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chiropractic-adjustment/about/pac-20393513
I understand these points, and I'm (intensely) sympathetic toward anyone whom wishes to control pain without drugs . . . especially with this horrible opiate addiction and overdose epidemic.

Yet every medical procedure can have complications, and I wonder if the benefits outweigh the risks when it comes to chiropractic manipulation. Having a stroke from neck manipulation doesn't seem like a good trade-off, but I don't know what the numbers and statistics are.

Latest posts

Back