just getting started

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Rowdy from Mississippi, I am currently a teacher, I live on a nice size piece of land, I discuss prepping with my students often, Prepping is something I think a lot about, would like to get advice from experienced prepper's

Welcome Rowdy!

What level are you at already? Or, are there some specific things you want to know about? Some of us have prepped for a while, etc. but we ALL can learn from each other. It's a pretty friendly place, so feel free to ask questions, etc.

Welcome Rowdy!

What level are you at already? Or, are there some specific things you want to know about? Some of us have prepped for a while, etc. but we ALL can learn from each other. It's a pretty friendly place, so feel free to ask questions, etc.

Level? Zero, I reckon, I've got land with plenty of game, I don't have any stored food stuff, on are very close by is a lake, creek, ponds, and I've got underground springs all over my land. I've got cattle, in the near future I plan on getting chickens and pigs. I would like to know about solar energy, windmills, what type of food are others storing and how long they will last in storage, should I, with this much water around, be storing water?

Do you have a well? I do, but I still store water. It's too important a resource not to.

On windmills, your state (like mine) isn't going to see much power from them. You can google for wind maps. Solar though, is certainly a good option.

On food:

Mashed potato flakes, dry beans, rice, dry pasta, dry corn, etc. can last around 15 years if stored right.
Home-canned food is easily 5-10 years.
Store-canned food is 1-3 years.

Cattle and chickens are good, easy to keep and feed. Pigs take a bit more work. Of course, likely you have room to garden too.
But, if you have a regular job too, you have to find the time to do it all, etc.

Do you have a well? I do, but I still store water. It's too important a resource not to.

On windmills, your state (like mine) isn't going to see much power from them. You can google for wind maps. Solar though, is certainly a good option.

On food:

Mashed potato flakes, dry beans, rice, dry pasta, dry corn, etc. can last around 15 years if stored right.
Home-canned food is easily 5-10 years.
Store-canned food is 1-3 years.

Cattle and chickens are good, easy to keep and feed. Pigs take a bit more work. Of course, likely you have room to garden too.
But, if you have a regular job too, you have to find the time to do it all, etc.

15 years on the mashed potato flakes, beans and rice I did not know, thanks, that will be a starting point on some food. Learning to can food from a garden is on my list, also I've heard of canning your own meat.
Reading some other topics made me realize that what I really want is to be self sufficient.
What about trade items? I've actually thought about a small sawmill (around $3,000), to be able to trade lumber.

Self sufficient (or at least a degree of it) is really my goal too in all of it.
The way to store those items (rice, etc.) is food grade buckets, mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, etc. Google on how to preserve them, and you'll find several how to videos.
Not saying to order them from here, but go to beprepared.com to see the kinds of foods that can be stored.
Personally, I like the idea they have things like powdered butter, etc., that I can't make myself, but that would be good to stock.

Trade items are good, but you have to know the market for whatever you intend to trade, in your area. If no market, you're just wasting your time.

Self sufficient (or at least a degree of it) is really my goal too in all of it.
The way to store those items (rice, etc.) is food grade buckets, mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, etc. Google on how to preserve them, and you'll find several how to videos.
Not saying to order them from here, but go to beprepared.com to see the kinds of foods that can be stored.
Personally, I like the idea they have things like powdered butter, etc., that I can't make myself, but that would be good to stock.

Trade items are good, but you have to know the market for whatever you intend to trade, in your area. If no market, you're just wasting your time.

Thanks, your right about the market, just thinking out loud,

I think being self sufficient is a universal goal to most preppers(Those that know what is necessary anyways)... Each person has their own special situations that they'll need to focus on, which it sounds like you're well aware of. I think having land like that is a resource that most of us wish we had. Especially with game and water on site. Gardens and such are obviously a blessing, too.

Welcome and thanks for joining. I hope you find what you're looking for here. I hope you can share with us your insight as well... What do you teach, if I may ask?

What do you teach, if I may ask

My guess is going to be social sciences or history, as these seem to be the ones who know history repeats itself. ;)

My guess is going to be social sciences or history, as these seem to be the ones who know history repeats itself. ;)

Science, I also coach, but I like history. I will share this with you (yall), I do not have internet at home, so the only time I can participate on this forum is at school. Thanks for the welcome

Hi, I'm Rowdy from Mississippi, I am currently a teacher, I live on a nice size piece of land, I discuss prepping with my students often, Prepping is something I think a lot about, would like to get advice from experienced prepper's
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Latest posts

Back